Replacing the window in a salon door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straycat

Vessel Name
StrayCat
Vessel Make
Prairie 29 Hull #51
We have only one door in the rear of the salon of our Prairie 29. *I would like to replace the non-opening window with one that would be open as well as screened. *We have two cats that travel with us and They must stay in the boat when we are at a dock and the added air would keep the boat cooler. *We also have 4 sliding windows to add ventilation to the boat. *We have an extension over the cockpit so the window would have protection from weather. *To make a long story shorter, I had thought of a window that dropped down when not in use and up to close it off, with the screen on the outside of the door. *All suggestions welcomed! *Donna

You want a single hung window. The tricky part is going to be opening from the top instead of the bottom. If you don't insist on that, you can find some at any of the major window mfgs, although you may need a custom size and be willing to do some new finish carpentry outside. Other than that, you'll have to go to the marine window market and have something custom built... big $$ but they can do anything you want.

Do you have any used marine parts store in your area? Windows sometime appear for pretty good prices and in good condition. Maybe one will be suitable.

Or as suggested, a special can be made by several companies. A local glass shop may be able to help.

Thanls to all of your suggestions. Gives us something to think about.

Straycat, I can't help you as to where you would locate such a window as you want, (being here is Queensland, Australia), but can tell you we had a window like that in the cockpit door of a Resort 35 we once owned which was in charter. There was a screen outboard of the glass, and the glass was able to be lowered down to varying degrees with a sprung plunger type lock which engaged slots in one side of the frame at intervals, to all the way down - ie about the top 3rd of the door. I worked brilliantly. Worth pursuing.

That is what I would like to see. friends of ours had a catamaran that had such a window, but not screened and it dropped into the bulkhead ..... like a car window into the door frame. It will take some investigation to will need to have a frame that will need to have tracks that will allow the window to drop down in itself. The constraint will be on the size of the window frame and how it sets into the door. I don't want a hack job .... it needs to look good as well as operate well ... and not as an after-thought. Thanks for the ideas. Donna

Thanks all. When I have a moment, I will check out all the web sites. Donna

Pretty close, but in our boat, the sliding part slid down inside the solid part of the door, and was able to provide a wider opening, which was screened.

That is just what I thought of, but again like Peter B stated, to have it open fully would be ideal. Thanks again for the info. Donna

That is what I would like to see. friends of ours had a catamaran that had such a window, but not screened and it dropped into the bulkhead ..... like a car window into the door frame. It will take some investigation to will need to have a frame that will need to have tracks that will allow the window to drop down in itself.

This is a very old traditional way to keep the boat together.

The window would run in a U channel , as would a screen, and for an offshore boat a storm cover.

The unit would be lifred with a leather belt and a hole in the belt holds the screen , whatever at the right hight.

The entire setup would be in a copper tray that simply drained to the outside deck

Leaks , who cares , the deck gets wet anyway.

This is an absolutely wonderful system for anyone that can fit it.

Back
Top Bottom