Sailabration Baltimore 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apollo32

Vessel Name
Sean P. Sullivan
Vessel Make
Apollo 32
Anyone heading to the inner harbor this coming weekend for all the festivities? I'm a first timer for this event by boat.
www.starspangled200.com

We're not, but have dockmate's who are coming up.

In case you're not aware, I understand there are some travel restrictions -- as long as 1000-1800 -- on the days when the Blue Angels are there.

-Chris

I heard that the Patapsco river will basically be closed off to any marine traffic while the Airshow safety zone is in place just south of Ft. McHenry so plan accordingly. They claim the week long event will bring a million visitors into Charm City so any marina's will require advance reservations. I may run up in my center console on Sunday to catch the airshow. It will be crowded with the usual anchoring shenanagins. Enjoy your trip.
Slowpoke

My hometown....love to do it, but with the Trawler Fest, Annapolis Power Boat Show and the Krogen Rendezvous going on soon, one has to choose from a vast fall menu.

Big ships are heading past my house on the way to B'More, just up the Patapasco. It looks like an Aegis cruiser passing by right now!

I guess that will shut the harbor down.

Hey, we are going to have a WWII LST on our waterfront next week.

The CG Eagle is passing by. Flying only her staysails.

Man, what a front row seat you've got there, Lurker! I suppose the Sailabration should rival the '76 gathering. I can't recall, but the Inner Harbor was just taking shape at that time. Key Hwy was still somewhat active and the area south of the harbor was recovering from slumdom. Allied Chemical at the foot of Block St. was still poluting and 11 tugs were still parking at Fells Point pier. It was a rough place.

Now, it's Charm City.

I was leaving Baltimore Inner Harbor in '04 and met the Eagle as she was coming under the Key Bridge. Quite a sight.

If I didn't have to pretend I am working, I'd be out on the deck with the spotting scope ... or anchored out in the river.

I was anchored out for the departure of the tall ships in 2012 for the 1st part of this event. As I looked up the river into the harbor where there was, I dunno, maybe a dozen tall ships, I understood the expression, "a forest of masts." It must have been quite a sight 200 years ago when there were any number of sailing ships crammed into the harbor.

Yesterday I also saw 2-3 small grey boats heading up river. Probably patrol or SF craft of some sort.

Thought this would fit in here. Many of you know of the Stars and Stripes bouy placed a the approximate place that the ship was anchored that Frances Scott Key wrote the words to our National Anthem. I have taken all my family members there. This is it like I had never heard it.

Star Spangled Banner as you have never heard before

Thank you for that link, Don. I might add that if you haven't seen the size of the flag that flew over Ft. McHenry on "the dawn's early light", it's hard to believe that we had a flag pole big enough to fly such a huge thing. It is displayed in the Smithsonian's main lobby, and covers the entire lobby wall opposite of the entrance. At first, one thinks that the lobby wall is just painted like a huge American flag, but when you realize that it's actually a real flag, it easy to understand that this thing was a gigantic billboard in the face of the British fleet. It is three times the size of the big dealer flags, and nearly ten times the weight, according to the National Park Service employee on duty. I don't know how such a flag could have been raised or flown in any wind or turbulance from that bombardment. The pole must have been a California Redwood.

Sailabration is over and I'm now watching the warships and tall ship as they head out.

I think Trawlerfest boats are starting to show up. This little guy headed up Stoney Creek yesterday.

Stargazer was passing by last month ... man, I love those N46's.

Attachments

• DSCN4836.jpg
    DSCN4836.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN4830.jpg
    DSCN4830.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 125

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom