Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
None- looking
Does anyone have an opinion about Cummins Diesel verses Volvo Penta engines. Looking at two Nodic Tugs and the only major difference is the engine make?

Thanks

Carter

Which Cummins and which Volvo? Each makes good motors, and some less good.

Does anyone have an opinion about Cummins Diesel verses Volvo Penta engines. Looking at two Nodic Tugs and the only major difference is the engine make?

Thanks

Carter

What specific engines, model and HP?

Usually Volvo parts are stocked only at the importer in Atlanta , so it becomes very expensive , to overnight almost any repair part.

Volvo is always LAST on my list tho they do have some reliable engines.

The longest lasting engines (any maker) are usually the least HP units with no turbo and mechanical injection .

AS they are less sophisticated these will not have the better fuel burn , but better an extra .50c an hour than thousands for repairs.

Generally speaking, Cummins has fair pricing for parts and dealers/distributors in most major centers around Canada and the US. Also, Seaboard Marine in Oxnard, CA (sbmar.com)has a great selection of Cummins and aftermarket step up parts and FAST delivery around the US.

I started out wih Volvo and it was a pretty good engine.......until I had a parts issue. Pricing was way too high for my liking. Good luck with your decision.

Assuming the boat with the Cummins is either a 6BT(A) or 6CT(A), both of those engines have been around for 20 years, are still produced as remans in this country and new in other countries, and untold numbers were sold for marine, automotive /truck, agricultural and heavy equipment. You should have no trouble getting parts and service anywhere you go for as long as you own it.

Ted

I have a 200HP Cummins 6BT 5.9 in my present boat and a 210HPVolvo TAMD41P in the previous. Both were excellent, in general spares for the Cummins are less expensive and there are more sales and service centers.

What he said below. Have a friend on the dock, needed a starter for his Volvo (63 series) was quoted $1400 from local parts guys, he sent it out to get rebuilt instead. My choice would be Cummins, it will also yield greater/faster resale.
I have a 200HP Cummins 6BT 5.9 in my present boat and a 210HPVolvo TAMD41P in the previous. Both were excellent, in general spares for the Cummins are less expensive and there are more sales and service centers.

Both make pretty good engines, but Volvo parts prices are out of sight. Out of the two, I'd go with Cummins.

Avoid VOLVOs; run from them as you would the plague. VOLVO has the worst product support in the industry, especially when your engine (s) are not longer being manufactured. Good engines but you are SOL if you need parts.

Engines reply from Carter

Thanks to all of you. This Forum is great for help. Glad I joined.

Consensus is consistent both good parts are the issue on cost of repair.

Thanks again.

The manufacturer of those engines is not the only difference, the engine's condition is a major factor. Engines don't need parts for no reason, they need parts because they've been used and/or abused. Yes, the Cummins would be my hands down first choice. But if the Volvo has 143 hours on it and was only used by a little old lady to run to church on Sunday, versus the Cummins guy who has been around the loop 6 times and has 3200 hours on the clock....things look a bit different.....Have an engine surveyor do an oil analysis....

Oil analysis is fine and I agree that one should be done, however, it really takes several to determine true condition. One could spin off the current oil filter, cut it open and take a visual to ascertain if any metal has collected as I did after finding a prior oil sample testing by the PO when he purchased the boa. There were only some 150 hours from the test taken. The current owner was comfortable with our changing out the filter which we then cut open. Nothing there to bother us. The oil sample that had been tested reported "Copper" at higher rate than normal. While we didn't see any physical evidence related to copper, we didn't seen anything at all! Peace of mind was the reward.

Al

If the boat with cummins is not in good shape find another cummins powered boat.

Just look at the euro vs dollar and if you need more info look at the distance parts have to travel.

Keep in mind where you live or will keep your boat. For me Volvo parts are 100 meters from my boat. Cummins would be mail order. Although, I have required no parts outside of consumables for my engine.

I've driven a nearly 30 year old Toyota turbo diesel that was never imported to North America for the last 12 years. No parts required either.

Properly maintained and operated, diesels are reliable.

Engine comparison.

Thanks again to all on the Volvo to Cummins comparison.

Volvo is a D6, Cummins is a 6BT (A). Both have 450-460 hours and the engine rooms show evidence of regular and detailed maintenance. Engine sour vey will definitely be a contingency to any deal. Thanks for the oil analysis tip.

I to have been looking at quite a few boats lately and I have come to the conclusion that it is a 5.9 cummins or nothing for me. I work in the automotive industry and although they are not identical, there is a reason a Dodge Ram Cummins truck with the 5.9 is worth the same or more than they were when they were just a few years old. Case in point, I had an 05 Dodge that I sold (w/16,000 miles) in 2007 that is selling for more money today w/100,000 plus miles than it did 7 years ago. And not because people like the body style (ha ha). Just my opinion though and what I am comfortable with :)

I,too had incredibly poor support from Volvo.I would never own a boat with a Volvo engine again!!

Usually Volvo parts are stocked only at the importer in Atlanta , so it becomes very expensive , to overnight almost any repair part.

Volvo is always LAST on my list tho they do have some reliable engines.

The longest lasting engines (any maker) are usually the least HP units with no turbo and mechanical injection .

AS they are less sophisticated these will not have the better fuel burn , but better an extra .50c an hour than thousands for repairs.

What he said!

I have owned two Volvo engined vessels over the years and to be honest, the support was never an issue. Primarily I suppose because nothing significant ever happened to them, and any problems were around the ancillary items such as hoses or alternators, which were not Volvo specific.

You know ur in trouble when the Voivo parts guy arrives to the counter carrying a jewelry scale and has a jewelry loupe hanging from his neck. He ask, Troy ounces or carats.....sure sign. I saw a small solid state control module of some sort with less than $5 worth of components in it VOLVO list $750. They are extortionist.

>They are extortionist.<

Actually they just took a page from the military supply folks.

Get the initial sale , even at a loss if need be , as repair parts are not bid for.

We have the Cummins 6BT5.9M in our Nordic Tug. It is the 220 HP, non-aftercooled model. We LOVE it. Easy to work on, just seems to run and run, and as noted by many here parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. We actually order all our consumables from Ryder Fleet Products. And tons of info on the web about these motors (suggeest you pay to join boatdiesel.com if you wind up owning one). Also easy to find mechanics if you ever need one. Finally, it turns out that we have so many friends with these boats, that if anyone needs a part in a pinch (impeller for instance), one of us has a spare. Volvo makes a great engine, don't get me wrong, but dollar for dollar I really like and prefer the Cummins.

My boat has a Volvo TAMD41P and it purrs like a kitten. Other than belts and impellers, I haven't needed parts but there is a Volvo parts and service place in my area.

There seems to be a lot of bias against Volvo engines on boat forums but they remain pretty popular in boats, trucks and heavy equipment.

I think it would be pretty foolish to walk away from a boat that you liked because it had a Volvo engine in it, assuming that the engine is in good condition.

My boat has a Volvo TAMD41P and it purrs like a kitten. Other than belts and impellers, I haven't needed parts but there is a Volvo parts and service place in my area.

There seems to be a lot of bias against Volvo engines on boat forums but they remain pretty popular in boats, trucks and heavy equipment.

I think it would be pretty foolish to walk away from a boat that you liked because it had a Volvo engine in it, assuming that the engine is in good condition.

I love ur boat. I bought a Mainship 34, largely based on a Camino 28 after a bareboat charter. Great boat, great engine, Volvo 200hp. Volvo, in my view, over played their hand on extorting cash out of their committed customers, committed by the fact they own a Volvo. In their defense, I think the message is resonating at corporate level. I wish Volvo to have a Deer, Cummins reputation. Is not there now.

"Camano". ;)

The 28 and the 31 are the same boat, they just changed how they measure it. It's a 28 when paying for dockage and a 31 when bragging. ;)

Yeah, I know...still, great boat...

Volvo makes the initial power package purchase very attractive for boat builders. Then tries to make up for it by over pricing parts and labor to the new owner when out of warranty. I have owned Volvo diesels and worked on some and they are not even near to being on my list of favorites. I do think the 40 series would be a great mid size pickup truck engine. Even better than the Cummins b series. It sucks as a boat engine.

Back
Top Bottom