New Jersey cruising advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
We are in Cape May and planning to run north to New York City. My original plan was to run out side with stops at Atlantic City, Barnegat and Manasquan before NYC. Problem is the weather is forecasted to be 10-15 gust to 25 out of the NE for the rest of the week. I have read a few other threads and they indicate the outside is a no-go. The ICW is the alternate route but all I hear is horror stories about running aground in the Jersey ICW. Does anybody have fresh knowledge of the ICW in Jersey?

From Cape May to ACY there's only a few with the knowledge of the ICW that I have...being an active assistance tower from Corsons Inlet to Cape May.

High Wire knows the waters around Cape May well too.

As long as you only draw 4 feet...there are a few trouble spots that need to be travelled from the last three of the rising to the first three of the falling...it's no worse than the ICW all the way to Fl.

I am up behind Townsends Inlet about 15 miles to the North...you can always call either assistance towing company and ask for specifics...but at 4 foot draft...6 hrs a day is a cinch moving around.

If you would like shoot me a PM I'll see if I can run down and point out the specific areas on your chart.

Last edited:
Wednesday and Thursday look particularly funky for the ocean. Tomorrow not so bad depending on your boat and tolerance. Do what's right for you and your vessel and peace of mind. Never did much time or distance at all on the ICW there, and that was long ago, have to defer to locals on that. Always took the Atlantic. I think it would be fun to go inside on a weekday.

Marine Forecast | Weather Underground

Please use caution at LEI aka Holgate shoaling is almost out to the 3 mile bell and well into the inlet. The inlet at Little Egg can go from 50 feet to ankle deep water on the north side of the so called channel. Between AC and Barnegat the ICW is very skinny I'd suggest calling SeaTow and getting some local knowledge. In addition Barnegat has a partially submerged jetty during high tide I believe it's on the south side of the inlet. Between AC and Barnegat the ICW is poorly marked, ever changing and around 108 and 114 the water can be 2 feet deep at high tide well between the ICW markings. Taking it slow and at trawler speeds (if the props are protected) should keep you out of many of the problems faster boats have with groundings and bent or destroyed props. I know the inside well but would prefer the Atlantic if I wanted to make anytime at all. Local knowledge rules on this part of the ICW and the Atlantic is flat out nasty if the weather is funky and no fun at all. If I had to use any inlets they would be Cape May, Atlantic City, then Barnegat but check on the submerged jetty (I really forget which side it's on) and Manasquan or Belmar. From there on it's all outside to NYC or the Hudson.
Bill

Last edited:
In the last 3 weeks probably 50 cruisers in all kinds of vessels have cruised by my marina. I have not responded to one of them and I really haven't heard of Brand X responding either.

I think the word is out and people are travelling at high tide and the 3 hrs before/after it....no big deal...as I said at some point it's no worse than some of the spots o the other ICW like mud river and behind Shallots inlet...etc...etc...

If you want to leisurely move north...and not get beat up...the NJ Intracoastal has some nice spots to stop and walk around/dine....

The Cape may County Zoo is an award winner and there is an Enterprise car rental that is local and probably can be easily had for some fun touring. There are also a few vineyards in the county that have weekly wine tastings (maybe now the season is over...only on weekends).

At any rate...it's nothing to be feared...just respected and with a few pointers...really no big deal in anything less than 50 feet. I've run plenty of 50+ yachts through here and pushed many a work barge....it can be pleasant or a chore...all you have to do is pick the tides, your speed and rely on your expertise to make it what you want it to be.

Also there are inlets like Townsends Inlet that while the buoys are not marked on a chart..is VERY easy to navigate with a phone call for local knowledge...so there's more options than what the naysayers may lead you to believe.

Last edited:
My buddy just did the NJ ICW from Barnegat to Cape May last week in a 45' CHB trawler drawing a little over 4'. He ran aground 4-5 times but was always able to get off by himself. He said that there was always water but sometimes not between the markers.

My take is that it is doable with a 4' draft even if you don't play the tides, but like my buddy you are going to meet a few mud flats and sand bars along the way.

David

I can GUARANTEE there are 2 spots with a 4 foot draft you will stop dead in your tracks with a -0.5 tide between Cape May and Townsends Inlet....there's no water IN or OUT of the channel...even after the dredge left just south of Stone Harbor.

If you are travelling on a +0.5 tide with an easterly wind...maybe...but don't try it on the opposite or you will meet me or my buddy from Brand X if you want to get going sooner.:eek:

Why make it stressfull when you don't have to? There usually at least 6 hours or more travel a day...use it to your advantage..

....or as I said..I can circle at least some of the spots on the chart between Cape May and Atlantic City...it may cost a cold beer though...:D

Psneel, I might take you up on you "request" for a cold beer. I will be heading your way in a few weeks on my way south.
"I am up behind Townsends Inlet about 15 miles to the North...you can always call either assistance towing company and ask for specifics...but at 4 foot draft...6 hrs a day is a cinch moving around".

but no beer till after I make thru NJ and down to Cape May.

Psneel, I might take you up on you "request" for a cold beer. I will be heading your way in a few weeks on my way south.
"I am up behind Townsends Inlet about 15 miles to the North...you can always call either assistance towing company and ask for specifics...but at 4 foot draft...6 hrs a day is a cinch moving around".

but no beer till after I make thru NJ and down to Cape May.

post or shoot a PM if if you have any questions when you get to NJ waters.

Thanks for all the advice. Based on psneelds input and talking to cruisers here in Cape May that have just came down through the ICW I don't think its a big deal if you catch the 6 hours of mid to mid tide. That being said we have cancelled the trip. I was going to leave today but gale force wind forecast nixed that. We will hold up here and maybe run the Delaware bay north on Friday. Learning everyday!
Dave

Sorry to hear you aborted the trip. Saturday or especially Sunday look like slightly more fun for doing the Delaware, but if you are from the Chesapeake the chop will seem familiar. There are worse fates than hanging around Cape May for a few days, we really like it there.

Marine Forecast | Weather Underground

Thanks for all the advice. Based on psneelds input and talking to cruisers here in Cape May that have just came down through the ICW I don't think its a big deal if you catch the 6 hours of mid to mid tide. That being said we have cancelled the trip. I was going to leave today but gale force wind forecast nixed that. We will hold up here and maybe run the Delaware bay north on Friday. Learning everyday!
Dave

You may want to rethink Friday.

My report shows gusting to 25 knots out of the Northwest with a peak 2 knot incoming tidal current mid to late Monday morning.

I saw similar conditions last year leaving Cape May and had to slow to 4 knots as I was punching into 5 footers going up the bay (typical for incoming against the NW wind when you get up around Egg Island Point (about 15 NW of Cape May).

Dangerous? No, just a might uncomfy.

That much northwest wind in a shallow part of the Delaware Bay with the tide coming in strong against the wind creates some solid waves too small to glide over and too big to avoid easily. They can be real smashers. I grew up on that stretch of water, always had to be careful in the winter when the blue howlers came down out of Canada.

I have been to New Jersey about two times in my life but have no experience of cruising there. After visiting this thread I am feeling it is one of the most enjoyable activities of this region.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom