New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's going to roll fine.I have faith it will all go well.Just need to locate Senior Ten Thumbs.

We've got some bad weather headed this way for tomorrow morning so I'm going to postpone the flip. I would need people outside the shed to handle tag lines etc. and I can't really ask them to do it standing in the rain. Will try again for next weekend. Sorry.

We've got some bad weather headed this way for tomorrow morning so I'm going to postpone the flip. I would need people outside the shed to handle tag lines etc. and I can't really ask them to do it standing in the rain. Will try again for next weekend. Sorry.

Gotta keep the free help comfortable or they will bail out.:thumb:

Hull flipping day! A little more than 2 hrs and it'll be going over. Guts are in a knot. Shouldn't have had nacho's with jalapenos last night. :facepalm:

GoPro's charged up & ready to go. Sipping my last coffee & waiting for the team to arrive.

It's done! Went pretty much as planned. A few minor hiccups but the boat is unharmed and everyone is safe. Had plenty of help. More details later on the blog update.

spacer.gif
img_267361_1_b2d62c3a387eecf05b1f223bd6d03890.jpg

I need RUM!

Why to go team!

Bet you will sleep well tonight!

Way to go, Rick. Thanks for sharing. It looks as if it went as well as it could go. You are a gutsy guy, and it is great following along on you build. I am certainly learning a few things.:thumb:

Great job Rick. It's great following people with skill sets way beyond my own.

I am surprised by the flex in the hull.Will you need to check the hull for twist along the length?That was a nail bitter.

I am surprised by the flex in the hull.Will you need to check the hull for twist along the length?That was a nail bitter.

It'll get leveled & squared up in the spring. I have to build some supports or get some proper boat stands this winter. The baseline is marked inside the hull so it's easy to level with the laser.

Yeah, at this stage the hull is still pretty floppy. It's strong but being so long it moved a lot and I expected that. She's going to be one tough little boat!

Why to go team!

Bet you will sleep well tonight!

Thanks bluebyu

Slept like a rock last night for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'm usually an early bird, 04:00 every morning but slept in till 06:30 today! :rofl:

Great job Rick. It's great following people with skill sets way beyond my own.

I have no skills dimer! I make this sh*t up as I go along! ;)

Actually I researched the crap out of it before I started to plan it out. My buddy Greg is an industrial electrician and does a lot of rigging & hoisting in his line of work so that was a great help.

Way to go, Rick. Thanks for sharing. It looks as if it went as well as it could go. You are a gutsy guy, and it is great following along on you build. I am certainly learning a few things.:thumb:

Thanks for following along Moonstruck. I hope someone learns from my mistakes. ;) I'm just glad I'll never have to do that again! :)

Indeed a big success. Congratulations

Naked hulls are always flexible. They are just the waterproof skin as they have none of the internal supports that give them structural rigidity such as stringers, frames and bulkheads and decks.

Managed to get my GoPro up on a stick to get a birds eye view! :eek:

spacer.gif
img_268182_1_040fb8032d8058fee7f8f6d86ac31504.jpg

spacer.gif
img_268182_3_f129750d2a3fbc2f080d43fb5895a34f.jpg

The funny colored stuff on the port side forward is just left over epoxy glue I had that I used to fill the kerfs in the panel. You'll notice the other side doesn't have kerfs. The panels were cut wrong and the kerfs were on the outside. This caused a few problems but it seems to have worked out ok.

That hallow keel looks like it's going to be a big pain in the stern to vacuum bag.

That hallow keel looks like it's going to be a big pain in the stern to vacuum bag.
Still contemplating that aspect of the job. Now that I see it upright it doesn't look too bad for hand laminating.

Built myself a set of steps to get into and out of the boat. Pulled out the support forms etc. It looks even BIGGER now! Was just admiring my handiwork when I had another one of those WTF have I gotten myself into moments! :rofl:

spacer.gif
img_268581_1_892f96af7263c35f2df19e2432b820c5.jpg

Web log updated; http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/anot ... s-wtf.html

How much room will be in the rear cockpit?I am hoping mine will be 6 long by 7'6" wide.I just need enough room for casting over the side,when I'm in fresh water.

How much room will be in the rear cockpit?I am hoping mine will be 6 long by 7'6" wide.I just need enough room for casting over the side,when I'm in fresh water.
I'd have to check but pretty close to that. We're not really big fisherpersons and are planning a full hard top. I guess we'll fish from the dingy.

At least the inside doesn't have to be smooth as a baby's bottom.That is still a lot of sanding before bagging.You still planning to vacuum bag the inside?

At least the inside doesn't have to be smooth as a baby's bottom.That is still a lot of sanding before bagging.You still planning to vacuum bag the inside?
Jury's still out on that. Leaning towards hand laminating it again to save money.

Jury's still out on that. Leaning towards hand laminating it again to save money.

It would be a bit easier I think.Does GlenL call for ballast in the hollow keel?

It would be a bit easier I think.Does GlenL call for ballast in the hollow keel?
I'm sure Bateau.com would be concerned if GlenL was giving out specifications for their boats! :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom