Stern anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
When you set out a stern anchor, where do you secure the line to the boat? KJ

We usually use the stern anchor when rafting up several boats. It keeps the raft from swinging and twisting up the forward anchors. Attaching the aft line is done to one of three aft cleats (stbd, center, port) depending on which direction the anchor line is leading.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of skene chocks on my stern bulwark routed to my aft mooring line cleats. I usually use for stern ties, but same idea.

I only have aft cleats on the corners which I use to secure the stern anchor or stern mooring line. I select the cleat that provides me with the best alignment in the currents. If it's a 50/50 choice, I choose the stbd cleat which allows the best access to my aft rail gate at the port side of my transom.

Depends; if a straight stern anchor to, for some reason, keep the boat from swinging (like in a narrow channel with minimal or no current shift) then off one of the stern cleats, like Al says. If doing a Bahamian moor, then the bow, like Captain K. If a kedge to pull the boat to point into the waves with wind forcing you beam too, it could be a stern cleat or an aft quarter cleat.

In inshore and ICW cruising we set a stern anchor almost every night.

It is lead to the bow so the boat swings with the wind or current.

Much ICW anchoring is in tidal streams , so the ability to not move and perhaps upset a single anchor is easily worth the 3 min a stern anchor tales to deploy (20H Danforth).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom