Monk 36 Headroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the headroom of the early Monk 36's compared to the newer ones. If so, in what year did this change occur?

I could tell you what it is in mine a 2003 (later in the week) but I don't know what it would have been in previous models if different. I'll ask the question on the owners assosiation forum.
Do you mean in the saloon?

If the flooring or ceiling has ever been replaced or recover,the measurements could vary a few inches,even from manufactured stated dimensions.

I recieved 2 replies to the question of the Monk 36 headroom they are below along with measurements from my boat this morning. If you have any other questions about the boat let me know

My Monk is hull #175, one of three built at the Atkins Boat Yard in Nova Scotia, I recently learned. I was told that there is 6 1/2 feet headroom everywhere, except doorways, under overhead hand rails, etc. This seems right, as I'm 5'9" tall, and I always have about 9" above me.

The only Headroom change I'm aware is the forward head.
It's about 4" shorter in Limerick(1980), vs later boats.
The map table is correspondingly lower. This appears to
have gone away in 1983/84.

This morning I took some measurements on my boat, a 2003, and the head liner clearance in the saloon, fwd, and aft cabins was approximately 6'6".

The early Monk 36s were built in Taiwan, about 1990 production was moved to Nova Scotia I understand the same molds were used.

Thanks for your help Steve - I'm 6'5" so it looks like there would be sufficient headroom even in the older Monks.

I'm 6'2" and I have plenty of head room in the salon of my 1984 Monk 36 #31. Just mind your head as your're coming up from the aft cabin! :banghead:

I know just what you are talking about, it didn't damage my head but put a ding in the floor when my noggin knocked up out of the lower hinge.
I added a "Head Saver", two small screw eyes, and a short piece of fishing line later, and it can't happen again!

Attachments

• Head saver.jpg
    Head saver.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom