Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #26
janice142
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I definitely see that some stuff is just outrageous...but being in the business of repairing other people's boats...I also see a lot of things that look like they are well thought out and work fine...just not the "preferred" fix..almost as if they were done on a cruise or to get the boat someplace and were just never corrected because the "fix" worked good enough.
Exactly and now I've got a conundrum that's not yet resolved. The day before i was heading out I dropped the gasket on my water filter overboard. It sank. Well, I made one (article here: janice142 article Water System and Filter Fix) and now I can't find the one that fits my filter I'm not going to drop $20 for a new filter housing assembly.

And yes, I should have bought a couple of spares when I bought the unit. But I didn't. So now... well, I'm a PO and unless I find a ring that fits...

On the other hand, it does work and I've got the numbers written down and periodically look online for the part. There's no need to hurry and if I were to sell the boat I could easily remove the filter from the system and "call it good" -- would pass inspection without a pre-filter no doubt. But it wouldn't be as 'good enough' as it is at present.

It's wrong for certain though. Sigh.

What really Torques my sense of humor though is a workman who comes aboard and does nothing but denigrate all the previous work done. Spade fittings versus terminal rings were a source of discussion one afternoon at a local hardware store.

The new fuse block in my cabin has spade fittings, and that meant switching over from my rings. Wrong of course -- the initial run from the breaker had a fuse inline, but I kept thinking of new things to run off that 10 gauge so did upgrade last year.

But of course the spade fittings meant all my old ends had to be replaced. And I was told that terminal rings are "bad" -- well, honestly stacking three on top of each other is not a good practice, but you know how one light leads to a fan, to a volt meter and then a better light... One-More-Thing-Itis.

Some folks have Flat-Surface-Itis where each flat surface attracts another item atop it. Well, boat projects at least for me tend to get into One-More-Thing-Itis -- it's something I have to be wary of...