Santa arrives early......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rochepoint

Guru
Vessel Name
Roche Point
Vessel Make
1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Well maybe I should say "Sarca arrives early".

Today our new Sarca Excel landed in Victoria BC, it replaces our 30 year old 20kg Bruce on the bow pulpit. The Excel is a No.5 weighing in at 22kg and boy is it well built. Now we just have to get out and try it.

Stay tuned for the reviews, I just hope I don't break the pulpit off when it hooks up. It just looks like a mean machine!

Rex and Joy at Anchor Right Australia were absolutely fantastic to deal with, thank you!

Please excuse the last photo for being blurry, even the smartphone was so scared it was shaking in its boots............:dance::thumb::dance:

Attachments

• Bruce.jpg
    Bruce.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Bruce:Excel.jpg
    Bruce:Excel.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Excel.jpg
    Excel.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 100
Way to go, Mike. I hope when you opened it up you checked to see that it is the northern hemisphere model.:D

Don, I really don't care which way it spins going down or coming up..........:facepalm:

Seeing them side by side in photo #2 is more than interesting...

Care to share some details about shipping options?

Seeing them side by side in photo #2 is more than interesting...

Care to share some details about shipping options?

Rex & Joy looked after everything, arrive at the office after a little over a week after ordered.....:thumb:

Rex & Joy looked after everything, arrive at the office after a little over a week after ordered.....:thumb:

Good thing Santa brought it, because that would be heinously expensive to send air mail :eek:

Another Bruce traitor in our midst! Mike, I really surprised. I never saw it coming.

Well, at least you switched to a Sarca Excel and not some lowly CQR or Danforth. :hide:

What are you going to do with the Bruce?

Last edited:
Mate ,
Welcome to the Sarca family, you are now with a securely anchored group of people.
OK enough crap, you will be suitably impressed after you have hung of it a few times.

Cheers
Benn

Another Bruce traitor in our midst! Mike, I really surprised. I never saw it coming.

Well, at least you switched to a Sarca Excel and not some lowly CQR or Danforth.

Traitor!!!!!!! The Bruce get a well deserved retirement and a place of honour resting next to the 40 year old Danforth in the aft lazerette....

This actually brings up a very serious issue; given any thought to your new avatar?

Sorry, don't have Larry's Photoshop skills so it will have to wait till we get out on the water in the dinghy for a new photo.......but thanks for the reminder..:thumb:

:

My first thought too.

My second thought was "I'm closer, and in province." [emoticon of a smiling little yellow guy rubbing his hands together]

Last edited:
I've got a feeling that Excel is just for show. Sure is purty!! It'll probably never get wet.

That's the job of the Bruce heretofore kept out of sight like an ugly but willing girlfriend in the aft lazarette. :hide:

In X number of launches the Bruce failed Y number of times?

Let us know about the new irons failure rate..

Our Lewmar Claw has skipped across the bottom and refused to hold a couple times, and we've only been boating for 2 years. Both times meant dropping in 'more problematic' locations; something I hate to do.

My first thought too.

My second thought was "I'm closer, and in province." [emoticon of a smiling little yellow guy rubbing his hands together]

Spy,
I tried also to get a Bruce hand me down anchor but failed. I went out and bought a Lewmar. The Lewmar looks very good though and I sharpened the fluke tips up some. Not been wet though as wer'e still on the hard. But Spy I think Mike said it was a 20KG Bruce. Isn't that 44lbs? Very big mama for a 26' boat. I could'a got a 44lb Lewmar but decided it was too big????

Murray,
What size Lewmar Claw do you have?

Last edited:
If you cruise you'll eventually find yourself anchored in a gale or even a bigger blow. When the anchor chain is straight as an arrow you will wonder if you should have bought the anchor off a mothballed battleship. Then you'll wonder if the anchor you have is digging in or pulling out. Then you'll join the dreaded "do I have the right anchor" discussion here.

Nothing against the Bruce, it has served us well. If they still made them I would have a long time ago upgraded to a 30kg, after all the 20kg started its life on our previous smaller sailboat. Looked at the knockoff claws and they look terrible in there casting compared to the Bruce.

I thought I might as well give the newer technology a try and have really liked everything I have read about the Sarca anchors plus a couple of mates from "down under" that live here now.

I will keep everyone posted about the performance......:socool:

Should'nt have to explain yourself Mike. Maybe there's a guy on you're float that just bought a new Delta and you just want to raise the bar on him a bit .... especially after he bragged a lot about it. And maybe you just like it and decided to treat yourself to some new technology.

But FF is probably trying to say why buy a new anchor when the old one works just fine? Many do just that. Most just use the anchor that came w the boat. I asked a fish boat owner in Akaska why she used a Danforth anchor. She made it clear she didn't have time to talk as she was meeting the guys at the bar .... it was Ketchikan after all.

From the looks of it the Excel should be a serious penetrator.

Hmmm...let's see. Quadcopter..Sarca....Quadcopter...Sarca....

Back
Top Bottom