recoating shore power cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Has anyone had any success in recoating a shore power cord?* I have one that some of the outer coating has been*chafed away.* It would be good to restore the UV coating.

Assuming it is a 50' 30 amp, they cost very little. And you want it to be* water proof in case it gets dunked. Any sign of wear*just chuck*it and buy new.

Don, I would have to agree that if it is chafed badly you should replace it. However, if it is in good shape and a minor chafe you can use the liquid whipping material like found at West Marine, coat it and wrap the coating in a good grade of electrical tape or rigging tape to protect it further. Chuck

Seeing this post on shore power cords reminded me of something I did a while ago. The receptacle on my MT 34 is just forward of the sliding door, stbd side, and seemed to always be in the way. After tripping on my power cord once too often I picked up an *L-adapter, available from all the marine suppliers, I think.*

It works wonders in keeping the trip-cord out of the way, as well as reducing motion/stress on the plug connection on the bulkhead.*

Pic courtesy of the Defender website.*

This is a 50ft 50amp cord.* Not a cheap item to replace.* Just thought it would be good to recoat it to boost UV resistance.* Some chafing, but otherwise it is in good shape.* Chuck's idea is worth exploring.* Thanks for looking at the problem.

What I did with my 50 amp dirty cord was clean it ONE time with acetone and then put it into a Marinco nylon sleeve to keep UV off it. Worked just fine. A one time cleaning with acetone will not do too much damage but a two time cleaning probably will.

West Marine has the sleeves.

I was gonna say the same thing. Acetone does not recoat it....it resurfaces it. And then maybe coat it with some 303 for UV resistance.

Acetone will extract the plasticizers that keep the PVC flexible. I wouldn't recommend it. You might get by with it, but it's sure not doing the cover any good. At worst, it'll make it sticky which will make it filthy. Starbrite makes a good cleaner, or Barkeeper's Friend and Simple Green with a Scotchbrite pad does wonders. Like JB said, coating it with a protectant of some type is a good idea, always.

Keith wrote:

Acetone will extract the plasticizers that keep the PVC flexible. I wouldn't recommend it. You might get by with it, but it's sure not doing the cover any good. At worst, it'll make it sticky which will make it filthy. Starbrite makes a good cleaner, or Barkeeper's Friend and Simple Green with a Scotchbrite pad does wonders. Like JB said, coating it with a protectant of some type is a good idea, always.
I'm normally a big fan of Starbrite's products, but their electrical cord cleaner didn't do much for my cord.

As for acetone, I believe you're correct about damaging the cord.* I would much rather have a dirty cord than one that turns brittle and cracks.

As I said in my box above, use acetone once and then cover the cord with a nylon sleeve. I used it once and put in in the Marinco sleeve. It sill looks new when you unzip it and it no longer leaves a mark on the boat when you drag it around.

IF it just needs a spot fixed the tool dip stuff will make a WT fix .

Doc wrote:

As I said in my box above, use acetone once and then cover the cord with a nylon sleeve. I used it once and put in in the Marinco sleeve. It sill looks new when you unzip it and it no longer leaves a mark on the boat when you drag it around.
If you're going to put it in a sleeve, why bother with the acetone in the first place?* It's not doing the cord any good and with the sleeve, nobody can tell it's dirty.

Yes, Ron...

But I would know that it is dirty under there.

Didn't your momma ever tell you about the clean underwear rule in case you have to go to the hospital?

Doc wrote:

Yes, Ron...

But I would know that it is dirty under there.

Didn't your momma ever tell you about the clean underwear rule in case you have to go to the hospital?
What if you don't wear underwear?**
biggrin.gif

I guess that you could go "commando" and just have an empty shore power sleeve.

-- Edited by Doc on Monday 18th of October 2010 03:39:45 PM

I have read that Gojo type orange hand cleaner works well.
Steve W

Steve wrote:

I have read that Gojo type orange hand cleaner works well.
Steve W

I used to use that on the plastic handles of my tools when I was working.* It worked.* Of course, a 30' power cord is a lot more work to clean than a pair of wire cutter handles.

-- Edited by rwidman on Monday 18th of October 2010 07:04:31 PM

A friend of mine saw me connecting my shore power cord (it's nearly black) and said he had a new one he would give me.

He hasn't come through yet though.*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom