End of Production

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 62 May as well have been made from unobtanium for me personally, but have always thought it was the best looking boat Nordhavn ever made.

+1 on the Norhavn 62 it's my favorite even though it might as well have been made of pure 24 carat Gold. It's still nice to dream.....
Bill

I think we are up to +4 on the 62. I don't think I would buy any of the others. Oops, I almost forgot about the 59CP.

Perhaps the market's tanked.
Or they have a replacement on the drawing boards .. or better.

Greetings,
My memory dims. I vaguely recall being on one, oh many, many years ago and not being impressed. Is the 62 the one where one has to crawl around the ER on hands and knees? Seemed like a very small ER space on such a large boat.

I always liked the looks a lot too.... until I spent some time on one. I was surprised how busy and circuitous the inside was, and how cramped the engine room was ( not full stand up for one thing). About the only thing I ended up liking about it was the pilot house and its upper back porch.

This was one of the early boats, originally owned by a guy known in the trawler community who made his fortune in computer games and I believe produced the documentary on the Nordhavn Atlantic Rally (Ken something)? After cruising the Med for a little while he sold the boat and moved up to one of the new style 68's, IIRC. I saw the boat in late 2007, on the hard at Thunderbolt Marine in Georgia. It had been bought by a famous New York artist and brought over from Malta by a professional captain, a super nice guy who we befriended and who gave us the tour in exchange for some of Ann's home cooking. Most of his experience had been on big sail boats. The artist kept the boat docked at his studio in Brooklyn. At some point (not at Thunderbolt) the new owner had the hull painted a matte black, which showed off a rather unfair hull. The stainless steel was a little sketchy too. I may have pics in the deep archives somewhere.

So, the boat had made two crossings; I don't remember if it came to New York from California on its own bottom or not. And that's my Nordhavn 62 story!

I always liked the looks a lot too.... until I spent some time on one. I was surprised how busy and circuitous the inside was, and how cramped the engine room was ( not full stand up for one thing). About the only thing I ended up liking about it was the pilot house and its upper back porch.

This was one of the early boats, originally owned by a guy known in the trawler community who made his fortune in computer games and I believe produced the documentary on the Nordhavn Atlantic Rally (Ken something)? After cruising the Med for a little while he sold the boat and moved up to one of the new style 68's, IIRC. I saw the boat in late 2007, on the hard at Thunderbolt Marine in Georgia. It had been bought by a famous New York artist and brought over from Malta by a professional captain, a super nice guy who we befriended and who gave us the tour in exchange for some of Ann's home cooking. Most of his experience had been on big sail boats. The artist kept the boat docked at his studio in Brooklyn. At some point (not at Thunderbolt) the new owner had the hull painted a matte black, which showed off a rather unfair hull. The stainless steel was a little sketchy too. I may have pics in the deep archives somewhere.

So, the boat had made two crossings; I don't remember if it came to New York from California on its own bottom or not. And that's my Nordhavn 62 story!

Yep, Ken & Roberta Williams.

Greetings,
My memory dims. I vaguely recall being on one, oh many, many years ago and not being impressed. Is the 62 the one where one has to crawl around the ER on hands and knees? Seemed like a very small ER space on such a large boat.

I was just talking with the local boatyard manager who has had lots of experiences with Nordhavns and he had the same comment about the ER space on the 62. That and the nasty squat the unbustled stern versions had.

But it is a beautiful boat. It plus the early 50 & 57 have my vote. The first 46 and the rest don't turn my eye in the same way.

The 62 for good reason has had lots of followers. But, a close look at the equally "aft pilot house design" for the N63 shows a 15 year newer design with few sacrifices and a very workable engine room and machinery space.

Sorry Chaps,
I couldn't jump in sooner, I was half-masting the flag, then drinking the remaining sorrows away.:cry:
I figure the only way to show our respects is to put some miles under the keel. We head for Hawaii, Nov. 1st, wx permitting. :dance:

Sorry Chaps,
I couldn't jump in sooner, I was half-masting the flag, then drinking the remaining sorrows away.:cry:
I figure the only way to show our respects is to put some miles under the keel. We head for Hawaii, Nov. 1st, wx permitting. :dance:

That is FANTASTIC!

Personally I think the Nordhavn 62 is one of the best looking boats ever built!

Craig,

Are the yellow tank models in the OP link the hull form of the 62?

If so I had no idea the 62 had a rounded stern like is shown in the pics.

Yes Eric, the original tank test models from 30 or so years ago.

Tom of course is correct about the 63 assessment being an improved newer design. Trade offs aside I still prefer the looks of the 62 but I'm not Nordhavn's target market either. As you can tell from my avatar I like boats with that old school look regardless of if it's truly most functional. I also like old trucks too though I daily drive a 2009 F-250.

Last edited:
Ken and Roberta's was purchased by the Icelandic singer Bjork.

Thanks Craig,
She's a lot like a W30 except not as full aft ... no doubt more efficient. Wonder what her beam, draft ect are. If Willy was a 31' version of the N62 she'd probably be narrower w a more full cross section something like a Fisher. I probably would prefer Willy's greater beam and stability w/o stabs.

Glad to see it as I thought she had a squarish stern like most the other Nordhav'n's. Thanks Craig.

LOA 62'-8"
LWL 55'-6"
Beam 19'-4"
Draft 6'-5"
Displacement 155,000lbs
325 hp Lugger

Are the specs from the brochure.

LOA 62'-8"
LWL 55'-6"
Beam 19'-4"
Draft 6'-5"
Displacement 155,000lbs
325 hp Lugger

Are the specs from the brochure.

After hull no.9, the 'bustle' became a standard feature on the N62, losing the rounded, full stern that Manyboats (& others) love so much. See photo attached. The bustle was augmented to the design to stop her 'squatting' under power, and adding more LWL, which increases efficiency (speed/range). It's a boat, so everything is a compromise.

DOH! forgot photo :facepalm:

Attachments

• BUSTLE.jpg
    BUSTLE.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 338

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom