Hard core fishable / sharp livable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Catcher Jim

Well this is my mission to come up with a vessle that can handle my needs and desires and still give the others that shipatude look of living space full of all the goodies. :banghead:
Lol I forgot with a beam of no more then 8.6 ft. Oh and an enclosed head towards the deck so you dont have to track or have people constantly going through the living quarters.

I was looking more to the alaskan pilothouse offshore for this but my life long desire to have a trawler, lobster boat etc has a strong pull in this as well. At this point in my life i am leaning toward twin outboards and giving up the knuckle busting engine room repairs.

So am i on a fools errand here or what ?
Any input would be appriciated to say the least.
Thanks
Jim

The beam requirement will be the killer. If you are looking for a trailerable boat, you may want to expand the beam requirement to 10'.

That being said, an aluminum sport fisher like a Kingfisher is a consideration.

Gent in the berth adjacent to mine has a 27ish foot C-Dory that checks all your boxes except twins and perhaps beam. Think its 10' beam but still trailerable.

Great boat, lot of well laid out cabin with a very fishable cockpit, head aft. Single outboard power with a kicker for trolling/get home. Think I saw a live well for bait storage too.

Edit: Click on the link above and it's the 26' Venture model.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

Thank You for the advice and yes the CDory and Rosborough are both on the radar. The problem i have and this may simply be just my thinking but with the trailerable 10 foot beam you have to deal with permits and i believe you end up at the mercy of each county or town or state. Now this maybe wrong for i have not checked into it in many years.

Another factor is i am not totally forsure where i am actually going to be settled in at. I mean if we will stay in this area or further north centrally located between 3 of the great lakes or go up east or far west. If i had a better idea what exactly the plan will be i might just opt out for 10 to 12 foot beam and keep her in the water or even simply pull out and store in marina on a trailor.

Too many places and way to many boat choices. lol
Thanks again and please keep the input and wisdom coming my way. Looked at a 1984 30' SISU downeast lobster flybridge. Now that got the attention of some here but again inboards and i just dont believe i want to deal with inboards or io's any longer.
Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Thank You for the advice and yes the CDory and Rosborough are both on the radar. The problem i have and this may simply be just my thinking but with the trailerable 10 foot beam you have to deal with permits and i believe you end up at the mercy of each county or town or state. Now this maybe wrong for i have not checked into it in many years.

I don't think it's that restrictive. When we shopped on trailerable boat a decade or two ago (?), I think I remember you could tow 10' wide boats during daylight hours, but perhaps not on Sunday, without special permits. Or some such.

-Chris

I've moved all kinds of haying equipment on semi's & towed a bunch. Anything over 11' must have a permit (here in Montana anyway.) It is very simple to find out what the width restrictions for each state is by contacting the Hwy Patrol for that state. By the by finders over the tires would probably the widest point. Trailer width.

Well, before you get enamored with a 10' beam, 30' boat with or without permits (and I am quite sure that every state requires them beyond 8.5' width), think about the towing weight.

A good example is the Mainship Pilot 30 which weighs 10,000 lbs dry but is going to weigh at least 11,000 lbs with minimal fluids and gear. That boat will take a 3,000 lb trailer to tow it. So you are looking at a tow weight of 14,000 lbs. Your father's SUV isn't going to cut it. It will take a full one ton pickup and preferably one with a diesel and dual rear wheels to tow it safely. And you may not be able to easily launch it from a boat ramp. You may need a Travelift to launch it.

Stick with the 25-6' x 8.5' dimension with outboards and you can tow it with an SUV. Atlas Acadia is another brand that meets that spec. Head and galley aft, V berth forward. Nice cockpit to hang out in.

David

David thank you and all good points. Most states range from 8 foot to 8.6 as legal widths.
The more i think about things and look around i am not sure sticking to a beam of 8.6 or less is really the best way.

Too many designs and too many desires. Should have took up boat building in the 70's instead of waisting my time.
Thanks Again
Jim

Back
Top Bottom