portable Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No brands are invincible, but the Honda sees to be a cut above the rest. I bought my Honda new several years ago and installed an hour meter. This year, at about 150 hrs on the hour meter, it failed with a broken connecting rod bolt.

It was a few weeks before I was able to repair it and return it to service. A free Costco replacement would have been cheaper, easier and faster than the repair.

No brands are invincible, but the Honda sees to be a cut above the rest. I bought my Honda new several years ago and installed an hour meter. This year, at about 150 hrs on the hour meter, it failed with a broken connecting rod bolt.

It was a few weeks before I was able to repair it and return it to service. A free Costco replacement would have been cheaper, easier and faster than the repair.

Would they really replace it free after several years?

We have 944 hours on our Honda 2000. I wouldn't have anything thing else except maybe a Honda 3000. Our 2000 still starts on the first pull every time unless we have run it out of gas. We use Mobil One synthetic oil and have only used Rec90 gas in it. Two years old and still runs like new.

Things break while cruising...no getting around that.

I think the Costco point was a good one...but certainly not the only option.

The real debate is are the cheaper ones "as good", "almost as good" or so far down the "good" line that they aren't worth buying?

I have NOT heard good things about anything but Yammies and Hondas. That said.... others have the cheaper ones and no complaints "so far".. However, those that have Hondas, myself included, seem to have them last forever (mines coming up on 20 years now with only rare oil changes and some pretty good abuse) and run great despite sometimes the lack of care, overloading all the time, etc...etc...

If there's anyone out there with a lesser known brand and a 1000 hrs or so on it or say 10 years of light to intermittent use...I would find that info a lot more useful than speculation whether the gold standard is the only thing worth buying.

You are the one who stated " A free Costco replacement would have been cheaper, easier and faster than the repair."

I was responding to your comment, "you have to locate a Costco, find a marina nearby, carry the genset (OK, you can take a cab if you need to) to the Costco and hope they have a replacement in stock. The guarantee is only going to replace a defective genset for a year or so."

:facepalm::nonono::banghead:

You are the one who stated " A free Costco replacement would have been cheaper, easier and faster than the repair."

I can answer that. Yes, they will take it back years after purchase. The only exception is TV's and electronics. Tools, generators, and everything else Costco sells can be returned years after purchase if not fully satisfied. It's what sets Costco apart from any other retailer, and it's why they are so darn popular.

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund." ---Costco.com

Last edited:
I can answer that. Yes, they will take it back years after purchase. The only exception is TV's and electronics. Tools, generators, and everything else Costco sells can be returned years after purchase if not fully satisfied. It's what sets Costco apart from any other retailer, and it's why they are so darn popular

And I thought is was the free food being hocked by the little old ladies

HOLLYWOOD

I can answer that. Yes, they will take it back years after purchase. The only exception is TV's and electronics. Tools, generators, and everything else Costco sells can be returned years after purchase if not fully satisfied. It's what sets Costco apart from any other retailer, and it's why they are so darn popular.

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund." ---Costco.com

That would seem to say that you could buy a generator, run it until it's worn out and then exchange it for a new one. I suspect that's not the case.

If you are living aboard consider long and hard before you buy a critical item such as a generator without regard to reputation. If the generator goes out, even if Costco replaces it quickly, the marina fees can be expensive as opposed to anchoring. Once was in New York City and my inverter went out. To repair over several days was going to cost in marina fees near the price of a new inverter. Bought a new inverter and have sailed with two inverters since then.

That would seem to say that you could buy a generator, run it until it's worn out and then exchange it for a new one. I suspect that's not the case.

With all due respect, your suspicion is wrong.

I have a COSTCO portable generator very similar to Honda it is powered by a Yamaha. Very quite :thumb:

I have a COSTCO portable generator very similar to Honda it is powered by a Yamaha. Very quite :thumb:

That's great to know jimbob! I did not know that it had a Yamaha engine. Thanks for informing us and giving us your real world experience. I doubt that you'll be needing to 'catch a taxi' to Costco anytime soon. :thumb:

Tony, I bought from Wise Sales in Schaumburg, IL. Good experience with free shipping. They're offering the same pricing and the companion model with the 30A plug for $100 more. They also carry useful accessories like a fabric cover, oil refill spout and hourmeter.

Honda Quiet Generators - RV Inverter Generator | Wise Sales

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered the EU2000i from them this afternoon. It was $999 with free oil spout and free shipping. I also ordered a spare gas cap so I can make my own extended tank from my dinghy gas tank and also ordered the fabric cover.

Tony B

Just my $0.02.... I have a couple of both the Honda and the Yamaha 2kw inverters, I usually prefer Honda's, but the Yamaha's are my favourite for infrequent use, as they have a separate fuel valve, and thats a huge advantage to run them dry. Also, don't forget that E85 is NOT your friend in small engines....

I converted my Honda EU2000 to run on propane, natural gas, or gasoline. Since my outboard is propane (Lehr), we cook with propane, and the backup generator is propane, we avoid carrying unleaded gasoline. It kind of messes up the clean lines of the generator (the regulator is hanging outside the case, but it starts easy and runs fine and the oil looks like new. It runs my 100 amp charger just fine with enough left over for a few lights and the microwave.

Also, don't forget that E85 is NOT your friend in small engines....

If the noisemaker does not get much use the gasoline will die in about a month.

If close to home a visit to the local small airport can supply fuel with NO ethanol.

Also common in some areas like the FL Gulf shore in shore gas stations ,

BUT it is about 10% more expensive , very worth it.

No, you do not have to evacuate air from the onboard tank to get the aux tank to function.

There's a little trick to run the Honda carb dry without having to install a fuel petcock. The eu2000i OFF switch cuts electricity to the spark plug and also shuts off fuel to the carb. The electrical cutoff stops the engine right now. If it's disconnected at the small white plug inside the cover, it takes about a minute or so for the engine to starve of fuel after turning the switch off.

When my cruising season slows at the end of fall, I use this method to empty the carb. It will take several pulls to restart.

I converted my Honda EU2000 to run on propane, natural gas, or gasoline. Since my outboard is propane (Lehr), we cook with propane, and the backup generator is propane, we avoid carrying unleaded gasoline. It kind of messes up the clean lines of the generator (the regulator is hanging outside the case, but it starts easy and runs fine and the oil looks like new. It runs my 100 amp charger just fine with enough left over for a few lights and the microwave.

sounds like a great idea, do you have a link or instructions on how to accomplish this :ermm:

THANKS MR. BRADY; I'M GOING TO ORDER ONE SOUNDS LIKE THE WAY TO GO JIM :thumb:

I have had a Honda 2000 on my SEA RAY FOR 3 years now. I purchased one for my 34 ft Mainship it runs the a/c, battery charger, and the refrigerator, just couldn't see why would I spend 6k for a diesel genset.

If you have a Mainship with the extended fly bridge. That is where I put mine in a 150 quart igloo cooler Walmart $87.90 shipped to the Marina, a few modification on the ends for vent, and it looks great on the fly bridge.

Since the propane leaves with out creating varnish ,propane is the fuel of choice for folks that dont really need a noisemaker.

A year of no use will usually start right up, no hassle ,20 year old fuel? no problem.

The other thing to consider when purchasing a gen set - fuel burn. Usually what I have found is that these Hondas pay for themselves in fuel savings. The knock offs usually burn more per hour under full load. Lets say it's only .25 gallons in eight hours but then x that by a life expectancy of more than 2000 well taken care of hours. 2000/8x.25x3.75=234.00. This is just speculation of differences here, etc but it goes to show that the least expensive even if it's has the same life span isn't the best choice. Pay now or pay later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom