Removing motor oil from teak sole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Over a period of a month, I had my genset sitting on my veranda on a small furniture cart. The oil tube came off its bracket and leaked about 6 ounces of motor oil (pretty clean) on the teak veranda sole.

I sopped-up what I could off the surface, but of course, it's in the wood now. Any ideas of how to get it out? Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really sick about this.:banghead:

Ugh! I had this issue once with diesel fuel. First try some oil absorbent powder. Then try some sort of "oxy clean" product and soak it, then if that doesn't work, bleach. In some cases, time heals these wounds with simple exposure to sun. I got the diesel out after phase two.

Time heals it. Squirt some detergent on it and hose it off, then leave it alone and it will vanish.

The first fill I did with my GB, the fuel guy thought it was fun to leave the pump on we-just-filled-up-a-tugboat setting, shooting diesel all over my new-to-me decks. Squirted some detergent on it, washed off with a hose and the stain was gone by mid-summer.

Dawn with do a lot getting the oil out.

Dawn works great on Pelicans too.

and warm water....actually the hotter the better but at some point...I think you can damage the wood if too hot for too long....

The longer standing water is there...the more time for the dawn to release the oil and have it float upwards.

K2R drycleaning spray available at supermarket or hardware store

Thanks for all the feedback. When it comes to things like damaging the really nice things about my boat, I just feel as though I've violated it. I've seen a diesel spill fade away, but this oil was there for maybe several weeks, making a spot perhaps 16" in diameter.:banghead:

Try wetting it down and sprinkling some powdered laundry detergent on it and letting it sit for a few days.

Time heals it. Squirt some detergent on it and hose it off, then leave it alone and it will vanish....

:thumb::thumb: We changed the oil and the bucket that contained the oil filters from the engine and generator was cracked. :facepalm: The above and a little time worked great. I'd be afraid to try any chemical remedies. You may end up with a light or discolored spot that won't fade with time.

The more adventurous you get with cleaning chemicals the more you are likely to affect the caulking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom