Water Supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
go ahead...we have more aircraft carriers now.....:D

Oh, crap, right.

As we don't have guerilla's in Canada we can't train them up for guerilla warfare, but we do have Sasquatches. If you think you have trouble fighting guerilla's where there's no trees to hide behind, you sure don't want a forest war against Sasquatches :eek:

You Canadians should not get so cock sure. Within the next 45 days we here in Florida can hold hostage 40% of your national worth. On a serious note, I am really looking forward to the return of my northern friends here at the marina.

Shhhhh..I told you were the gas is.....

Oh, crap, right.

As we don't have guerilla's in Canada we can't train them up for guerilla warfare, but we do have Sasquatches. If you think you have trouble fighting guerilla's where there's no trees to hide behind, you sure don't want a forest war against Sasquatches :eek:

Aaaaahhhh hell send them to Fort Benning , we been training our future advisories there for over 30 years. You guys will:lol: be easy to train insofar you almost speak English,...Aye :lol:

Shhhhh..I told you were the gas is.....

No problem, eh! :thumb:

I'll send out the secret code word, our Canadian comedians will distract you, then we'll send in Celine Dion in the last few minutes to really distract and throw off your game.

Then again, maybe we aren't such bad neighbours after all :flowers:

No problem, eh! :thumb:

I'll send out the secret code word, our Canadian comedians will distract you, then we'll send in Celine Dion in the last few minutes to really distract and throw off your game.

Then again, maybe we aren't such bad neighbours after all :flowers:
A couple of ya can be a handful now and then..but all in all...I couldn't ask for better neighbors through the good and bad times our countries have seen.:thumb: ....many unsung heroes and organizations Canada has produced...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Based on the alcohol and boating thread...you may have to supply us coming up again.....:D

Never saw the need to connect with the public water supply. We don't live aboard nor are big water uses. Using up 200 gallons of water takes many months, so on occasion I pump the water overboard and refill with new water and treat with some bleach.

Live aboard...big diff.

I even have a splitter for water at the city inlet as we use water almost every day aboard to water plants, wash miscellaneous things, wash a dog, rinse fishing gear, flush the outboard, etc...etc...why go onto the dock and drag everything there?

Yep...many discussions on TF could be separated into liveaboard/not. And even then there will be differences of opinion...but I'll bet there would be tighter groupings.

I dont have the ability to connect directly to city water. I certainly wouldnt trust my boat to a 40 dollar pressure regulator. Even if i did, I wouldn't think it a wise decision. But that's just me.

You trust your boat to a whole bunch of things that cost a lot less than 40 bucks. A regulator and a device like that in Jeff's article cost less than $40 combined.

You trust your boat to a whole bunch of things that cost a lot less than 40 bucks.

How many of our boats can easily be put into serious danger by the failure of a hose clamp or two? I don't think it's much less than 100%.

You trust your boat to a whole bunch of things that cost a lot less than 40 bucks. A regulator and a device like that in Jeff's article cost less than $40 combined.

Well, that is true, but on the other side of that 40 dollar regulator is 100 psi hose that can dump up 15-20 gallons a minute. That's 900-1200 gallons per hour or 7200-9600 lbs per hour. My boat displaces 22000 lbs. So a 3/4" garden hose hose could theoretically displace my boat in just over 2 hours. Not to mention the damage it would do. And from what I see in most (if not all) boats, the 'plumbing system' is far less robust than what I see on land based homes.

Well, I have 2 2000 per hr and 1 1500 an hour pumps. I have an alarm that no one can live with within 100 yards. I do not have a city water inlet. I could live with a limiting regulator. 600 gallon then shuts off. I would still cut off when leaving but another layer of protection could not hurt.

All nice...but if you turn it off when away....no issue.

Like many things in boatng...forgetting something can become a big issue no matter whatyou are doing or where you are....

Everyone has their comfort zone and like I have posted many times..liveaboards often do things a bit different...because.....

On the Mainship I forgot more than once.

1) If you turn the water off at the pedestal there is a chance someone will turn it back on. Best to disconnect the hose and store it.

2) Garden center products are not as robust as marine products should be. When that $9.00 timer fails at home, you just overwater your lawn. When it fails "protecting" your boat, that's much more serious.

Used food grade hose, I also had an RV inline charcoal filter I changed out Quaterly.. So no.

In 10 years of living aboard...no one has ever "turned my water back on".:rolleyes:

Again...if you are living aboard your boat (or when you are even if not full time)...I think it's completely different than when you leave for the week or longer. Sure at that point disconnect.

But all these great maintained boats everyone brags about here need to recheck their plumbing...:D

Mineis just as robust as the local, newly built homes...mine is all brand ne pex with all good fittings.

Plus I trust my bilge pumps to keep up with a garden hose...if I didn't expect that...I'm not sure going too far away from land is a good idea then.:eek:

>I have 2 2000 per hr and 1 1500 an hour pumps.<

Pumps are rated with no head , ask them to lift the water 2-4 or more ft and the water removed may be 1/2 or less.

On ships they get away from this , somewhat, by just pumping the water out , thru the hull, rather than lifting it.

But they use very different pumps from the $59.00 boaters special.

AS a 20+ year liveaboard , I never installed a dock pressure system.

Using the water tanks keeps them fresh and work required 2-3 days away , so why take the risk?

Last edited:
Did it ever sink from the fresh water hose?

Nope, been lucky..on new boat on direct hook up, new spare fresh water pump on the ready. Will not have that on my mind anymore.

Most boats don't sink from city water leaks. Some do. As long as you're in the group that doesn't you'll be fine. The easiest way to be sure you're in that group is to not leave the city water connected. Fill the tanks and disconnect the hose.

The plumbing on a boat should be every bit as robust as that on land. If not, and/or if not inspected and maintained, then you will have an issue with a "tank/pump only" one of these days. If one regulator is too scary, use two. If you are afraid the metering device will fail, or that some evil doer will turn your water back on and your crappy plumbing will fail and sink your boat, unhook the hose. This is one of those boating bogeymen that always has bemused me, especially when I see people who are super paranoid about this issue blithely leave their shore power on and connected 24/7...

For folks that go cruising you MUST taste the water before putting it into your tanks.

Sure it may all be potable, but some tastes like a drained public swimming pool ,some is worse!

Multiple tanks is desired so you can still operate with out taking on board near sewage.
Or IF you are desperate only one tank can be filled , and dumped as soon as better water is available.
A 2 inch drain in a water tank is advised.

Btw folks, the relatively new product called PEX is great for your water systems. Both the shark and crimp (special crimper kit) I think is great. Way better than copper.

Btw folks, the relatively new product called PEX is great for your water systems. Both the shark and crimp (special crimper kit) I think is great. Way better than copper.

I don't know that it is way better than copper, functionality and durability wise, but it is sure easier to work with, and you can get adaptors to add to a legacy copper system. I like the SeaTech stuff for a lot of applications in that it does not require special tools and is easy to disassemble if you have to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom