Looking at Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, we looked at a boat yesterday and we might put in an offer, but the question is now, after reading what Bligh went through with his engine surveyor, can anyone recommend someone in the Sacramento Delta area that will do a good job? Sound like the guy that did Bligh's didn't do anything other than look at the paint. Thanks as always :)

I’ve used them both. List Marine (Tom List) is renowned throughout Bay Area. Tim Wiest is a fine independent mechanic. He as well accomplishes other important marine items. Hope one or the other is close enough and has time to accommodate your needs. Tell either... Art sent cha!

Good Luck! - Art

Complete Shop:
List Marine is a full-service Marine Engine Shop. Located in Sausalito since 1984.http://www.listmarine.com/

Independent Mechanic:
Tim Wiest: Cell - 510.414.7084 / timwiest@yahoo.com

Thanks Art, I will give them a call when the time comes to start hiring surveyors. I hope the Bay Area is not to far for Mr. List or the other.
KSanders, we looked at an older boat this weekend and it seems to be in OK shape, not a 10 but not a 1 either. So, the survey will tell us a lot I hope. It has a lot of the "classic" features I like (wife, not so much), kind of reminds me of the "African Queen" but not that small ;) so you think all boats that age which look good should be Ok? I know about the tanks, stringers, ect. Any major things to look for not mentioned by Adelaide? Thanks for the help, we are getting closer to joining the Trawler ranks :thumb:
One quick question, can I work with the surveyor to request certain inspections or are they supposed to look at all things. I would like to avoid the things Bligh went through:whistling:

I'm a huge fan of the Roughwater 42 with twin 8.2 Detroits nice space and a great pilothouse.
I couldn't find any anywhere near NJ when I was in the market for a 42.
Bill

Thanks Art, I will give them a call when the time comes to start hiring surveyors. I hope the Bay Area is not to far for Mr. List or the other.
KSanders, we looked at an older boat this weekend and it seems to be in OK shape, not a 10 but not a 1 either. So, the survey will tell us a lot I hope. It has a lot of the "classic" features I like (wife, not so much), kind of reminds me of the "African Queen" but not that small ;) so you think all boats that age which look good should be Ok? I know about the tanks, stringers, ect. Any major things to look for not mentioned by Adelaide? Thanks for the help, we are getting closer to joining the Trawler ranks :thumb:
One quick question, can I work with the surveyor to request certain inspections or are they supposed to look at all things. I would like to avoid the things Bligh went through:whistling:

IMO - It is best to know what type boat, and power equipment you are requesting to be inspected (model names/numbers and photo or two are always good to send boat surveyor and marine mechanic; pre survey/inspection). Good Marine Surveyors inspect overall condition and build-quality of all boat portions. Marine Mechanics can look deeply into the powered sources of the craft. There can also be electrical inspectors as well as septic system inspectors. To completely survey all boat portions can become expensive. The first two are pretty much mandatory as far as I'm concerned... unless the purchaser is very well experienced regarding needed inspections and their levels – i.e. the meanings of results. Even then, depending on complexity of the boat and/or mechanisms aboard an experienced purchaser may not want to rely exclusively on their own findings. A good surveyor and/or mechanic can be priceless if they are competent. They might recognize a defect that an experienced purchaser missed. That finding could be important enough for purchaser to walk away in search of another boat, or, the finding may enable the purchased to get the owner to appropriately reduce boat's price.

Continued good luck! - Art

Checking out boat-quality/value before purchase is not a kids game. Once purchased and then making love to a good boat is kinda like a kids game... at least it can make ya feel like a kid, again!! - LOL

Last edited:
Pier 39 is not a good location. It has parking inconvenience, access issues with traffic and worse of all, it has surge. The boats never sit still and tug at the lines constantly. It's used to be the big deal to own a dock at pier 39 so you could loan it out on weekends for your friends. I had one could not wait to sell it. The weather there tears boats up as well. ...

I'm surprised they have several berths available.

Slip Rentals in the Heart of San Francisco | Pier 39 Marina

Back
Top Bottom