Proper way to secure flexible exhaust hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wagmore

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
N/A
Our recently acquired Nordic 26 has an inadequately secured exhaust hose, something our surveyor suggested we address. Doing so doesn't look terribly difficult, but I'm unsure the best way to go.

The section that is loose is between the flange connection where the exhaust exits the rear of the hull, continuing forward through an arc about three feet. The hose was previously secured with two screw head type tie wraps, but both of them failed right at the screw heads. Not too surprising...between aging plastic and the vibration in these obviously weak spots, it was bound to happen.

Is there a preferred support method for this type of flexible pipe? I'm visualizing something like a large cushion clamp...perhaps a pair of large stainless bands to surround the 4" exhaust hose, but lined with something to prevent wear. Whatever I use, I'd prefer to secure it to points underneath with a pair of Weldmount studs - they would be more than adequate strength-wise, and I'm loathe to drill when not needed. Especially since one of the two supports would be best located on the bottom of the cored cockpit sole.

When you say "screw head type tie wraps" are you referring to hose clamps?

I am positive you will get a good answer here regarding your dilemma, but some pictures would certainly be helpful,

When you say "screw head type tie wraps" are you referring to hose clamps?

I am positive you will get a good answer here regarding your dilemma, but some pictures would certainly be helpful,

I believe wagmore is referring to the zip ties with the extra ring for securing them with a screw.

Amazon.com: Mounted Head Cable Ties - Color: Black - 100pcs: Office Products

11n7Qx%2B46%2BL.jpg

I had the same thing as a recommendation on our survey. I cut and sealed (with penetrating epoxy) a couple of pieces of 2X3 and epoxied them to the hull. Then I cut out the center section of some old lawn tractor tires and bolted them to the wood blocks with the exhaust hose in the loop. Mine came out of the wet exhaust and laid on the deck till going up and through the bulkhead to the lazerette and dropped down to the through hulls.

exhaust hose support

I think I busted a rib getting over that water heater. Still, this is so much better than the sailboat. I mean really, the hose has room to lie on the deck?
2466-albums287-picture1622.jpg

I believe wagmore is referring to the zip ties with the extra ring for securing them with a screw.

11n7Qx%2B46%2BL.jpg

Correct - those are what was used previously, and are all over the boat. Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of them. If they're simply holding something in place and not providing support, i.e. along a wire raceway - they're not bad. However, once stress is applied at the screw mount, they always seem to fail eventually. Still, regardless of whether they're properly used - I'd consider any of the Weldmount wire tie mounts a superior solution. Holds better, less fatigue on the tie wrap, no drilling, and you can reuse them with standard tie wraps if you need to remove something being secured.

I cut and sealed (with penetrating epoxy) a couple of pieces of 2X3 and epoxied them to the hull. Then I cut out the center section of some old lawn tractor tires and bolted them to the wood blocks with the exhaust hose in the loop. Mine came out of the wet exhaust and laid on the deck till going up and through the bulkhead to the lazerette and dropped down to the through hulls.

Clever...

My only concern with this solution is space. The exhaust hose runs through an area that is used for stowage, and anything I can do to tuck the hose high without obstructions will help with the limited clearance between it and the bottom of the hold.

Pictures would indeed help, and I'll snap some up tomorrow when I head down to the boat.

As RT suggests the pipe hanger tape works well.

The copper type.

I stayed away from the hard edge stuff (copper or steel strapping) because I was afraid of wear.

They do make plastic strapping...already perforated...I used it to hang new fuel tank filler hose. Home Depot I think...

Thanks, all - good suggestions.

Think I'll go with the copper strap, attached to Weldmount studs - but lined with rubber to fend off any wear.

Agreed, that would be nice. However, I was unable to find cushion clamps that would surround a 4" diameter hose.

Hence my plan to duplicate one with the copper strap and rubber...but if such an example exists off the shelf, any pointers would be welcome.

Greetings,
Mr. W. Copper strap and a length of bicycle inner tube (I would suggest smaller diameter racing tubes) or even a length of bicycle racing TIRE (with the bead cut off) should give you the cushion you desire.

Perhaps even strips made from the tire of last years winning car at the Indianapolis 500.

I used seat belts from Napa. Adjustable and had bolt on ends

Attachments

• IMG_20140909_201414_262.jpg
    IMG_20140909_201414_262.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 135
AYBC approved no doubt.LOL

Oh, I like the seat belt! Wish I thought of it.

I like to see some flexibility in exhaust hose mounting and attention paid to possible abrasion to the hose from mounting hardware or near objects.

I have some work to do in this regard.

Greetings,
Mr. d2. Dag-nabbit! Now ya done it. Some "bright light" at ABYC is going to see your idea, mandate it into law and we're ALL screwed. Thanks a LOT pal...
tumblr_lt2gxwkyDK1qj13r9.gif

Yep... next is airbags... and if they stay inflated...maybe they can relax a bunch of other things if we can't sink. :thumb:

Well, after complaining about the previous tie wraps - I decided to use them again. :D

This time, done better. A pair of 175 lb. tensile strength zip ties per support location, each through a Weldmount AT-5 tie-wrap holder rated at 150 lbs. Wrapped each support section in some red rubber to keep abrasion at bay.

Made for a very neat and snug install, with nothing dangling to interfere with stowage. And, the best part...$10 and 20 minutes.

Attachments

• nt-3.jpg
    nt-3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 65
Neat, clean, I think we have a winner!

I worked on a new genny exhaust system last year. Never thought to ask for exhaust hanging ideas. I tend to do stuff to suit my self anyway. In my case, I used 3/32 stainless cable, and run it thru really thick 1/2" rubber hose to protect the exhaust hose from abrasion. I hung the cable from stainless eye bolts attached to the cockpit floor. It was in a hard place to get my rather rotund body and still have both hands free. I attached the eye bolts, then clamped one end of the cable to the eye bolt. Then fed the other end of the cable to about a foot of hose, looped around the exhaust hose, then took the free end looped thru the eyebolt and clamped by hand. this gave me a firm enough clamp to let go without it slipping while I tightened the cable clamp with a wrench. I't took a bit of hardware, but all was available at my local True Value Hardware store.

I hate to be a spoil sport but I will. From the picture you have shown I wonder if you have not created a situation where the engine will be backfilled with exhaust water from the riser at some point.

The hose, the section from the engine that appears to rise to the overhead, could fill with water to the high point where you have strapped the hose to the overhead.

That would be OK IF the riser [dry] itself rose to that height, then injected the water although even that would require a drop to ensure water cannot back up, and then follow the overhead on a small drop to close to the transom exhaust port where it could finish the drop.

Look up and read the articles, more than one, but don't ignore them yet.
I hope I'm wrong but be sure or it could cost you your engine.

http://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips.php#exhaust

Is that your fuel tank running athwartships? And if so what is the capacity?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom