Total rookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JC wrote:

What does everybody think of the Ranger Tugs? Too small to be comfy?** (They have scored very high on the "charm" factor).* How about the older Nordic 26s?
They are nice little boats if trailering is a must. Otherwise, you can buy a lot more boat for less money in the used market.*

Carey

Another smaller trailerable boat that one could buy and use for a year or two and sell w little loss would be the McGreggor 26 motor sailer. They employ a 50 hp outboard and cruise at 14 knots or so. They seem to make a good family boat. Could be a very user friendly boat but like most sail boats they have an open cockpit aft so would be wet in the rain. But when I think how easy it would be to manage it looks good.

Start by reading as much of this website ,

www.yachtsurvey.com/

as you can.

Probably your first boat wont be a "trawler".

No problem , get a boat with a low "Round Trip" cost (what you purchase it for --- what you sell it for)

This will get your feet wet , anmdd let you decide what portion of the boating hobby you enjoy.

Is it the vessel, or the destination ? an ongoing question.

Enjoy,.

During my visits to the last three boat shows in San Diego, I found myself onboard the various models of Ranger Tugs. Impressive little boats but the operative word is LITTLE.
Though these boats have a nifty list of "extras", they are quite small for anything other than a day outing. Like others have eluded to, if your main concern is trailering, then these just might be the ticket although the price of going new is quite high.

Attachments

• r-29.jpg
    r-29.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 74
My choice for a 26' seaworthy vessel is not the "trawler" wannabees. It is something along the lines of a C Dory that can get up and move while still getting 2 mpg. Lots to choose from out there.*This summer I spent time on a 30' twin diesel I/O*Osprey and it was really something. It could fish six, sleep two for ever in style and got an honest 1.75 mpg at a 75% cruise at 25 knots. It easily can be hauled*on interstates with a 2500 series pickup. These types of boats are made for the PNW waters and climate.

Walt,The ranger 29 is 10' wide. But it's light. Enough throttle will bare all of it's stem and a bit of her keel. I won't call it a trawler but Passage Maker magazine did. I agree w Fred * ...good round trip cost.
Tom,
What makes you think the Osprey is more seaworthy than the average boat? They are popular and good boats (I hear) and frequently charter boats but I don't see anything special about them. The efficiency will only prevail in fairly flat water. Three foot seas and the pounding and fuel sucking begins. The Sea Dory is somewhat popular here and I don't understand it. Why would anyone want to go any distance in a place like Clarence Strait
w such a light and flat bottomed boat * * .....but they do. You can buy three 26' Bayliners instead and that's a lot more seaworthy and comfortable boat (if without FB). I think they sell because ther'e good looking. I love the cabin lines.

If I were going C-dory....I would go Tomcat!!!!

While not trailer-able, the Nordic 32 or 37 could be good choices for the semi-protected waters (often subject to*strong winds, high chop, and*fast tides)*of the San Francisco Bay and Delta area.* There are a lot of shallow areas, so it is wise to have a keel fully protecting the propeller and shaft.**Nordics have engines three-times*more powerful*than necessary for a trawler, but*are capable of*higher-than-trawler speeds*if you don't mind large fuel bills*when/if operating at higher RPMs.* There is an active, supportive*Nordic Tug group in the area if you want some comradeship.* That could be a big plus for you.* San Francisco Bay Area Nordic Tug Association:

http://www.sfbanta.org/

In my recent search for a trawler for use in the Bay Area, I seriously considered Nordic Tugs; however, there were some desired features I wanted, such as a 360-degree deck, the Nordics didn't provide.* Still, that doesn't mean they wouldn't be right for you.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 27th of September 2010 01:49:50 PM

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 27th of September 2010 03:36:15 PM

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 27th of September 2010 03:39:06 PM

OK, here is where we are:

1. I am enrolling in a Power Station class (thanks, Eric).
2. Boat show was fun, but small.* It did highlight the appeal of a tug.
3. Trailing is NOT a big concern...in fact no concern at all.
4. The tugs do seem expensive...is this just supply/demand, or is something else going on?* Have the prices fallen less for tugs than for trawlers in general, or are there just fewer tugs around?* Tugs in general seem more "loaded" with extras than the other trawlers, but that could be my imagination.
5. Tugs appeal because of the "charm" factor, and the fact that (to parphrase a poster) we really only want a boat big enough to entertain 8, feed 4-6, and/or sleep 2.* One berth seems plenty.
6. How big of a deal is it to ship a boat from out of the area?* I see quotes around $1500 from socal up to the Bay area, and $5k to ship from the east coast.* Bad idea?
7. Probably going to try and visit a Ranger and a Nordic dealer next weekend and see if we can bum a ride, even tho the new ones are very pricey.

JC

JC wrote:

5.*... we really only want a boat big enough to entertain 8, feed 4-6, and/or sleep 2.* One berth seems plenty.
That was the philosophy of George Buehler who designed my under-construction 35x13-foot trawler.* Quoting George: "Oddly, the RV industry figured out years ago that most rigs are used by a couple, a fact that the boating industry still hasnt caught on to. Rather than emphasize multiple sleeping quarters and bathrooms, practically all RVs, from 22' 5th wheels to monster half-million dollar diesel pusher motorhomes, will have just one bathroom, big enough for a westerner to use, a kitchen big enough to actually cook in, one comfortable bed for the owners, and a couch that converts to a guest bed. The typical RV is designed to be comfortable for the owners! COOT follows this philosophy to the letter."

JC wrote:
6. How big of a deal is it to ship a boat from out of the area?* I see quotes around $1500 from socal up to the Bay area, and $5k to ship from the east coast.* Bad idea?

JC
we were looking at a trawler in So Cal and looked into shipping.* Word of caution on those quotes.* That is for the SHIPPING ONLY.* You also have to get the boat out of the water, onto the trailer and prepped for transit.* When it is delivered you then have to reverse the process--get it put back together and put back in the water.* There are height restrictions and things may have to be removed / lowered to comply with the height restrictions and things must be secured.* The prep work can add up fast.* Just be aware!

I can only reiterate what I said before, look at LOTS of boats, online and in person, to get a feel for what you really want.** The invitation is always open for*boat tours at coyote point.*

Your number 5 answered your number 4.....AND they are American made...which is more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom