Searching for the 'Perfect' Loop Boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as the dog thing goes, our dogs all mean different things to us and we all treat them differently. I don't think there is any one way that is better than the other.

NOW!!!!

This has been a great thread. LET'S KEEP ON TOPIC!!!!

Baker wrote:
This has been a great thread. LET'S KEEP ON TOPIC!!!!
Taking up the John Baker challenge, I have a question that could apply to choosing a Loop boat.* As I understand it there are locks that need to negotiated on this route.* I'm very familiar with the manually-operated,*narrow,*74 foot by 7 foot locks in the canals in the UK but I've not seen locks in the US except for one electric set in the New York State Barge Canal when I was in that*part of the state for work back in the '80s.

So my question is---- does going through locks pose any challenges that tend to favor one boat configuration over another?* For instance, are full*walk-around decks a major benefit when working through these locks?

Marin, I would think a boat with full walk around decks would be better than not having them. I would assume you could figure a way to do without but having them would surely be better. My only lock experience has been on the GCICW. We lock across rivers down here. Some locks really aren't "locks" but "Sal****er gates" to prevent sal****er from flooding the lowlands.

Anyway, we all know all boats are a compromise. If you want a "widebody" then you are gonna pay the price in line handling...locks or not. And most people don't realize, but you pay a similar price for a sundeck. The aft cleat on a sundeck can be a major pain in the butt....especially if you have those "leeboard" thingies or whatever you call those panels that block the weather. You have to maneuver the line from above the railing outside around the boat to the aft cleat. Not a great big deal but it is a "threat" and does require a strategy and even the briefing of unfamiliar crew.

I LOVE my walk around decks on the Krogen in locks. Makes things safe and easy. The dogs can also follow me around without problem.
wink.gif

Having learned to sail at a very young age in the Netherlands, and after regularly locking through mammoth locks (on sloops and cutters) between the Dutch rivers and the Zeeland delta in the presence of many of the "big boys", I assure you I would not embark on the Loop with its roughly 150 or so locks, without walk around decks. The larger locks on the Mississippi - Lock 26 here at Alton IL being the largest, if I am not mistaken - have only reinforced that position. Sooner or later, a line will drop short of its target - and rapid fore-aft mobility is precious. Toss in some backwash from a large push boat, and things can get hairy very quickly.

Soo... I want walk around decks, a LOW cockpit w a transom door with minimal elevation from the swim platform (for the dog, and for our rapidly aging legs), and a fore-aft cabin arrangement w 2 heads; Then enough space for at least one - preferably two comfortable chairs. It's fine if there are a couple of steps from the low cockpit to the higher side decks, I want doors on port and starboard into the pilothouse, and if I could get a small Portuguese bridge that would give me a "front yard" (might be nice for the dog, but is obviously not essential). My current challenge is to find that in as small of a boat as possible...
Albin 46 North Sea Cutter comes pretty close - DeFever 42, does not really meets the specs... Monk cockpit seems to be pretty high - Any others I have overlooked?

I started this thread because I struggled to find what I thought was looking for - in the process I have been the beneficiary of many comments that made me "go back to school", and since the thread was reactivated, also of many great thoughts, that have further expanded my horizons. Also, and more importantly, I have gotten to know new folks who share some of my passions for the water!

Keith wrote:

I LOVE my walk around decks on the Krogen in locks. Makes things safe and easy.
Keith--- What is your opinon of the Krogen wide-body model?* We've been on one of them (at the dock) and while we were very impressed with the boat we had mixed feelings about the lack of a complete main deck on the port side.* Obviously you can easily get to the forward and aft decks, but we wondered if the lack of a main side deck would pose a probem.

Hiya,
** Again, it all boils down to what do you want to do with the boat?* Is 3'X20' interior space more of an advantage to you than walk around decks*or twice that for full width salon?
** Personally, living in a boat as compared to dirt digs what's another 120 sq.'*(10x20-OK big room) less interior room when you can run laps outside?-one room-so what ?
** Sundecks?* If you can deal with the side stairs and the increaed difficulty of "lining" traded off with the increased size of a room you should only be in no more than 7+/- hrs per day (unless newleweds), go for it, but you trade off lounge space and the side decks.*
** You're call.

Dutchprof, some odd boats that come up in my search that may fit your criteria....

The Pearson 43. *It has what you are looking for in a sedan configuration. *IOW, there is an aft cabin the moment you step in from the cockpit. *If you can live with that, it appears to have a fine galley and a good amount of space in the salon. *It is not particularly handsome....

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Pearson-Motor-Yacht-2028007/Hampton/VA/United-States

Also, the Roughwater 41. *A Monk design. *I have always been a big fan of these. *You have your cockpit with transom door. *Pilothouse. *A nice galley and salon and fore and aft cabins. *And single engine to boot!!! *The only issue is that they are all on the West Coast. *Since there is no flybridge per se, it might be relatively easy to ship...but I don't know. *If you found a really nice one(and they ALL appear to be well taken care of), it might be worth your hassle and expense.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2257209&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1634&url=

John: Thanks for those url's.
I had stumbled onto the Pearson 43 a few months ago - and it does come close to the "family w dog & guests" specs: Powerboat 2010 says the following: Houseboat style cruiser originally built in 1971-76 (Called the 43 Portshouth) was reintroduced in 1984 when Pearson decided to get back into powerboat market. Designed for inland, coastal waters, flat bottom hull has very low freeboard........Lowdeck freeboard make this boat unsuitable for offshore use....
The question then becomes to what extent safety might be compromised by hull design on the more challenging legs, such as the Great Lakes...?

Okay, the Pearson may not be the best choice.

I am editing now......The hullshape does not look bad at all. *The only issue would be the low freeboard as you go aft. *I wonder how hard it would be to carry the gun'l all the way aft. *This would not be structural but just to keep the green water off the deck. *It would also likely add to the aesthetics of the boat. *Anyway, just thinking out loud. *You asked about a loop boat.....that looks like it could be a good one.

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 17th of September 2010 09:42:30 AM

Funny - you say that (about the difficulty building up the freeboard), that was one of my very first thoughts - of course - having messed some with epoxy fiberglass marine ply and planking, makes me cocky that I can handle more than I may be able to; The interesting thing to me is, that despite all the choices out there - and I immediately concede that there are some phenomenal designs available if you have deep pockets - choices are somewhat limited for the impending wave of Boomer retirees who want to take the family pet along and have their kids and grandkids come visit periodically along the way... Perhaps a business opportunity?

I will still take you back to the Carvers. Those satisfy your criteria best. I don't care what Pascoe says. You are not crossing any oceans. That, or relax your criteria a bit. You mention something about the Mainship 430s and aft cabin access. I know this is not a good reason...but nobody uses the aft cabin companionway on trunk cabin trawlers. Anyway, I know that is not a good reason. You can get the dog aboard and just walk him down the side deck to the side door....should be quite easy for you and the dog.

WE purchased and outfitted LUCY specially as a loop boat.

Tho were sailors at heart the concept of running 50++ locks in a 33 ft boat with a 50 ft mast on deck was not considered as a "fun trip".

LUCY is a 50 ft US Navy Utility, with a lobster boat deck house.

Set up to cruise 2 it has only what we need.

I lived aboard (working years) for 22+ years and so avoid docks and prefer the hook.

A huge commercial rub rail , and a robust mid-ship cleat (P&S) and a hyd windlass was installed.

As was a Robertson commercial grade auto pilot.

Propane range with oven and propane fridge freezer allows unlimited time with no noisemaker , or dead batts. Dickinson oil range for cool days.

For the Canadians we installed a waste tank and pump out setup.

For out of service time a 75W solar with charge controller keeps up the batt set.

Total investment about $50K .

Of course some folks would question a 50 ft boat set up for 2 , but they haven't been on the huge couch in the PH , or under the 10x10 awning on a 15 ft after deck.

Sorry ,no acres of teak

I LOVE LUCY Fred. Ha Ha*I think I asked for pics a long time ago * ..no?
Well if youv'e got more I'd like to see.
Have you ever heard them called "Personnel Boats"?
Cruise for two * * .....I like it.
I can almost recall your bow cockpit and anchor gear.
I worked at Uniflite in the early 70s * * *...we built those , 33 , 40 and 50'.
It's really no different than a Skeg Built Lobster boat * * ...right.
Also it's not much different than a Krogen Express.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 24th of September 2010 10:16:03 AM

Walk the docks around the St Louis marinas (in St Charles actually) and you will see the perfect loop boats. Probably 30 different ones in fact. Or Traverse City, or Kentucky Lakes etc. The point being, almost any kind of vessel can do the loop, it depends on your budget, *HOW you want to do it and with what baggage.

Me, I'd do it in a 31'*Formula so I could move fast when needed and ski when the weather is nice. If I had schedule and guests as a priority I'd do it in a Formula 37. Because of wanting to beach in the 1800 miles of rivers, I/O is my choice. And I'd leave the dogs and cats at home.

Back
Top Bottom