Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That construction looks bullet proof as a new build. Over the years: How impervious to water getting into the ply... from bottom or bilge?

Gents,
The Devlin boats are the real deal, bona-fide perfection. I was talking to Sam about building his Josephine which I fell in love with. She was to be built in ply and epoxy to very stout scantlings. it would have been a boat for life.
That was also around the time I was talking to Michael Kasten about building a steel hulled Raven [URL="http://www.kastenmarine.com/raven.htm"].
Two very different boats - but two Interesting boats.
In the end, I went for our Nordhavn. No regrets. :thumb:

That construction looks bullet proof as a new build. Over the years: How impervious to water getting into the ply... from bottom or bilge?

The structure is sealed with epoxy inside and out, and glass sheathed on the outside for toughness (abrasion resistance). It will last as long as any fiberglass boat. Actually longer because wood resists fatigue better than fiberglass. The wood hull is quieter and a lot more puncture resistant than thin skinned molded glass hulls. But it costs more......

How is it for repairs?

If you go to Devlin's website, there is/was an article concerning the repair of a surf scoter that was damaged in a winter storm at a marina.

Persuasive article for the benefits of stitch and glue construction.

I would think the main advantage would be strength and lightness. One would probably need to service through hulls a bit more than FG boats but water ingression into decks and cabins should be a little less of a problem.

A trawler is even by it's definition heavy but w the high strength of Devlin's construction a much better boat is possible. But if he built a replica of my Willard with his composite methods the result may not be much better than the FG Willard.

The structure is sealed with epoxy inside and out, and glass sheathed on the outside for toughness (abrasion resistance). It will last as long as any fiberglass boat. Actually longer because wood resists fatigue better than fiberglass. The wood hull is quieter and a lot more puncture resistant than thin skinned molded glass hulls. But it costs more......

Tolly hulls are 1.25" to 1.5" thick of well laid fiberglass throughout strategic areas. No core wood. I'd call that bullet proof too... with no chance for rot. Some how I doubt fatigue will become an issue. Puncture: Test I read using 12 gauge slug point blank did not penetrate.

I'm kinda sold on our Tolly! :smitten: Just incase you didn't notice! - LOL :popcorn:

Tolly hulls are 1.25" to 1.5" thick of well laid fiberglass throughout strategic areas. No core wood. I'd call that bullet proof too... with no chance for rot. Some how I doubt fatigue will become an issue. Puncture: Test I read using 12 gauge slug point blank did not penetrate.

I'm kinda sold on our Tolly! :smitten: Just incase you didn't notice! - LOL :popcorn:

Are the decks and superstructure solid too?

Are the decks and superstructure solid too?

- Most deck areas are cored with balsa. Thick reinforced fiberglass (FRP) top and bottom.
- Some superstructure is cored with similar FRP reinforcement on both sides , some is solid FRP.
- Stringers are "close-cell foam" cored with highly thick FRP overlay that is layered and woven into the hull fabric at all locations. Foam was used simply as a mold, and, besides being unnecessary in the long run due to self supporting integrity of FRP stringers... it will never rot!
- Hull (bottom, sides, and and transom) are thick, solid, hand laid fiberglass.

Please note: I'm specifically describing the build-out methods applied for construction of our 1977 Tollycraft 34' tri cabin model. Tollycraft was building boats for decades and several build-out methods were used as time progressed. It is best to check very carefully regarding any year/model before presuming it is built as I described. Tollycraft Boating Club Forum is a great resource to learn answer to nearly any Tolly question... some really knowledgeable Tollycraft guru's frequent that forum and love to give answers. Forum "search" feature can supply great info too!

That said: Having spent decades on the water, been aboard many boat-builders' craft, worked several years with shipwrights repairing/maintaining/restoring boats, having owned several boats, and having worked over a year in a new boat builder (24' to 65' lengths)... IMO, Tollycraft offers the best constructed, most comfortably laid out, and seaworthy-in-general group of pleasure power boats on the market.

Classic Tollycraft boats, if cared well for by previous owners, offer a great value boat that continues to hold its value. These babies have depreciated about as far as they will go. When in good condition, and properly maintained from then on, Tollys can give many years enjoyment.

Happy Tolly Daze - Art :thumb:

Idenity of that Dutch steel vessel

Here are some photos of a very nice 44' trawler/motorsailer vessel owned by a friend of mine that is for sale up in the Seattle area.

It is a steel hulled Dutch built 44' Stella Maris yacht that even though it does not have a rig on it, reminds me of a motorsailer hull design. It has an inline single 6-cyl diesel engine.

He took it all way up to Alaska and back.

That fellow from Germany has supplied this info about the builder of that fine vessel I sited before on this subject thread.

Hi Brian,

This type of boats are called Kotter in the Netherland. A person called van der Poel, working for Klaasen Shipyard around 1970, started his own business in building steel boats for inland waterways. His products became known under the brand name Stella Maris. He built custom steel Kotters and Vlets from around 10 to 15 Meters with angular and canoe type stern and round bilge. The famous Designer Peter Belsnijder was somehow involved in their design. At least one example was built as a motorsailer with ketch rig. Your friends Stella Maris 44 must be one of those boats. To my best knowledge, this company does not exists any more for more than 25 years.

Below one more example of those boats.
YachtForums.Com - View Single Post - Trawler Vs. Motoryacht

Good boats can be made from wood, fiberglass, steel , aluminum, and a number of other materials and mixes. Bad boats can also be built from the same stuff......

The downside to all that fiberglass is it's very heavy, which is why no-one, or almost no-one, builds boats that way today. As Manyboats mentioned above, Douglass Fir or some Mahoganies will be about 1/3rd the weight of solid glass (depending on layup ratios) for the same thickness.

That weight costs you every time you leave the dock.

I hauled out yesterday morning at Indiantown, FL (Okeechobee Waterway) for a bottom job. I always find the yard storage fields full of interesting boats. The first one is "Seavision", a very odd work-diver boat conversion that always appealed to me. According to the owner, it is a Marine Trader hull, single 180 Perkins. Take a look at the equipment on this vessel, huge anchor pulpit, outriggers, heavy dive platform, big rails and stanchions, and check out the bilge keels and (I never saw this before) chine keels. The bulbous bow was glass, I checked. The boat was refit in Tarpon Springs, a very active fishing village. Length looks about 40, but I think the original Yachtworld ad years ago said 37'. CG looks challenged. Whatever you say about it, it's interesting.

Attachments

• Sea1.jpg
    Sea1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Sea2.jpg
    Sea2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 343
  • Sea 3.jpg
    Sea 3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Here's two other's that were in the work yard at Indiantown. The first one is obviously a sailboat hull to trawler conversion underway. The second one is a brute of a boat around 50 ft. or so....it had twins, super heavy ground tackle, gorgeous boat. It may have been wood.

Attachments

• sailtrawl.jpg
    sailtrawl.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 175
  • sailtrawl2.jpg
    sailtrawl2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 112
  • brute1.jpg
    brute1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 130
  • brute2.jpg
    brute2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 114
  • brute.jpg
    brute.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 138
Here's two other's that were in the work yard at Indiantown. The first one is obviously a sailboat hull to trawler conversion underway. The second one is a brute of a boat around 50 ft. or so....it had twins, super heavy ground tackle, gorgeous boat. It may have been wood.

The first one is a Fales Navigator 38 motorsailer. Stock design but not many built. I think they were built by Pearson to an Alden design. I think the second one is a DeFever 49.

I can see how I was faked-out on the Fales, but the 49' DeFever (one of my favorites)....how could I have not seen that? Never saw one on the hard before. Thanks for the ID's, Tad.

Good boats can be made from wood, fiberglass, steel , aluminum, and a number of other materials and mixes. Bad boats can also be built from the same stuff......

The downside to all that fiberglass is it's very heavy, which is why no-one, or almost no-one, builds boats that way today. As Manyboats mentioned above, Douglass Fir or some Mahoganies will be about 1/3rd the weight of solid glass (depending on layup ratios) for the samce thickness.

That weight costs you every time you leave the dock.

Not very much though! And I like it; being sure my boat can handle what ever comes along.

You are correct... back "when" old-school good-builders built the shat out of fiberglass hulls... cause... they did not know what was going to happen as they aged. Well, now we know! Classic, multi decades old Tollycraft and other good-builder brand FRP boats have lots o' life left in em and their purchase prices as well as maintenance costs are sweet! :dance:

Sorry, I posted this to another thread and it should be here!! Know all of you have been keen on boats for sale by the Islamic trawler owners.:whistling:

1971 32Ft.Grand Banks

Al:D

Al I like the custom winter cover for the GB and bet is set them back some $$.

Newly arrived resident in our marina. Looks like a Willard but not sure. Absolutely immaculate outside and apparently the same inside. (It may have already been featured in this thread, but after 800 posts I've lost track.)

Attachments

• 20140916_135344.jpg
    20140916_135344.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 193
Looking at the pilothouse glass one would bring to mind a 36 Willard pilot house, however this being a Willard surely escapes my mental inventory of the line as being one. Nice boat though I would expect to find it a "One Off".
It is boats such as this that make exceptional choice for our Southeast Alaska "Wet" conditions where interior comfort obtains high marks
Be nice to have interior photos, Any chance you could be bold and introduce yourself, explain Trawler Forum to the owners (If they might be members or know of it) seeking such photos?
I am a total sucker for and lust over the Portuguese Bridge trawlers of any makes. Several have been featured in this thread. They are ageless in design and so salty.

Al

Looking at the pilothouse glass one would bring to mind a 36 Willard pilot house, however this being a Willard surely escapes my mental inventory of the line as being one. Nice boat though I would expect to find it a "One Off".
It is boats such as this that make exceptional choice for our Southeast Alaska "Wet" conditions where interior comfort obtains high marks
Be nice to have interior photos, Any chance you could be bold and introduce yourself, explain Trawler Forum to the owners (If they might be members or know of it) seeking such photos?
I am a total sucker for and lust over the Portuguese Bridge trawlers of any makes. Several have been featured in this thread. They are ageless in design and so salty.

Al

Willard did make a number of one offs, or very small numbers of specific models which were well outside the 30/36/40 trawlers that we are familiar with. I vaguely recall seeing photos of this one somewhere and thought it was identified as a Willard. But not sure.
The owner, whose beautiful Skookum 53 burned at the dock a few months ago, is rarely around but if I do catch him I'll play the investigative reporter and see if I can get some photos!

That boat must be a Willard as it was at a Willard rendezvous recently.
Anchor looks small for this size boat.

Attachments

• DSCF1010 copy 4.jpg
    DSCF1010 copy 4.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Newly arrived resident in our marina. Looks like a Willard but not sure. Absolutely immaculate outside and apparently the same inside. (It may have already been featured in this thread, but after 800 posts I've lost track.)

It is a Wilard, 46 or 47 I believe. Recently for sale and it is immaculate inside and out.

Okay- Those of us familiar with the design and those who know will agree that the family of Willard designs are delightful. Thanks Eric, easier to see the lineage with your photo. Maybe CP has a handle on the "Sale" photos and could attach.
The 36' pilot house model even with being a high center appearing rig, is the one I have most admired. Always thought adding a bit of lead ballast would quite one down if in fact, they tend to roll.
Al

Al,
The only one I've been aboard had active stabs.
I love the hull but would'nt have one for the wheelhouse being too high or low.

1940 Burger

I was taking a walk to the Manistee lighthouse yesterday when I spotted the Pilgrim heading south on Lake Michigan. It made the turn into the inlet and proceeded up the Manistee River. I walked home and grabbed the admiral and we drove into town and saw the Pilgrim docked at the municipal docks.

The Pilgrim is a 65' steel hulled Burger that was built as a custom pleasure boat in 1940 in Manitowac WI. She was promptly enlisted for the coastal protection at the beginning of WWII and returned to the owner in 1946. My understanding is she has only had three owners and the last retrofit was in 2008 when the hull was painted black. The brass and brightwork are impeccable. The admirable snapped a few pics with her iPhone which unfortunately don't do justice to the beauty of this boat. I was doing my best not to drool.

Attachments

• Pilgrim.jpg
    Pilgrim.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 399

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom