Vertical Clearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lutarious

Anyone know where I could find a database with specifics on my new boat? I'm curious about the vertical clearance in the water, and also the deck and rail heights in the event that we have her shipped to California instead of cruising south.
She's a Nove Heritage 44 Sundeck trawler with a radar arch that comes off, in case you were wondering.

Thanks.

Every boat is a bit unique, try this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 73
The worst thing that could happen to you is to find something and use it. Your boat could be considerably different. Simple things like was the radar arch standard or aftermarket or unique in some way. What was the fuel, water, passenger load when measured.

I measured (with a tape measure) from the water to the handrail then on up to a spreader on the mast, then to the highest point. Rounded up as suggested above.
Yesterday I read a friends blog he lost his anchor light to a bridge two days ago. I am sure he knows his height maybe a bridge with no tide height markings maybe a wake lifted his boat, I'll ask next time I see him.

I measured (with a tape measure) from the water to the handrail then on up to a spreader on the mast, then to the highest point. Rounded up as suggested above.
Yesterday I read a friends blog he lost his anchor light to a bridge two days ago. I am sure he knows his height maybe a bridge with no tide height markings maybe a wake lifted his boat, I'll ask next time I see him.

I'd also test to some known heights. Pick something like a bridge that is marked but that you know you can clear and let someone measure up to it to double check. Also remember loads and wakes can make just enough difference to create problems.

I laid a fishing rod off the highest point, cork on the end of the line. It hit the water, cut it off at the eye. Dragged the line on board then to the pier. Laid it out and measured + some more. Way I did it.

Anyone know where I could find a database with specifics on my new boat? I'm curious about the vertical clearance in the water, and also the deck and rail heights in the event that we have her shipped to California instead of cruising south.
She's a Nove Heritage 44 Sundeck trawler with a radar arch that comes off, in case you were wondering.

Thanks.
You've been given a couple effective ways to measure the actual "air draft". If you want to ship it on a truck or trailer you'll have to add in the (water) draft and the truck or trailer's height above the pavement.

But I have to wonder why, if you live in Oakland, CA, why you would have the boat shipped to CA, even the southernmost part. It's a boat and there's water the entire way. It's not like you want it moved from CA to NC or something.

Thanks for the good advice and the sarcastic remarks. The reason. I was asking is that we were hi king about trucking it down. We only have a three week window o get a vacation cruise in the San Juan's and get the boat down here. Turns out that it costs a fortune and the boat has to be under 12 feet so I'm just going to bring it down by water. Hope we get a good weather window. Late season it can go either way.

Thanks for the good advice and the sarcastic remarks. The reason. I was asking is that we were hi king about trucking it down. We only have a three week window o get a vacation cruise in the San Juan's and get the boat down here. Turns out that it costs a fortune and the boat has to be under 12 feet so I'm just going to bring it down by water. Hope we get a good weather window. Late season it can go either way.

And if weather or other factors don't allow you to get it all the way in one trip, then dock along the way and continue later. If you want to spend three weeks in the San Juan's then you could do so while it's up there and then move it down later. Docking in Washington is amazingly cheap compared to what you're probably use to.

We started our journey down and around in late April and still haven't make it to California. Of course the fact we went the opposite way first might factor in. But the San Juan's and nearby areas could be an incredible three week vacation. Then maybe sometime a weekend and get it to Astoria, another to Charleston, then perhaps Eureka and then home. Maybe you don't get it home until the holidays but what a great time along the way.

Float it down, you'll regret it if you pass up this opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom