bridge comms between crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK how about graceful and quiet. :)

In most cases where I've seen the hailer used for deck communications it comes off as loud overkill.

But again, YMMV.

We have volume knobs down south to make it graceful and quiet! ;)

Our biggest (only?) need for comms is in the locks. Noisy (many boats leave their engines on for the entire transit!), crowded, and -in good weekend weather -literally hundreds of tourists watching and taking pictures from a dozen feet away. Plus a constant outbound current against an inbound wind. Plus you have to rely on a couple of corpsmen to secure and free your lines in the large locks. And we cannot see each other from the bow and stern line handling positions.

A loud hailer in this scenario is an invitation to a divorce.

You folks up north must be the few who know how to use the volume knob. :)

I was on a boat where the capt and mate were yelling at each other on the PA at 3:30 AM in a high end condo/marina. It was the sign of the day to come! :D

Simultalk 24G. Very reliable.

We use this headset everyday it is great only improvement would be for longer battery life otherwise it's been awesome, my wife especially likes it for docking and maneuvering close quarters when I can't see from the pilothouse.

cell phones/bluetooth headsets, cheap, don't care if they fall overboard. We keep the cell phones inside the boat. The headsets work on the entire boat from the phone in the middle. May not work on a larger vessel. But it works for us. There is the issue of wind in the mic, but it's better than not yelling.

In my experience, loudhailers are only for emergencies (or for people who like to hear themselves) The louder the yell, the more out of control the situation is. EVERYONE likes to hear the yelling in the entire harbor. No wonder they actually market 'WifeSavers'. Oops, I meant Marriage Savers.....

Last edited:
th

Back
Top Bottom