Furuno Fish Finder Ooops!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bustlebomb

Vessel Name
Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Make
1981 34 Californian LRC
So I was replacing the electronics on the flybridge and when I went to attach the ground wire on the back of the unit, the wing nut was a bit stiff. Without realizing it, I got a bit heavy-handed and managed to shear the stud off the back of the unit (man, that thing was much more fragile than I realized...either that, or I don't know my own strength after a few adult beverages...).

There are still a few threads present on the stud but not enough to fit the ring connector and still allow the wing nut to thread on. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a repair how-to or another workable solution.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• image-2579424237.jpg
    image-2579424237.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2461307082.jpg
    image-2461307082.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 111
Mate get the next size up stud and have one end drilled and tapped so that it screws onto the remaining couple of threads and then use the new threaded end or alternatively have a blank piece of s/s drilled and tap to suit one end and the other machined down and threaded to the same size as the existing thread.
Cheers
Benn

Use a regular nut screwed on halfway and then screw another stud into that.

Or not even worry about it. Probably 90% of the fishfinders out there don't even have the bonding wire hooked up. It's mainly for RF bleedoff and the old LORANs needed it more than anything.

I've been using my Furuno 1850 for years without it on my boat and almost a decade without it on the assistance towboat 1650.

I guess one could argue that some electrical component could come undone and charge the case...I don't think I have ever heard of someone being shocked by a piece of electronics gear from that issue. Usually the older Furuno units open and reclose easily...pop the back off and add another stud again if you think you really need it.

Which unit?

Last edited:
Drill a hole in one of the heat sink fins and attach the ring terminal with a machine screw & nut.

Rafe

Or not even worry about it. Probably 90% of the fishfinders out there don't even have the bonding wire hooked up. It's mainly for RF bleedoff and the old LORANs needed it more than anything.

I've been using my Furuno 1850 for years without it on my boat and almost a decade without it on the assistance towboat 1650.

I guess one could argue that some electrical component could come undone and charge the case...I don't think I have ever heard of someone being shocked by a piece of electronics gear from that issue. Usually the older Furuno units open and reclose easily...pop the back off and add another stud again if you think you really need it.

Which unit?

I've never hooked one up either.

You can us a "coupling nut" of the correct thread to the existing stud and connect the ground wire to it.
McMaster-Carr
90983a205p1l.png

So many great ideas! That's what I love about this forum :)

Thanks RT. I also am a resident of Bumpkin.

Rafe

Sorry for the late reply. These are all great suggestions. I thought the ground was mandatory but it sounds like it isn't. I'll try without but If it becomes an issue, the other suggestions are great solutions. I love this forum...so much knowledge here.

Thanks,

Matt

Back
Top Bottom