FRAM CCS1136 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Sometime ago, someone asked for advice on which end is up on a Fram ccs1136 fuel filter. I was sorting through my boat records and found an instruction sheet from FRAM covering that topic. A good way to remember is that the end that has printing on it, is the top even though they no longer say "top" on the filter itself. Attached is the original instructions:

Attachments

• FRAM CCS1136.jpg
    FRAM CCS1136.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 541
Greetings,
Mr. E. I hope Fram fuel filters have a better reputation that their oil filters. I belong to several off road (Jeep) sites and nobody has anything good to say about Fram oil filters.

Greetings,
Mr. E. I hope Fram fuel filters have a better reputation that their oil filters. I belong to several off road (Jeep) sites and nobody has anything good to say about Fram oil filters.

38 years later and thousands of gallons of No. 2 oil through them and still on the original injector pumps and injectors on two mains and a generator. I guess it must just be good luck then?? :confused:

Those Fram fuel filters have a GREAT reputation...the Cat reps told me I was a fool to lose them to Racors.

I kept them to make a polishing system but will gladly sell them as I don't need polishing any ore if I can find them.

Those Fram fuel filters have a GREAT reputation...the Cat reps told me I was a fool to lose them to Racors.

I kept them to make a polishing system but will gladly sell them as I don't need polishing any ore if I can find them.

I was told the same thing about the Fram fuel filters being top notch. I installed new fuel filter Frams on my Perkins 4-154's in my Gulfstar.
Bill

I buy them online by the case and they average out to be around $10 each.

But you can also find the filter elements at Napa 3436, Wix 33436 and Baldwin PF936 for a little more.

Last edited:
Greetings,

You're not the only one.I think,or know in my situation,that pressure was a problem for fram oil filters.I built a nicely massaged and warmed up AMC 304 in my CJ5.On a cold winter morning,oil pressure could spike to 90psi at first start, but usually idle pressure warm was 60psi and running pressure was max at 72psi warm.All of my bearings were on the tight side of the tolerances which caused my oil pressure woes.I also think the soild lift cam and lifters helped encourage that problem.Anyway,one winter morn,I started the ole girl.Stepped out to let her warm up,and BAM!Luckily,I was close enough to shut it down before any damage happened.May be due to quality oil too.Upon inspection,the filter had blown out where it's crimped together.I had an oil filter relocation kit on the fire.Oil coated everything on that side of the engine bay.That was the last time I used Fram on any non stock engines.I wouldn't use them on anything that goes in water or bores holes in the sky.

>That was the last time I used Fram on any non stock engines<

Consumer reports tested filters on NYC taxicabs (not hot rods tho frequently driven that way) and got the best results with FRAM.

The Fram fuel filters are superb , but fell out of favor as they have to be drained to remove the water, a glance at a plastic bowl is less work than PM.

The DD truck filters are far better than the Raycor , but doesnt come with a little SS hat that claims to resist a 2 min burn test.

The Pilot boats use them , but they dont much care about ABYC regulations , only USCG.

Last edited:
I've heard all the web rumors about Fram filters and most of them are along the lines of what Ben described above, crimp failure. In my decades of off road jeeps and sand rails I've been first hand eye witness to about 10 such failures. Only 1 was a Fram.

I'm convinced the genesis of the rumors is simply due to the large market share enjoyed by Fram, more units in use should lead to more failures but not necessarily because of quality. Of the 10 I've seen first hand 7 of them definitely showed evidence of an impact of some sort. Two Wix and one Motorcraft showed no obvious reason for the crimp failure.

Considering the filter is about the weakest thing on any wheeler there's no excuse leaving the road without a spare IMO. I've helped 5 guys over the years self rescue with my spare and have never needed it myself.

For what it's worth, and not everyone will be in agreement, but FYI here's a comparison of oil filters. If you google other filters, ie marine, fuel, there may be other comparisons. If you find a more credible comparison, please post.

Sorry didn't paste the link..

I've heard all the web rumors about Fram filters and most of them are along the lines of what Ben described above, crimp failure. In my decades of off road jeeps and sand rails I've been first hand eye witness to about 10 such failures. Only 1 was a Fram.

I'm convinced the genesis of the rumors is simply due to the large market share enjoyed by Fram, more units in use should lead to more failures but not necessarily because of quality. Of the 10 I've seen first hand 7 of them definitely showed evidence of an impact of some sort. Two Wix and one Motorcraft showed no obvious reason for the crimp failure.

Considering the filter is about the weakest thing on any wheeler there's no excuse leaving the road without a spare IMO. I've helped 5 guys over the years self rescue with my spare and have never needed it myself.

Impacts are the reason for my filter relocation.I always carried supplies for a complete oil change.Never know when I may swamp the engine or roll over.I've gave up a few filters and oil for rescues before too.

I always carried supplies for a complete oil change.

On a cruiser the requirement is enough oil for at least 3 changes.

Should the engine somehow get water or worse antifreez at least 2 changes will be required.

Some folks have used diesel for the first change when desperate.

Also required is a place to store the watered oil, a bunch of empty 5 gal oil pails.

Never a problem with Fram fuel filter and seperator unit which has been on my Bruno since 1971 no problems with IP or injectors either (injectors tuned up ocasionally)

Called them for net grommets inside the filters a couple of years ago and they sent entire new "bowls" N/C.

Less mess to change than the Racors in my Willard and fireproof as well

Back
Top Bottom