Business Op. - Monk Molds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captrigney

Vessel Name
Meander
Vessel Make
1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
From the current issue of Boats and Harbors:

Attachments

• Monk_Molds.jpg
    Monk_Molds.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 149
A great way to make a small fortune-just start with a large one. IF the big boys with corporate or even Chinese government money couldn't make it, how can anybody else?
Meridian took the molds of the most popular designs ever designed to the landfill. I can drive you around in South Florida and show you hundreds of molds from 22'-90' you can have for free, if you would take them away (no easy task even that). Bertram has even given up the ghost after "moving" into the empty building that Sea Ray left behind. Pimping ain't easy. Lol

Last edited:
Those molds have been for sale for a long time. Too nice of a boat, hopefully someone can make some money with them.

I don't know if they are the same molds I've seen in the Florida Mariner for so long, but the purchase of those molds would likely be the least expensive part of any attempt to use them. Nothing would make me happier than to see someone prove otherwise.

The thread where is the trawler market going has discussed at length the reduction in sales in the less than 48 feet trawler market. This is another example as the Monk's are fine boats.

Originally, about 3-4 years ago, he had talked about going into production. That fell through now who knows what will happen to them. We love ours but getting into that business is another story.

That's Robert from Bayside Yacht Sales down in Florida. He kind of specializes in selling trawlers. He was a good sized Mainship dealer. If he couldn't make it work, it would be difficult for anyone else.

That's Robert from Bayside Yacht Sales down in Florida. He kind of specializes in selling trawlers. He was a good sized Mainship dealer. If he couldn't make it work, it would be difficult for anyone else.

It would take a miracle man to put those molds back to work. A leader of men...an inspirational character....a fierce competitor....a modern thinker...a brilliant strategist...a vastly experienced business tycoon, respected and admired for his rare combo of wisdom, humility and ferocity! Don!

Deep pockets and a lot of beer would also help.:whistling:

It would take a miracle man to put those molds back to work. A leader of men...an inspirational character....a fierce competitor....a modern thinker...a brilliant strategist...a vastly experienced business tycoon, respected and admired for his rare combo of wisdom, humility and ferocity! Don!

Deep pockets and a lot of beer would also help.:whistling:

You are right, Larry. I was too modest to say all that myself.:eek: Now, all I have to do is get enough of you guys like Matt, Rick, Anode, Larry, and Scary to work for nothing; and we will have a going concern.

Psst: Don't tell Mule he will try to unionize everyone.

All you guys please send a PM so I can tell you more about our starting date. Oh yeah, I will expect a little investment in the "company".

Eric will be in charge of selecting all anchors.

Sounds great Don, thanks for spearheading the project. I'll take hull number 3 please.

Of course I can only pay you $10,000 and that has to be the delivered price to my berth in California. :flowers:

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

And beer. Lots and lots of beer. Or rum....whatever :pirate:

Don - I'm in.

Launch em in SF and I'll captain each one for a three day sea trial around the Bay, out the Gate, and into the Delta... at NO labor cost. You supply refreshments and food. Fuel will be BIG write off for your new profit filled Company!

Such a deal!

:speed boat:

All you guys please send a PM so I can tell you more about our starting date. Oh yeah, I will expect a little investment in the "company". s.

Better get a salesman or two. I nominate PK and YBGuy.:thumb:

All you guys please send a PM so I can tell you more about our starting date. Oh yeah, I will expect a little investment in the "company".

Don: i can photoshop you all the funding you need.

Once the hull is popped from the mold , you have about 10-15% of the boat.

Once the hull is popped from the mold , you have about 10-15% of the boat.

Or... in todays retail market, brimming with "classic" low-cost pleasure craft:

96.44 % of the new planter! :facepalm:

Or... in todays retail market, brimming with "classic" low-cost pleasure craft:

96.44 % of the new planter! :facepalm:

Art, you have just explained why the affordable boats are the used boats from the 70s and 80s. They can be brought back into service for a fraction of the cost of new. Until we get other methods of construction it will be difficult to bring a good, economical boat to market.

Art, you have just explained why the affordable boats are the used boats from the 70s and 80s. They can be brought back into service for a fraction of the cost of new. Until we get other methods of construction it will be difficult to bring a good, economical boat to market.

Fellow I know purchased a latter 70's Tollycraft 34' tri cabin... for a song! Why price so low... it needed attention on several levels. PO was getting old, just could not be bothered.

This fellow had his "soon to be like new" Tolly tc repowered with twin diesels, new fuel system (tanks inc), new batts and elect system , rebuilt gen set, restored gel coat (painted where required), refurbished/improved the interior, new steering, new props, bottom paint, new canvas, new electronics... etc - - Then Splash! He had a structurally superior, virtually NEW boat that was built some 36 years ago.

His cost was under $130K... out the door, in the water, cruising/hooking to his heart's delight!

To purchase 2015 boat of same quality/size was estimated by surveyor at near $500K replacement cost. That means he got basically same quality (maybe better structural quality) boat for about 25% the cost of a brand new one. Market value depreciation on his expensive refurbishment will be immediate and steep, but, depreciation on the $500K brand new boat is also quickly steep... that depreciation cost on the new boat would in near years eclipse his total cost for restoration of good quality old boat. His depreciation will eventually level off at some 50% to 60% of the $130K expense. The new boat will not too distant future loose same %age or more. Difference in total dollar loss: Rebuilt Tolly = $70K +/- Brand New Boat = $275K +/-. Difference in boating enjoyment = NONE!

Reason that is possible: Boat builders that were really good at performing high quality build-outs (Tollycraft, Hatteras, Chris Craft., Uniflite - to name a few) built boats by the many, many thousands. Depreciation in their dollar value eventually sank to ground level - but - due to the extraordinary build quality many of these old boats can be re vitalized at a fraction of the cost for new. And, many of these "classic" boats have actually been well maintained by their PO's so they need little to no restoration... simply purchase, do minor improvements, get in, start up - - > CRUISE and HOOK!

How this way out of proportion classic old boat cost compared to new boat cost becomes rectified will simply take time for used-boat-disposal attrition to take affect - much time! Cause - there are simply too may thousands of good old tubs available for rock bottom purchase prices and the new tubs will always cost a fortune to build.

Should I go ahead and order some teak ?
From my source I understand that Burmese teak will sky rocket this year . I bought some a year ago and paid $ 20 a board ft for it .I have a board that is 15 in wide and ten ft long . I have laid out different items to cut out of it on both sides more than once . I have had that board at least 15 years and I paid $8 board foot for it . I can't bring myself to cut it up . I told my grandson the other day that he would probably wind up with it someday .

This is why the new boats are facing strong seas in trying to be profitable to build!

This Chris seems a beaut with everything in order. And, she's basically bullet proof!

Price could probably be reduced substantially with Cold/Hard CA$H!

47' Chris Craft Commander Classic - $99,500

47' Chris Craft Commander Classic

Better get a salesman or two. I nominate PK and YBGuy.:thumb:

Count me out, I was the East Coast dealer for Lien Hwa in the late 80s-early 90s, and that was back when there was no EPA refulations at the marina, and we could paint boats outside. Prices were low, fuel was cheap,, and there was many vendors available for services (those boats don't commission themselves, nor does warranty work fix itself) , nor were there billboards and TV commercials for lawyers every couple of miles, and every 5 minutes.
There wasn't much money in it even then- hence the saying "great way to make a small fortune". Lien Hwa was, and still is subsidized by the owners other money making industries. He did the yachts for sentimental reasons, and to keep relatives employed. He lost money on every boat sold. Not a great business model is it?
The smartest long time (Palm Bch, Broward, Dade counties since 1959) boat dealer I know sold all his real estate off at the top of the market, gave all his boats back to the bank in 09, and moved to Kentucky where he's built a compound at the top of a mountain, down a long dirt road, and just bought a hotel to keep his relatives working. His accountant just bought a 54' Meridian from me. He knows what he's doing. We used to discuss the demise of the industry at length back in the late 90s. It all came to pass.

Last edited:
Count me out

Say it isn't so, Blake!

How can I get to sea test all Don's boats without a sales pro such as you to move em!

Anyway... I just went through your website. Nice career. When ya gonna get a real job??

Jus kidden!!

You've forgotten more about boat sales than most will ever learn...

Keep up the good luck! :thumb:

Cheers! Art

Such a timely thread! I saw a couple of 47' Chris Craft Commanders this weekend and looked them up on YW last night. Love those boats and there are a lot of them out there.

Back
Top Bottom