Brand new to trawling, need some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Majimbo

I am a young man of 30 and I want to spend my golden years on the ocean.* I want to buy a trawler in the very near future.* Basically my question(s) are:

1. I want to buy a trawler that will allow me to travel the world, so I think I need one with some speed, one which will allow me to cross the ocean.*

2.* I want the interior customized to my liking, should I undertake the project myself? ( I used to build cabinets so I'm can do woodwork, but never in a marine application)

3.* What was the one thing about boating that you were never told but wish you were?

Thank you,

Majimbo

What was the one thing about boating that you were never told but wish you were?

Not THE right question,

What someone failed to tell YOU is speed is very very expensive in a boat.

If range is required (you don't run out of fuel 300 miles into a 2000mile crossing) a displacement boat is required.

A boat with a 36 ft length on the water line LWL, will cross oceans at 6K

A boat with a 64 ft LWL will go 8K.

Finally few pleasure boats in the world ,( regardless of what the add dept calls them) are actually Ocean Worthy .

The scantlings and equippment and vessel and layout are about $300% more expensive than a coastal or dockside boat.

Start at the local library ,

"What was the one thing about boating that you were never told but wish you were?"

Maybe consider walking away and doing something else - now. Why.....? Because once it gets in your blood you're hooked worse than heroin, and there's no getting away - similarly it is expensive........sigh.....having just forked out about $10,500 for hull re-spray, anti-fouling, and some other repairs.* But crikey, she looks terrific, and hey....it's only money......

-- Edited by Peter B on Saturday 25th of September 2010 04:09:10 AM

Iv'e never heard of people in their 30s thinking about their golden years. You're a planner to be sure and did you think about your mid-life when you were a teenager? I always was amazed over people that knew they were going to be cook or an engineer when they were 14. And then did it. I've always just evolved and I seem to like it but I admire people that can plan ahead and then follow the course. You seem to have come to the right place as trawlering is definitely for old people but not too old. I'm 70 and maintenance on the boat is getting a little more difficult. I'm focused less on modifications and improvements and more about keeping things running well as they are. I'd like to put an Aqua Drive in my boat but i've done it before and it's just too much work. I do know a boat that is especially good for older people in that it's a safe boat and requires less maintenance than any boat I know of ... by a wide margin. The boat is the Albin 25. It's a swedish boat w 6 to 9 knot cruising speed usually powered by a 3 cyl diesel of 25 to 35 hp. Nice ones sell for about $20K.You will be able to boat further into your "golden years" than w any other boat that I know of. Much better advice would be to make as much money and keep as much money as you can and then when you get "golden" you can buy whatever you want and need. The other side of the coin is to realize you won't be in your 30s very long and to do the things you WANT to do. Don't just think about them * * * *do them.
Then when you've done the suit tie and get ahead stuff and also rode a motorcycle across Africa and bummed around europe for a few years * * ...find your balance. Then you will know what you want and need and can pick a boat easily yourself * *.... or know a boat is not for you. But if you're one of hose guys that knows at 14 * ....

"Golden years" are likely those lost years when we couldn't afford what we can now afford, and were timid about doing it anyway. I think about all the energy I had 20 yrs ago, compared to what I have now. Those were indeed "golden years".
What nobody told me? Well they probably tried, but I wasn't listening: life is too short. You will never regret the things you did, only the things you didn't do.

Good topic with some thoughtful answers. I'm paying attention.

Boats that go slow full displacement hull speed cross oceans in the 50+ ft range that has the hull length and the fuel capacity.* Very few boats have the capability and very few boaters can afford or need a boat with the capability.

The interior is about the same as a land dwelling and/or a RV.* So you can change/remodel it you want to as long as you do not change the load bearing structure.* Boat have load bearing bulk heads much like house have load bearing walls.* What you do/change in between is up to you.* On a blue water boat most things are fixed screwed/tied down and stowed, much like a sail boat.* We have no free standing furniture its all built in or attached to the floor and/or walls.

Not to buy and live on a boat to early in live as boats cost of lot to maintain and keep.*** We bought our boat when we were 47 that was 15 years ago.* It would have been cheaper and less maintenance to live on the dirt and bought a smaller boat for the area.* Boat cost a lot of money and time, and usually not a very good investment.*

So you have a experience and learning curve a head of you and I thnk your are to young to know what you want!* Heck I am twice your age and I still do not know!

I'm 40, just bought my first trawler earlier this month after years of sailing.* I have sailed from San Francisco to Hawaii and I learned that I didn't find it all that fun.* The cramped quarters on a 42' sailboat with six others and not enough water for showers was not my cup of tea.*

My husband and I are enjoying the trawler and can see the Great Loop in our future and maybe coastal cruising on the east coast.*

Nobody ever told me that most likely the first boat you buy will not be the last!* It may seem perfect but then you will find "I wish I had this" "I wish I didn't have that" maybe two, three, eight boats later you will finally have THE ONE.* Or you will decide you did okay and make do with what you have.* After owning 30', 32' and 42' sailboats I am quite happy with a 35' trawler and find "smaller is better" for me--easier to handle with the two of us and every foot costs you in maintenance.*

Anyway, I am sure we could all go on for days on this topic...

Majimbo wrote:

... I want to buy a trawler that will allow me to travel the world, so I think I need one with some speed, one which will allow me to cross the ocean.* ...
You'll need to do it slow and steady, doing about 150 miles or so a day.* To travel the world, you need a seaworthy and well-equipped boat with an efficient engine and large tankage.* And good luck/judgement with the weather.

The cheapest, most comfortable,*and safest way to cross an ocean on water*is*with a cruise ship.* It is also*at least*three times faster than by trawler.* But that subject is verboten, isn't it?

Pineapple Girl wrote:"maybe two, three, eight boats later you will finally have THE ONE.* "
Since 1995 I have owned 8 boats. Ranging in length from 54' to 29'. Everyone of
them was a compromise. It took me that long to be absolutely honest and realistic
about what I knew the boats mission would be. No dreaming about cruising********
Mexico, going on the bill fishing circuit, etc. Just the reality of dinner cruises on
San Diego Bay, going fishing offshore 3 times a year or up to Catalina Island***
once a year. Mix in frequent bass fishing on the South Bay. Anything more than
that was totally unexpected and a bonus. Since I arrived at that mind set, my wife
and I have been very happy with SeaHorse ll.

My friend, next to my slip , is a very wealthy guy who knows what he wants in a
boat and is very clear about the boat's mission. He drives a 32' Maxim Express with gas engines and he has had it for 13 years. This guy could buy anything he wants but is happy with what he has.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 27th of September 2010 01:30:17 PM

Attachments

• dsc07046.jpg
    dsc07046.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 80
Majimbo wrote:

*2.* I want the interior customized to my liking, should I undertake the project myself? ( I used to build cabinets so I'm can do woodwork, but never in a marine application
First thing about boats and cabinet making. They don't go together. Nothing on a boat is level or straight.* Most things need to be scribed and joined.
If you buy used the first thing will be to fix all the leaks, ( Just about all boats have a leak or two on the topside) or all your hard won cabinet making will be for naught.**

As far as fast boat's go you won't be making an ocean crossing in a fast boat. You can't carry enough fuel to go fast. Unless you are independantly wealthy.
If so buy the biggest boat you can find or have it custom made to your specs. You could have fuel air lifted and dropped along the way.

By all means hang out on the forum and you will learn a lot about the boats we all have and love.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 27th of September 2010 02:43:12 PM

skipperdude wrote:

... Unless you are independantly wealthy. ...
capable of supporting a hugely spendthrift life-style.

Yeah. I'll buy that, *but that word*** (Spend Thrift)
An oxymoron if I ever heard one.

How can you spend and still be thrifty.* Especially when It comes to a boat.
*B bring
*O out
*A another
*T* thousand.

SD*

I want the interior customized to my liking, should I undertake the project myself? ( I used to build cabinets so I'm can do woodwork, but never in a marine application.

HMMM, what "customizing" will only be found on your interior that isn't std ?

For me I would build in a wide centerboard trunk that would be used to stabelize the boat like stuck thru the sides fins.The board would be driven to create righting moment , so would need to be wide.

A grounding would simply pop the board up as usual on any centerboard boat.

The stuck thru the side fins are "supposed" to sheer off (at a cost of $10,000 each) but many have not , and created huge holes in the boat.Shallow water is part of cruising.

I would install baseboard finned heat tubing while installing the interior to cut the electrical loads while heating as low as can be done.( EX 20+ year northern liveaboard).

I would install the galley so the good sized Servelle Propane fridge/freezer was above the waterline and in a self draining overboard tray.

What do you need?

You don't mention how much boating experience you have. If you haven't driven a big boat, you might consider chartering some boats, taking some sea- and helmsmanship lessons along the way. That's what I did last year, and the money I spent was returned many times over when I bought and started using my boat this year.

FatPauly
Ellicott City, Maryland
Carver Santego 30 "Knot Home"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom