portable Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Honda EU2000 is always considered top of the line by me and so that is what I was thinking of getting. Then, I looked at NorthernTool.com and they have their own brand - Powerhorse. The specs are identical.
Does anyone here have any experience with the Powerhorse generator?
Thanks in advance
Tony B

Powerhouse is Chinese made. I have purchased and used a couple of inverters, a voltage converter, a construction type generator: all made in China. All failed. Northern Tool will have a US organization to deal with warranty issues. I'll bet you get to know them well if you buy one.

David

Same with the Harbor Freight Tools versions. IMO, cheap Chinese crap. You get what you pay for.

David, you are probably right. The admiral just reminded me of the times I bought stuff from Harbor Freight and Northern Tool in my quest to save money.

I have never used one, but have searched for info.This is what I found,buyer beware,it's all hearsay.The Power House is supposedly a Chinese knock off of the Honda units and Harbor Freight sells,or sold, the same thing, just re-branded to their brand.I have checked out the PH next to the Honda.The PH was a little lighter.Just enough to be able to feel it.I don't know if the weight difference means the PH is lacking quality, because of inferior metals, or if they had to change the design a little to keep from getting sued by Honda.That is all I can really say for them.I don't know about noise levels,reliability,or longevity.I plan to try one.

Chinese engines is something I can give some info on.When I buy them,first thing I do is drain the crankcase of oil and refill with kerosene.Shake the engine around for a few minutes,being sure to get it up all the sides.I let the engine sit for about a half hour at an angle with the drain port down.Then I drain off the kerosene into a pan.I do this as many times as needed, until I can't see debris coming out.Then I refill with good conventional oil,usually 30w Castrol GTX.Then I run the engine at half speed for a half hour,drain the oil,and check for debris.I do this until I can't find debris.The silver stripes in oil will be normal as the engine breaks in and should get better over time.The debris I find is casting sand,cast flashing,and machining shavings.I have went as far as disassembling some Grey Hound (Harbor Freight) engines and cleaning them out.I would consider buying the extended warranty with either brand.I have had good luck with no question asked exchanges when those motors crapped out.I see no reason why it would be any different for the generators.

Thanks Al

I see we posted at the same time and we both used Harbor Freight as a reference also.

I will order the Honda EU2000i from Northern Tool unless you know of a better price. Northern Tool is selling the Honda for $999 with free shipping.

Even if free I don't want it,

Junk is junk, and China crap is junk.

I see we posted at the same time and we both used Harbor Freight as a reference also.

I will order the Honda EU2000i from Northern Tool unless you know of a better price. Northern Tool is selling the Honda for $999 with free shipping.

Tony, I bought from Wise Sales in Schaumburg, IL. Good experience with free shipping. They're offering the same pricing and the companion model with the 30A plug for $100 more. They also carry useful accessories like a fabric cover, oil refill spout and hourmeter.

Honda Quiet Generators - RV Inverter Generator | Wise Sales

Honda it is. Now for the next question........
Is there any way to easily set up for running the gen off of a 6 gal. gas tank for O/B motor? I am not even remotely interested in the "Extended Run Tank" for $170.

Yes, do an ebay search, I had a Yamaha tank and fuel fitting, bought the Honda cap with the receiver for Yamaha and bingo all done.
Honda it is. Now for the next question........
Is there any way to easily set up for running the gen off of a 6 gal. gas tank for O/B motor? I am not even remotely interested in the "Extended Run Tank" for $170.

Since you can't run them in the rain or let them get wet, is there something out there that will solve the wet weather problem?

I haven't had them in a driving rain...but many people have reported they run fine in the rain.

I've always put a rude covering to keep all but the heavy mist off...most stick them in something with some ventilation...everything form modified coolers to some pretty fancy boxes made for them to run in.

Last edited:
I think they probably run fine in wet weather, the no wet weather warning probably has to do with electric shock and attending lawsuits.

I think they probably run fine in wet weather, the no wet weather warning probably has to do with electric shock and attending lawsuits.

I have several permanently mounted exposed in truck beds and they are used rain or shine. Never had an issue. Except once, when one was removed from the truck and dropped in a ditch full of water while running, that one suffered a problem. Mounting them to the trucks eliminated that future failure point.

Yes, do an ebay search, I had a Yamaha tank and fuel fitting, bought the Honda cap with the receiver for Yamaha and bingo all done.

It seems that all I would have to do is buy a spare cap and modify it to mate with my fuel tank hose fitting (Tohatsu 9.8). The fuel tank hose fitting/hose also has the squeeze bulb on it. I assume I use the squeeze bulb to get the whole cycle started flowing. My next question would be....Do I have to evacuate any air in my Honda built-in fuel tank by filling to the top or what?
Thanks in advance

I have my Honda from Northern Tool and couldn't be happier! It only hurt a little while when I paid for it. I went with the 30A plug model so I can also go to the companion later on if need be. I will grab or make the extended run cap and hose for the dingy's fuel tank.

I have the Honda EU2000 generator. It has taken a beating and still starts on 1-2 pulls. It's a very high quality and expensive generator.

As far as knock of units, the only one I would entertain is the unit Costco sells, due to their easy return policy.

............. As far as knock of units, the only one I would entertain is the unit Costco sells, due to their easy return policy.

The easy return policy isn't much use if you're cruising and not near a Costco. Even if you're near one, how far to you want to walk carrying a portable generator?

I saw a unit in Costco recently that had a Honda engine.

Last edited:
The easy return policy isn't much use if you're cruising and not near a Costco. Even if you're near one, how far to you want to walk carrying a portable generator?

But for those that are near a Costco and aren't old as dirt.... it may be an option to consider. ;)

BTW, I bring my Honda home all the time. It's really not that heavy for most people. It's also great to have in power outages. Hence they call it a 'portable' generator.

Last edited:
plus what you save on the purchase price... you can afford a taxi to Costco if cruising.... and still have enough cash to buy some treats for the ride home...:D

Honda sets the standard. Anyone seen a Kipor brand unit there? Looks much like a Honda, but yellow.

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I needed to be. if you're cruising, away from home, and using a portable genset to power your boats AC, water heater, stove, etc. and it breaks down, you can't get electrical power out of the guarantee, you have to locate a Costco, find a marina nearby, carry the genset (OK, you can take a cab if you need to) to the Costco and hope they have a replacement in stock. The guarantee is only going to replace a defective genset for a year or so.

Spending the money up front for a higher quality genset makes it more likely that it's going to work when you need it and for a long time afterward.

It's similar to comparing Harbor Freight tools to Snap-on or Mac tools. Harbor freight has a lifetime replacement warranty. Snap-on or Mac don't really need one.

What sold me on the Honda was I have a neighbor that's a contractor and uses his on job sites and it is USED and abused by his workers, he has had it 3 years and it starts on the second pull every time. And he bought it used. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom