Haul out time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We took the boat yesterday to Palm Beach where James Knight is. Getting her hauled out and a bunch of things done. We took the boat to Old Port Cove marina where she awaits to be pulled. There are 5 or 6 other Nordies with us. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408969215.363605.jpg

I liked that marina we spent a month there before heading to the Great Lakes, it is much nicer now the restaurant is open.

I liked that marina we spent a month there before heading to the Great Lakes, it is much nicer now the restaurant is open.

Yes, the food in the resteraunt was great!

Update: Boat has been pulled and they are going start the gelcoat repairs, exhaust blanket, ER blowers, full detail, and many other things. Just don't they dont have my baba too long.:blush:
10645272_530646743703398_5249925413710288821_n.jpg

They're making progress, stabilizers, crane rebuild, generator injector pump, and various others things are finished, just waiting on a new muffler and a couple small things then we'll be on our way home.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410485229.115732.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410485242.959543.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410485256.410237.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410485271.612286.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. 4712. Is that a wing on your port stabilizer? What's the story on that?

RTF,

I believe the winglets (there's one on each fin) are supposed to increase the effectiveness of the stabilizers.

Some photo's if you're intrigued.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410486564.981532.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410486586.538491.jpg

The one pic looks like a 10 or 12 inch automotive cooling fan. How much $$$ was that. I have 8 of them in my engine room. 4 in and 4 out, all temp controlled. Total cost, about $350.

The one pic looks like a 10 or 12 inch automotive cooling fan. How much $$$ was that. I have 8 of them in my engine room. 4 in and 4 out, all temp controlled. Total cost, about $350.

Not sure yet. The boat stock has 3 Dayton 110v blowers pulling air out, while it worked after talking with James we opted to put those two in to pull air into the ER which would result in lower ER temps. They are going to be controlled by a relay off the 110v blowers (The new ones are 12v) with their own dedicated breaker on the panel.

Excellent. More air moving thru the engine room never hurts. I have an off/on/auto switch for mine, each has its own switch and relay. The bank of 16 relays are controlled by a thermostat when in auto mode. The relay bank is fused at 150 amps and each fan has a 25 amp breaker and two 30 amp relays with indicators. Fans pull about 9 amps each. Same setup as my bilge pumps except they are zone controlled with time delays.

Excellent. More air moving thru the engine room never hurts. I have an off/on/auto switch for mine, each has its own switch and relay. The bank of 16 relays are controlled by a thermostat when in auto mode. The relay bank is fused at 150 amps and each fan has a 25 amp breaker and two 30 amp relays with indicators. Fans pull about 9 amps each. Same setup as my bilge pumps except they are zone controlled with time delays.

Cripes! what do run, the QE2?

Not quite, but it does take awhile to cool down a pair of large DD engines. Without a lot of air moving thru the engine room the heat soak into the living area is difficult for the ac to handle, especially in hot weather.

Old muffler and new muffler.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411137451.168707.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411137493.754636.jpg

On diesels, all you really need is good ER ventilation, the giant air pump that is your engine will suck in all the air it needs. "Blow in" blowers and fans are nice when you are working in the ER, or if for various design reasons the vents are small. Interesting to note, Hatteras installed DC "suck out" blowers in the ER, primarily to vacate battery fumes (duct inlet is near the floor) and advised using them when below planing speed. They also installed additional AC "suck out" blowers, with duct inlet above the engines, both to help cool off shut down engines and to evacuate the compartment if the fire system had discharged.

On diesels, all you really need is good ER ventilation, the giant air pump that is your engine will suck in all the air it needs. "Blow in" blowers and fans are nice when you are working in the ER, or if for various design reasons the vents are small. Interesting to note, Hatteras installed DC "suck out" blowers in the ER, primarily to vacate battery fumes (duct inlet is near the floor) and advised using them when below planing speed. They also installed additional AC "suck out" blowers, with duct inlet above the engines, both to help cool off shut down engines and to evacuate the compartment if the fire system had discharged.

I get the ER cooling after shut down, but seems like "for evacuating the ER after fire suppression discharge" violates the idea of not allowing any more oxygen into the ER compartment. It has to "suck in" air to discharge. Could rekindle fire with this air.

We went with push in blowers because thats what James Knight said worked best with the 47'. The ER stock has 3 pull out blowers, port and stb, and one that pushes air through the stack. The reason I was told why push in work best for our application is because it creates positive pressure where air is forced up the center of the stack. So that's what we went with. :socool::flowers:

On our way home, finally!
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411827567.216333.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1411827584.329402.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom