View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
No discussion of descaling products for heat exchangers would be complete without mentioning Rydlyme.

Rydlyme is an HCL and organic salt solution (8%-10%) product, and has a safe (2.8) PH level. It is biodegradable and safe around skin and eyes. It is approved for use on USCG and EPA vessels.

Barnacle Buster is Phosphoric Acid-based (85%) product, and has a very low (1.0) PH level. It is biodegradable and generally safe around skin and eyes, some light irritation possible with prolonged exposure. It is not approved for use on USCG and EPA vessels.

I have used both products on marine diesels and air conditioning systems and both work very well. My preference is Rydlyme because it is readily available in my area. If I could not find it, I would not hesitate to use Barnacle Buster.

Larry
M/V Boomarang
I spoke with a tech at Rydlyme. He said best to remove zinc first and install new after flushing. Not actually necessary... however, he mentioned: Rydlyme will devour the zinc and in so doing some of the solution's cleaning effectiveness on other items in the heat exchanger will be somewhat diminished.

http://www.apexengineeringproducts.c...dlymedescaler/
Art is offline   Reply With Quote