Drainage IG32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpwrist

Vessel Name
River Horse
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy
Hi,
It's been constantly raining on my trip from Rockland ME to Galveston and we are now in New Bern, where we will probably keep our IG 32 for the winter. Rain exposes all the leaks
1) I noticed that the void under the water heater was filled with water and couldn't find anyway for it to escape... tough to see all the possible exit points. Does anyone know if there are any ways that this should drain.
2) The area under the flybridge station has a constant slow ingress of water. I cant' for he life of me see any indication from where it is coming. It doesn't look like it is from the wiper water lines.
3) This may show my ignorance, but how does the water drain from the stern compartment.? It is completely dry. There are bilge pumps in the engine room and the forward section, but I don't see drains from the stern going to the engine room or a bilge pump for back there.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Does the sun shine on the east coast?

Jos

Jos, welcome aboard. I`ll do my best based on my IG36.
1. Can`t comment. My HWS sits over the port stern gland, that area is drained.
2. Check the join between FB and "roof" at front leading edge. It can separate admitting water, forced in by wind pressure.
3. The 36 has a drain system around/across the lazarette hatch, with drains inside along the transom exiting either side of the hull well aft.
Pics of 1 & 2 might help.

Drainage

Thanks for the comments BruceK.

With respect to the HWS, it sits in the port stern side of the engine room, just aft of the fuel tanks. I can't see between the spaces of the platform holding up the HWS and the fuel tank. There is a "stringer" between the two, and I can't find a drain that connects through the "stringers". The space between the aft bulkhead and the two stringers is filled with water to the bottom of the water heater platform (caused by a small drip leak from the HWS which is now repaired). My nomenclature may be at fault, but by bulkhead I am referring to the three port to stern structural separations between the below decks of the forward cabin, engine room and lazerette. By stringer I am referring to the low port to stern and forward to aft structural components in the hull.

I'll check the flybridge and the roof tomorrow.

I may have miscommunicated regarding the lazarertte. I didn't mean on deck, but below deck in the lazarette. Assuming the bulkheads don't allow water between the engine room compartment and the lazerette, how does the lazerette drain. I'll recheck the manuals tomorrow.

Jos

On our boat there are limber holes between stringers and frames that allow drainage, including drainage from the lazarette into the engine room.

Thanks DWHatty. Just finished looking at the manual and saw the same. Sorry, I should have done that before asking and looking some more.

Jos

and with respect to the area under the water heater, I am almost certain there is no way built in to drain that area. I did it with a syphon. The only other similar area that is open to look at is the opposite starboard side and there is no drain there. (all the other areas have equipment on top.)

things do on a rainy day.

Jos

Maybe the area under the HWS was not expected to receive water and therefore not drained(overlooks leaking IG teak decks).
The lazarrette is pretty much sealed, the tight fitting hatches on the 32 and 36 are similar set ups I think, provided the drains around them work you should not get (much) water in the lazarrette. My lazarrette can drain to the ER.
Good luck with the fwd water entry. The boxed in area at the inside top of the front windows can be inspected by unscrewing some panels. Outside there is a timber moulding over the joint, look for any defect in that area.

Back
Top Bottom