What to do with this much room??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
The results of removing the two primary tanks in the ER is a gaping 15'x5'x 5'-7" high space at the rear of the ER. I have relocated the genset to a centerline position back there and am placing the house banks centerline as well and under the genny. This is all great as it puts a lot of weight in the center and much lower then before!! But... there are vast spaces on both sides that I don't think I can fill even after removing every single scrap of non-yachting stuff to these spaces. I'm thinking a deep freeze and a washer/dryer. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking something practical like a man cave. Lazy-boy, beer fridge and a big screen tv with surround sound.

Greetings,
Mother-in-law suite.
pee-wee-omg.gif

Last edited:
Lets see.. I will take a shot at it...

Manyboats.. extra line for the non chain anchor setup
MarkPierce.. pictures albums of the Coot ( he would need more space)
Delfin.. extra HUGE anchors
Marin.. reams of paper for his " essays"
Wxx3 .. he does it single hand and doesn't need anything
GFC.. wax for that gleaming sled of his
RT Firefly.. his hard drive with wacky face pictures
Galaxy Girl... duh.. more kids
RickB.. the volumes of marine engine facts he spews forth..
ksanders.. Parkas.. he boats full time in Alaska.. that takes stones.
HOLLYWOOD.. collection of soap boxes to stand on
:lol:

Actually I would put nothing.. nada.. zip.. zero.. After Volunteer both of the last two boats have had E.R's that you have to crawl to get around...
I miss my walk around engine room
HOLLYWOOD

I agree. I like empty space. I like that u have more center weight and lower as well!

For my boat use, fishing and hinting, I would put in two freezers. But that really fits my use best. Not sure what fits yours best....

Hollywood, that's funny!

Mark, There is no rush. Take your time. This is an opportunity few boaters ever get.
Do you still have enough tankage? Silly question, you wouldn't have done it if you didn't.

Me, I'd be thinking how I could put a workbench with a nice vice, drill press and bench grinder in the space. Maybe a little marine supply and tackle store on the other side.

Seriously, if I had the space, a small darkroom for developing 4x5 negatives would be going in there. (Temperature swings unimportant using a compensating developing timer with my films time/development curves).

At current without a new probable day tank I have about 300 gallons. I removed or more accurately, my son removed over 700 gallons. 300 still leaves me over 150 hours run time. As to the workbench with vise, Art DeFever had already seen to that!! I would add tankage only if I decided to join Richard for a pint.

Last edited:
Mark, where are you at re that idea of the stern-mounted fuel tank..?

I did the same with a Krogen 42, reduced tankage from 700 US gallons to 440 US gallons. Used extra space to store spare lines, spare wire and cable, and a couple of parts boxes. Used one area to put in a dedicated fuel tank (12 gallons) for the wing engine and a dedicated Racor. Love it.

Mark, where are you at re that idea of the stern-mounted fuel tank..?

I'm still pondering it as the replacement. The aft tanks will be removed soon as well.

Still in SW Harbor Mark? Make a live well down there, fill it with lobsters and sell them off bit by bit on your way south.

This thread is just mean. Those of us that do not carry more than 3pairs of skivvies because of room issues is like rubbing salt in the wound....:facepalm:

Daddyo,sounds like party space to me.You've already ruled out what would be my suggestion of more fuel tankage, and not knowing your current cruising habits, and future cruising habits,I can offer little feedback.In my case,I would do eveything possible to create storage for spares,tools,and consumables for the boat.I do like the idea of having a small chest freezer for those extended, away from land, voyages.My idea or cruising,I guess,would be like remote gunkholing.When I was gunkholing on runabouts and pontoons,I didn't want to see anything touched by man or man.I want peace and solitude with whoever I decide to bring with me.

This thread is just mean. Those of us that do not carry more than 3pairs of skivvies because of room issues is like rubbing salt in the wound....:facepalm:

Did you just refer to your but as a wound? :lol:

Daddyo,sounds like party space to me.You've already ruled out what would be my suggestion of more fuel tankage, and not knowing your current cruising habits, and future cruising habits,I can offer little feedback.In my case,I would do eveything possible to create storage for spares,tools,and consumables for the boat.I do like the idea of having a small chest freezer for those extended, away from land, voyages.My idea or cruising,I guess,would be like remote gunkholing.When I was gunkholing on runabouts and pontoons,I didn't want to see anything touched by man or man.I want peace and solitude with whoever I decide to bring with me.

Did you just refer to your but as a wound? :lol:

Just hurts, the idea, whining about TOO much space...as for the salt, my butt is tough, hell, I usta work for Bell telephone..I took...well salt is nothing.

Here is an idea, put in a small bed and give an engine room dwarf, pigmy, midget, little person or the PC flavor of the week, room and board to take care of your on board issues with freedom to do outside work... There ya go. Have strict requirements on weight gain, what good is he/her if too wide to get to the little crowded spaces.

For this superior idea, just send a few thousand to my pay pal account...PM me for details. :rofl::rofl: Yeah, I crack myself up.

Along the same lines as psneeld......I'd be brewing some tasty suds. Warm and dark..what a great spot for a brewery..... swap one tank for another.

Daddyo.....I was in Deltaville VA this last winter looking at boats and could have sworn I saw your vessel wintering at the Chesapeake Boat Works Yard next to Fishing Bay Marina. Was that you?

Just hurts, the idea, whining about TOO much space...as for the salt, my butt is tough, hell, I usta work for Bell telephone..I took...well salt is nothing.

Here is an idea, put in a small bed and give an engine room dwarf, pigmy, midget, little person or the PC flavor of the week, room and board to take care of your on board issues with freedom to do outside work... There ya go. Have strict requirements on weight gain, what good is he/her if too wide to get to the little crowded spaces.

For this superior idea, just send a few thousand to my pay pal account...PM me for details. :rofl::rofl: Yeah, I crack myself up.

:lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom