Went To The Ship Yard For Compounding And Waxing "THEN CAME"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Had my boat hauled out for detailing in early June before leaving for a stay in Florida. THEN CAME my lovely bride wanting to see the boat on land. Once seeing the condition the hull was in she said "we can not go to Florida in something looking like that. THEN CAME the detailer saying that the gel coat was in to bad of shape for compounding an waxing needs painting. After 25 gallons of Primer, Imron Paint, Interlux 2000,an anti fouling paint, which is not all applied yet, we are still high an dry. THEN CAME if we going to have it painted we will need a new swim platform, new out carpet and a number of other might as wells. THEN CAME the ship yard guy saying well since we got her up might as well do the running gear, reworked props, rudders, bearings, and what ever else was needed. I sure hope there not many more THEN CAMES before going back in the water.
DSCN1690.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1694.jpg
    DSCN1694.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN1713.jpg
    DSCN1713.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN1696.jpg
    DSCN1696.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Welcome to the wunnerful world of boating. Just make sure y'all bring lots of boat bucks because....THEN CAME the bills!

Let's see some pics as the work gets done please.

lol. hence the name lunasea!

All that work , and she will still look like all the rest when you get south with a big brown mustache at the bow.

I prefer to paint a boat before its Sold , not before its used and cruised

THANKS for title correction. Found out you can not edit title.

All that work , and she will still look like all the rest when you get south with a big brown mustache at the bow.

I agree "BUT THE BRIDE SAID" and I saw that as a get out of jail free card when the bills come in.

The most expensive four words in boating: " while we're at it..."

No need for that mustache by the way. Ask the yard about applying a sealer like Rejex or Awlcare then just hose her off at the end of the day. A new Imron job may not even need that.

When will you be bringing her back to David's I'd like to have a look? Are you painting topsides too or compound and wax?

Bottom line is this...if it's a boat you know, trust, and like, invest in it. Because boat buying is truly a "caveat emptor", (buyer beware) experience.

Keep on cruising!

Captain Bob
www.captainbobsyachtservice.com

When will you be bringing her back to David's I'd like to have a look? Are you painting topsides too or compound and wax?[/QUOTE

For some reason the painter Gary with Gary's Yacht Bright wants to paint above rub rails and cockpit with boat in water, I have no problem with that. Gary is doing a GREAT job an going the extra mile to make things come out right. I was surprised that most of the hardware, rub rails, port lights are still available from the original manufacture. I think we will be at least another month, do to the fact that the swim plat form will be made and installed at the ship yard plus the many bottom coats of 2000 and anti fouling.

rshirc
That is why we are doing all this work. We really enjoy the boat with all our friends and the interior works well. I also think I know the boat well because after looking at my check book it seems I must have rebuilt it. LOL

Had my boat hauled out for detailing in early June before leaving for a stay in Florida. THEN CAME my lovely bride wanting to see the boat on land. Once seeing the condition the hull was in she said "we can not go to Florida in something looking like that. THEN CAME the detailer saying that the gel coat was in to bad of shape for compounding an waxing needs painting. After 25 gallons of Primer, Imron Paint, Interlux 2000,an anti fouling paint, which is not all applied yet, we are still high an dry. THEN CAME if we going to have it painted we will need a new swim platform, new out carpet and a number of other might as wells. THEN CAME the ship yard guy saying well since we got her up might as well do the running gear, reworked props, rudders, bearings, and what ever else was needed. I sure hope there not many more THEN CAMES before going back in the water.
View attachment 32703

Bro...........I feel your pain...

For some reason the painter Gary with Gary's Yacht Bright wants to paint above rub rails and cockpit with boat in water, I have no problem with that. Gary is doing a GREAT job an going the extra mile to make things come out right. I was surprised that most of the hardware, rub rails, port lights are still available from the original manufacture. I think we will be at least another month, do to the fact that the swim plat form will be made and installed at the ship yard plus the many bottom coats of 2000 and anti fouling.

rshirc
That is why we are doing all this work. We really enjoy the boat with all our friends and the interior works well. I also think I know the boat well because after looking at my check book it seems I must have rebuilt it. LOL

I think the reason they wanting to do the topsides on the water lies within the antifowling paint needing to be in the water.I don't quite understand why,but antifowling paint need to be in the water to prevent future issues with it.Some of these other characters can probably explain it better than I.

Went to the boat today to meet with the painter. I ask why does he paint top side with boat in water. Due to the height of the boat out of the water and being a one man company if he was to fall from that height and working from a ladder it could be all over do to injury.

Our boat was awl gripped several years back and after almost completing the loop, currently stuck in Grafton due to high water MS water levels we never did get a brown mustache, it just never stuck ...

Went to the boat today to meet with the painter. I ask why does he paint top side with boat in water. Due to the height of the boat out of the water and being a one man company if he was to fall from that height and working from a ladder it could be all over do to injury.

Ummm ... Mobile Scaffold???!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Getting close hope to be in the water end of Oct. Glad I hired a short guy to do the bottom.

6 coats Interlux 2000
2 coats International Speed Pro 640

Attachments

• DSCN1722.jpg
    DSCN1722.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Getting close hope to be in the water end of Oct.

6 coats Interlux 2000
2 coats International Speed Pro 640

Car,
Boat,

I Never maintained the outside, gives me pease of mind because NOBODY want to park next to me because they are afraid I not take care of anything......

Hard to get a good pic of the shine.

Attachments

• DSCN1717.jpg
    DSCN1717.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 80
As you can see we will do the rest of the boat on land. Gary agreed to finish the boat on land if we got scuffles and he did not have to work on ladders, so off to the rental company we went.

Attachments

• DSCN1724.jpg
    DSCN1724.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 85
A friend has his fishing catamaran the "Aussie Cat" at Dulac Shipyard too maybe you saw it?

Steve
Was that boat for Mr. Jake, who ever it was for it has been sold. They are doing whatever needs to be done to complete the sale. The new owners are talking with Gary to paint the boat with a wild design on the sides.

SPLASH MONDAY !!!!!!!

After 5 months ,we let the boat dry out for 4 months,in the shipyard and much much work and many of B.O.A.T.'s we are ready to splash. I would like to thank Gary with GARY'S YACHT BRIGHT Houma La. for a job very well done. His ideas and craftsmanship has brought the LUNASEA to level above what I thought could be done. With over 40 gallons , 6 coats of epoxy and 2 coats anti foul, of bottom paint and 4 gallons of Imron, and reworking all running gear I hope we are ready for a few fun summers.
I was very surprised to know that most of the parts, rub rail, port lights and other moldings we needed where still available from the original manufacturers. Now we will do the top side at the dock.
:) :thumb:

Congrats on having a floating boat again! I bet it feels good.

I believe the buyer of the Aussie Cat is a towboat Captain for Setoon.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you, not that long given all the work that was done, congrat's.

We launch Tuesday after being out two years.

So many things fixed, replaced, modified or otherwise messed with I'm apprehensive. Hope I got it all back together and won't have any shocking surprises. Painting the bottom tomorrow. Gathering mooring lines, fenders and all other operational stuff for Tuesday.

We launch Tuesday after being out two years.

So many things fixed, replaced, modified or otherwise messed with I'm apprehensive. Hope I got it all back together and won't have any shocking surprises. Painting the bottom tomorrow. Gathering mooring lines, fenders and all other operational stuff for Tuesday.

Eric,

Best of luck on the launch. Just went through a very similar experience. Now 3 trips and 120 miles later everything is holding and looks good. Torque checked on all the fasteners, clamps and hoses checked, temps measured, I think maybe it's safe to breathe now . . . . :thumb:

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom