Thread: Ballast
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
It is not just stability and trim that need to be considered when adding / removing ballast-it is where you place it low of course is better but as mentioned above placing weight on one end to counter a weight on the other may create some major back breaking problems. The center of buoyancy and gravity will be altered. Imagine the longitudinal forces at work when the wave distances lift both the bow and stern at the same time and the forces trying to break the boat in half or the other way around where the top of wave is in the middle of the boat and you have too much weight in the bow and stern. All the calculations that the NA would perform can be found in "Stability and Trim For the Ships Officer" by John Ladge. Great reference.
Delfin: On this subject was the original lead ballast on the Delfin placed in the Grey Water Tank? I found it there on her sister.
I don't know. When I bought her, she was stripped empty, although the P.O., who was a naval architect, placed a few tons in the compartment forward of the 600 gallon potable water tank, below the sole in the forward cabin. After filling her back up again, I needed to add another couple tons on the starboard side in the ER for trim.