Rocna Anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My anchor comes up under the bow pulpit with the shaft going through it the delta fit snugly but looking at those pIX I don't see how a rockna could work.

Yes mine does, catches under the front of the pulpit, haven't had any issues to date. I downloaded the print of model I was buying (you tape 6-8 pieces of paper together for actual size) to test fit.

Anyone use rockna with that top hoop on a pulpit where the anchor pulls up against the bottom of the pulpit?

Powering up the anchor with a windlass is one way to get a new windlass. Break it out with boat momentum; the windlass is just to lift the rode and anchor out of the water.

I have a 44# Rocna and have anchored with it hundreds of times without fail.

on Adirondack in a 36' Monk

Anchors--Thanks for all the helpful anchor info. We have a Mainship that is 39 feet in length, so what size Rochna anchor would be recommended? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Anchors--Thanks for all the helpful anchor info. We have a Mainship that is 39 feet in length, so what size Rochna anchor would be recommended? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Your best bet is to go straight to the horses mouth:

Sizing Guide | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid

Rocna has extensive write-ups about chain, catanery, anchoring, etc. It is worth digging through their technical papers. Also note that Rocna specifically advises against oversizing the anchor. They claim they have already done so for you.

I had a Rocna and had zero problems with it. However I returned it when I got caught up in one of the first anchors to get recalled. I had one of the first Chinese models, and after one season the galvanization was flaking off in huge chunks.

I returned mine for a Manson Supreme. I can attest that from an anchoring stand-point, I have never dragged on either the Manson or the Rocna.

Prior to these, I had a Fortress and dragged several times.

Now my only problem with the Rocna/Manson is breaking the habit of anchoring at 10:1 that developed from using inferior anchors.

Incidentally, I will never have anything other than a Rocna or a Manson Supreme as my bower again. I have literally seen these anchors hold in 10 kts at 0 scope (vertical). I wouldn't sleep that way, but it does instill some confidence.

In one anchor test the Supreme held w over 4000lbs tension on the rode at 3-1 scope. And in other tests it received good remarks for it's short scope ability.

When we were researching anchors a number of years ago to find a more reliable one than the one we had on the boat, I talked to Rocna in NZ for quite awhile about their product. They told me that their sizing recommendations were based on worst-case scenarios, not average anchoring scenarios. For our boat, they recommended the Rocna 20, which is 44 pounds.

I don't know if their recommendations are still the same, but for a boat like yours I would be inclined to go to a Rocna 25, which is 55 pounds. This is assuming the Rocna 25 will fit your pulpit. There is a 45' aluminum power cat on our dock that has a Rocna 25, and while I've never taken the time to take actual measurements, I'm not sure its shank would fit our pulpit, which like all older GBs is fairly short.

Last edited:
Rocna has asked me to help them with their booth at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. I think they will be showing their new hoopless anchor. It will give another option for those of us who pull their anchors through a pulpit.

Rocna has asked me to help them with their booth at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. I think they will be showing their new hoopless anchor. It will give another option for those of us who pull their anchors through a pulpit.
I don't think it is very nice of you to call their new anchor hopeless.

The best sizing selector I have seen is the one on the Ultra site. I would trust this as accurate.

Anchor Selection

I have a 25kg/55lb Rocna on my 2000 390 Mainship. It fits the pulpit perfectly.

I believe my 36' Monk calls for a 15 kg Rocna. I have a 20 kg and have never regretted the upsize. I'd probably use the 25 on a 39', especially if it has the additional windage of an enclosure.

"It should be so big they laugh..."
As I posted earlier we have a Rocna 25 on our 40' and we seem to be the only ones who have had a Rocna drag, which happened twice in three days.
However, we have anchored 27 nights since then with no problems, including current/wind reversals.
Rocna's website now recommends up to a 30, and if I were buying one again I would go with that.

Parks: are you handling Rocna......didn't know about that.

...we have a Rocna 25 on our 40' and we seem to be the only ones who have had a Rocna drag, which happened twice in three days.
However, we have anchored 27 nights since then with no problems, including current/wind reversals...
Maybe anchors are like new cars, they need to be run in. My Super Sarca dragged first 2 times we wet it, but never ever since.

Larry, we don't have them yet. If they sell well at the ft laud show, I'll bring them in.

As I posted earlier we have a Rocna 25 on our 40' and we seem to be the only ones who have had a Rocna drag, which happened twice in three days.
However, we have anchored 27 nights since then with no problems, including current/wind reversals.
Rocna's website now recommends up to a 30, and if I were buying one again I would go with that.

Could you describe the conditions in which you dragged?

I'm now in the Ronca camp. Darn boatshow... I'm keeping my CQR in case the Ronca sucks though. :eek:.

Commiserations. I suspect underwater nymphs and gremlins at play. My Super Sarca had not dragged in 2 years, it dragged twice on NYE, and last Sunday. Each time we followed our usual anchoring practices.

Bruce don't blame your SARCA. Remember the biggest variable in anchoring ....... the sea floor. No gremlins or sea nypmphs anywhere. av8r not being in the Rocna camp I have no idea what a Rocna 25 or 30 is but the same applies to you. People seem to think if they shop around and buy the product the guru's mostly buy and what consumer report blesses that it will work perfectly and no variations in it's performance can be expected. Certain cars are known to be really good but on certain gloomy days or even sunny days they will unexpectedly just not start. And if anchors wer'nt dependent on the sea floor for their performance they would come much closer to perfection.

Bruce don't blame your SARCA. Remember the biggest variable in anchoring ....... the sea floor. No gremlins or sea nymphs ..
You are probably right Eric. Both times we were not the only boat dragging, but it was quite unexpected the S/Sarca would drag. I think the floor was mud,from the mess on the gear. S=sand,R=rock? No "M".

While never having dragged (with Danforth or claw), I get paranoid when anchoring. Check for several hours after anchoring to find unwanted movement, usually with two-to-three-knot reversing currents. But then one needs to sleep overnight. Fortunately, the bottoms here in the San Francisco estuary consist mostly of heavy/sticky mud.

Last edited:
Just to be contrary and accurate. If you want to save a few bucks get the Manson I did own one and it worked well for me. If you are a big spender get the best, Ultra and its shiny and no roll bar to boot. I took a Ronca off my boat and replaced it with the Ultra. Does it set and hold better than the Spades and Manson I have owned, its hard to say since in 15 years and four boats using spade type anchors never had a problem yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom