It’s Showtime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of you guys act like there's competent crew available on every marina park bench. I've heard more horror stories from "professional captains" with decades of sea experience about taking new crew members on a crossing. Their thinking every time was "having someone along was better than nothing, at least they'd have someone for wheel watch" too. 3 days out the previously known or unknown crew member turns into a bigger liability than a busted through hull.

There are certainly some bad ones, many bad ones. But there are quality crew members available as well. I know I'm spoiled in that regard living in Fort Lauderdale. But selection is critical.

The problem is as you go for quality the cost might be prohibitive for many.

So the group wisdom seems to be that because crew can be incompitant it is better to go alone.

Strange

I don't think there's any group opinion here. You're hearing from different individuals with differing opinions and may be placing more weight to one side than another. Both sides are being stated, but IMO the "don't go it alone" group is fewer in representation but a couple are repeating their already-stated positions more frequently.

Kinda reminds me of a protest rally where one side is greatly outnumbered, but the smaller side breaks out the megaphones to try to make their side heard.

Even the best trained and highly competent crew can falter at any given time...so can you. So while I respect the fact that the only person you start off trusting 100 percent is yourself...solo can degrade that performance to where a drunken monkey can be a better captain.

That said..I wholeheartedly agree that doing things solo can sometimes be something that borders on mystical...whether its the simple fact that you are stupid and cheating death...so be it. :thumb:

Plenty do it and rave about it. Anyone who poo poos it...well do it your way but you ain't the judge or jury for anyone else...unless there's an accident...then all bets off....:D

Life ain't perfect or risk free, you make your choices and accept your risks. For the obvious follow up replies to this post about hiring a licensed captain go ask Galaxy Girl how that worked out her first time. That guy came recommended from someone she trusted as a marine professional if I recall and that was just a hop down the Florida coast, not a crossing from Azores to Ireland.

GG was very lucky that situation did not lead to at least one dead person. Very lucky. They were only one break down away from having a drowned captain, a mom floating away in a boat and a bunch of kids stuck on a boat. :eek:

Life is risk but in the end we all are going to be end up dead.

I drive 75ish miles round trip to work on back roads and a highway. I would guess at least once a week I will have an idiot passing in a no passing zone and someone cross into the other lane of travel almost certainly dorking with their phone. One road has had around 10 accidents I know of where cars have just run off the road. :eek: In some cases, deer running on the road might have caused the accident but in others you could tell the cars simply drove off the road. :eek: The last accident I saw was a fatality when a car drove into the opposing traffic. No curve just a straight road and the person just crossed the line.

I would be much safer soloing like Richard did than driving to work.

Later,
Dan

Richard,

I finally made it through all of the posted videos and photos. Really nice. The videos really help put the viewer on board Dauntless.

Now, for the big question, did you declare your stowaway to customs? What did you do with the Monkey?

It's not completely accurate to say that Richard was alone on his trip to Ireland. :rofl:

Later,
Dan

GG was very lucky that situation did not lead to at least one dead person. Very lucky. They were only one break down away from having a drowned captain, a mom floating away in a boat and a bunch of kids stuck on a boat. :eek:

Life is risk but in the end we all are going to be end up dead.

I drive 75ish miles round trip to work on back roads and a highway. I would guess at least once a week I will have an idiot passing in a no passing zone and someone cross into the other lane of travel almost certainly dorking with their phone. One road has had around 10 accidents I know of where cars have just run off the road. :eek: In some cases, deer running on the road might have caused the accident but in others you could tell the cars simply drove off the road. :eek: The last accident I saw was a fatality when a car drove into the opposing traffic. No curve just a straight road and the person just crossed the line.

I would be much safer soloing like Richard did than driving to work.

Later,
Dan

She is very lucky on that. I don't know where she found that Captain or what the full story was, but it was certainly the kind of situation you don't like to see someone in, especially when their kids are involved.

We very seldom ever were on the roads after midnight but the couple of times we were in our previous home area we realized the danger was severe. That's where you get the line "Nothing good ever happens when you're out at 3 AM". When you see a car running well over 100 mph and weaving in and out or the other time two cars racing at well over 100 you consider yourself lucky to make it home. We did see one car run off the road by the first one but no one was hurt. Problem was by the time you saw them they were too far ahead to get a license number and by the time you dialed 911 and a patrolman responded they were long gone.

Then lest we forget there are other things far more risky to our health. One legal product that leads to far more deaths and is far more dangerous that anything Richard ever did. Just not immediate threat.

The down side,
Long story short,
I've read accounts of owners not realizing they had an incompetent crew member until they woke up with water in their cabin.

Many of you are assuming crew does what you expect them to do at any given moment.

I can find far more accounts of an action by a single crew member sinking a vessel or putting all on board at risk, then of single handers dying or worse.

Now, I've said that I would have preferred finding a crew mate, but to think that having a crew mate is always better than nothing, is simply not supported by the facts.

All well and good but it doesn't answer the questions. And my questions had nothing to do with whether it's better or not to have crew on a trip.

Nobody has said having any form of crew on board is better than having none at all. Nor is any one assuming crew always does the right thing 100% of the time any more than a captain or owner op. does. If I've got those statements wrong please raise your hand.

But since the discussion seems to have been deflected to the issue of crew, I have another couple of questions?

Do you have "Gumby" suits on board?

If you do, how fast can you get in one and over the side?

How fast can you get in one and over the side with your dominant arm tied behind your back?

How fast can you get in one and over the side with your dominant arm tied behind your back in the pitch dark in 15 foot seas?

I can find far more accounts of an action by a single crew member sinking a vessel or putting all on board at risk, then of single handers dying or worse.

Now, I've said that I would have preferred finding a crew mate, but to think that having a crew mate is always better than nothing, is simply not supported by the facts.

That is the exact thing I worried about for you. There's often a reason folks end up in "end of the world" spots. Sure, there are exceptions. But pick-up crew is seldom worth the price.

I'm sure there are exceptions. If you (insert name of TF poster-slash-expert) were selected, then for certain everything would have been fine and dandy. However none that were known to the Captain were available, thus he made the choice that seems from my perspective to be the wisest.

And of course it is natural to second guess or say what we would do in a similar situation.

Short story: Recently I had the option of crossing the Gulf of Mexico with crew or coastal hopping without. I opted to take the time to putter along the coast solo. So, one might consider that my endorsement of the Dauntless decision may be influenced by the fact that he did what I did -- went alone.

Perhaps my decision is tainting my opinion on his choice. In reflecting, I'm not certain myself. Given a qualified crew, that would have been "best" but I didn't have one.

And coastal along the Big Bend is an entirely different kettle of fish. I know that! :)

Richard,

My sincere congratulations on your crossing. If you get up to Dingle you'll find some great people and pubs. Love your blog. All the best. Great blog and pics.

Fair winds

When you get crew.. unless you have used them before you never know what you will get. We had friends years ago that were run over in the middle of the night when the crew was on watch.. they went from sleeping to swimming in 30 seconds.. the boat was crushed and split in two. They were all extremely fortunate to survive with minimal injury. They later wrote a book that I never read that I believe detailed what happened.. but the speculation at the time was the limited experienced crew fell asleep on watch.

When I do deliveries.. my sleep depends who is on watch. I have been aboard when a relative to the owner does a watch where I have slept with "one eye open" on the bridge when the relative does their watch.. I wouldn't of got any real sleep anyway in my cabin so I might as well be available if needed.

I still side with Richard and his decision to single hand.. he knew the risks and accepted them, and had a passage he will talk about for years.

HOLLYWOOD

Just read my sig. Crossed 3 times. Now hooked in Brazil.

Richard,

I finally made it through all of the posted videos and photos. Really nice. The videos really help put the viewer on board Dauntless.

Now, for the big question, did you declare your stowaway to customs? What did you do with the Monkey?

It's not completely accurate to say that Richard was alone on his trip to Ireland. :rofl:

Later,
Dan

Yes, the monkey got me thru the worst of it.:hide:

Now, back to the crew question.

I preferred to have another crew person, I didn't find anyone. I wasn't going to sit around, possibly have worse weather just to have another person.

and All I said was there were positives and negatives to every situation and to assume that a extra person is always a positive, is clearly wrong, as is the opposite.

And again, if you think it's just about finding the "right" :smitten:person, I agree that they are the "right" person until they aren't.:eek:

Now, where's that monkey:confused:

Are we beating that dead horse MORE??? Come on with it.....

Now for the single malt. Richard, have you tried any great Irish single malt?

Yeah, I keep asking. I keep asking and so far no answer.

That's a really cool trip, my avatar is of me going through a hurricane on the way to the Azores. I talked to my wife about doing something like this (many years down the road) and she's not opposed to it. It was a lot of fun reading this and I'm glad everything turned out ok. Safe sailing!

That's a really cool trip, my avatar is of me going through a hurricane on the way to the Azores. I talked to my wife about doing something like this (many years down the road) and she's not opposed to it. It was a lot of fun reading this and I'm glad everything turned out ok. Safe sailing!

Over time I've been meaning to ask about your avatar. I've dented (caved in) a few containers in conditions like that.

A few years ago, some poor sailor asked the question on Cruiser Forum, I think, about crossing the north Atlantic in January.

Someone responded with a link to a video showing a tanker? being totally awash, almost submerged, pretty much constantly.

A really cool video.

I told myself Don't Do That and was totally dismissive of the guy.

My goal today is to finish writing the blog about the trip. I even have a regret, that I did not take more time to experiment with course and speed, in the heavy seas.

Maybe we could start a thread related to incidents of heavy weather and seas. We'd post just the facts, ma'am, trying to keep it as objective and informative as possible.

Maybe we could start a thread related to incidents of heavy weather and seas. We'd post just the facts, ma'am, trying to keep it as objective and informative as possible.

Richard - I look forward to that thread! - Cheers, Art

Richard,
I am curious as to how much fuel you actually had left when you arrived.

Yea crossing the North Atlantic in the winter is madness! 15ft seas daily at minimum. I got the snot beat out of me on 285ft ship.

Reiziger,
Richard is in Ireland not Scotland so should imagine he is drinking Irish Whiskey of which there are plenty of different brands, single malt and pot and Guinness.
He will be well catered for.
Cheers
Benn

Benn,

There are many single malt Irish whiskeys. They are made the same as Scotch. The typical Irish whiskey has rye in the grain bill but single malt is only 100% barley no matter where it comes from.

Here are just a few.
Bushmills 16 Year Old (70cl, 40%)

The "Old Bushmills" Distillery Company
A 16 year old Irish single malt from Bushmills aged in three different cask types: bourbon, port and sherry. The result is a beautiful whiskey which was awarded Gold at the 2010 San Francisco World... More info

Tyrconnell Irish Whiskey (70cl, 40%)

Cooley
A single malt Irish whiskey from the Cooley distillery, Tyrconnell is incredibly creamy and smooth. More info

Connemara Peated (70cl, 40%)

Cooley
Connemara produce a peated Irish single malt, named for the area in Ireland. More info

There are many more and in fact, they rival the Scottish whiskeys.

Yea crossing the North Atlantic in the winter is madness! 15ft seas daily at minimum. I got the snot beat out of me on 285ft ship.

As part of my weather edimication, I started watching the weather charts in the N Atlantic and N Pacific early this past winter. Now, I "knew" that the lows at the higher latitudes were pretty nasty but seeing the size of some of those storms is an education in itself. No way would I want to be out there in one of those storms. 285 feet of ship is not big enough. :)

I saw some lows this past winter that took up much of the N. Atlantic with strong winds and waves predicted, key word, at 6-7 meters. Those waves are the AVERAGE tallest waves so there would be much larger waves from time to time depending on fetch distance and age of the storm.

Here is a video of a 700+ foot long container ship in the North Atlantic taking 30-44 degree rolls. :eek:

Containership Taking 40 Degree Roll in North Atlantic [WATCH] - gCaptain Maritime & Offshore News

Later,
Dan

Those seas are madness on steroids. Not for me. I've been there and now I'm a fair weather sailor. :hide:

Those seas are madness on steroids. Not for me. I've been there and now I'm a fair weather sailor. :hide:

Might be fun strapped into a CG rescue boat that can do 180's and self-right, coming up correctly... still running every time... for about 40 minute timespan tops that is! - LOL

I've written a whole new post, but it's on my computer.

I'm having a beer, it's cheaper than wine, and one of my points in the post, is that one must adapt.
Probably should have had a Guinness.
I'm tied to a fishing boat, third one out.

I did a masterful job, after almost making a f... ing mess of it, by thinking I was giving it full rt rudder when it was to port.

Almost t boned the fv.

Gotta go.
Battery dying and then I won't have anything to read.

The Pot Boils

I posted this on my blog, but you guys deserve the first look too.
Also, videos are linked in the blog and I will be adding everyting to dauntless.smugmug.com

The Pot Boils

Its midnight, and I see that the starboard Racor is full of crap, I switch to the Port Racor and return to the pilot house to contemplate my next moves.
The wind had stayed steady at SW at 30 kts. I was getting used to the roll, 20° in one direction, 30° in the other, certainly the biggest rolls I’ve ever seen since having the paravanes. I needed to sleep. I reasoned that the engine was running, the Racor had done its job, and by switching to the new Racor, I reckoned it should last at worst till morning, but more than likely till my destination, only 25 hours away.

I must have gotten pretty good rest, as there are no log entries from midnight, when I switched to port Racor until 07:00 when I recorded our position and noted, “Last night for a while” . I was ready for this to end, but, like March, it was going to go out like a lion. My roll “telltale” had the biggest roll to one side overnight as 23° Not so bad. I decided to use this relatively quiet period to change the Racors and FP filters, all three.
At 7:20, I wrote in the log 7:20, with nothing else. I must have been tired, but I assume that’s when I went to change Racors, as next log entry was at 08:10 when I wrote underway again, changed all 3 Racors. The key there was underway again.

Usually I can now change all three in 15 minutes with the engine running. This took 40, as we had some drama. FP filter and right side filter were done quickly, but in priming the filter, the shenanigans began. When I first turned on fuel pump to prime right side filter, nothing happened, because it was turned off, remember I was running on left side filter. Now in hindsight, I see what I should have done, but if wishes were horses, …

But instead I opened the two valves around pump, leaving the third one open. In this configuration, the fuel pump is pumping fuel, but only in a little circle, while it laughs at me for giving it such easy work. Ok, got it, switch to right filter, close gravity feed, prime filter, it’s done and engine is still running. Pump off, gravity feed on.

Now to the left side filter. Drain, open, remove old filter, new in, all in one minute, now to prime, change engine to this filter as I turn on pump, but gravity feed is still open. So nothing happens in filter and it doesn’t fill. Engine starts to slow down, I know I only have seconds left to solve this before I kill engine in 10 foot seas.

As I turn the red handle of the gravity feed to off, so pump can fill filter and feed engine, the engine dies.

Crap. I vowed never to let this happen and it does. OK. Now being alone is a PIA, as I must leave engine room to start engine. I figure, OK, at least I can now take my time and finish job. I prime filter, turn off pump, close valves and scamper up stairs to salon and the pilot house.

Start engine. It sounds so sweet as it runs for about 10 seconds and then dies. Walk, Don’t Run, back to engine room, sit next to engine, what did I do wrong?

I have it! I let air get to engine mounted fuel filters (there are two in series right after the mechanical lift pump (fuel pump that “lifts” fuel from near bottom of engine to top of engine). The BIG lesson here is ALWAYS check simplest solutions first. (At times, I think I don’t check the simple solution first, because it can’t be that easy.)

So, all I need to do is bleed these engine mounted filters. Easy, the box end wrench is hanging right here just for this occasion (all the wrenches needed for all these jobs are hanging right there). I loosen both bleed screws (yes, book says one at a time, but I’m in a hurry).

Turn on pump, nothing. Look frantically around. See all three valves are closed, duh, open the two for the pump and turn on switch, as at that same moment, I realize I did not have to open bleed screws as all three valves were closed, in other words, nothing was open for the engine.

In the one second for that realization to hit home, the fuel is getting to the bleed screws and spraying fuel all over the hot engine. I turn off pump, reset all valves to their correct positons and get my oil soak cloths and start wiping away. I’m not that concerned, because I have not found any place on the top of the engine that is ever above 200°F and besides, if you think this is the first time I’ve done fiasco, you have another think coming.

I wipe down everything, also Racors, where I made a mess thinking they were the problem and finally at 8:19 I’m up at the wheel starting the engine again. This time it starts running, but clearly not well, but I also recognize this and know that with a little throttle, all will be fine in 20 seconds.
I’m underway again at 8:20.

Interestingly enough, even with the waves and seas, I did not seem to notice how well the Krogen handled sitting in the middle of the ocean bobbin away. Too much in crisis mode and not observation mode I suppose.

Three hours later, I check the fuel filters again and am dismayed at the amount of crap the filters are picking up, I change the FP and the port filter again. This time with no drama.

A new issue, the bilge pump has gone off 250 times in the last 24 hours. Usually it goes off 10 times, in rough weather maybe 20 to 30 times, if my stuffing box is really leaking, I’ve seen 180 times, but never this many. Now the rolling had increased to almost 20° and 30° in each direction, a delta of 50° (certainly a new record for me) and the decks were wet with water flooding in the scuppers, with the starboard deck sometimes having water flood over the cap rail (another first for me).

There are no obvious leaks anywhere either in the engine room or in the cabin, so I decide not to worry about it, since there is no obvious solution. Like the Racors, the bilge pump is doing its job.

A couple of hours later, the last act of this drama. I hear a thump, not loud, look to port and see no paravanes pole. Bad. Engine at idle and neutral, I find the top of the pole near the stern of the boat, being held there by its foreguy.

It takes me half an hour to get it out of the water and tied to the fly deck, because I have to run all over the place, loosen that line, pull here, tighten that line, pull there. Three times I have to come off the fly bridge just to rotate the pole that is hung up on the rub rail.

Also, with all the adrenaline surging thru my veins, I did not really notice how well dauntless was behaving just bobbin up and down, with really not much roll.

So I tried running without the paravanes out. My course was due north, and the winds and seas were from the southwest to west. At this point I was going to Ireland or else. Having people meeting me there was really encouraging at this point I did not want to go anywhere else.

Therefore the course we had was the course we were going to travel. Without paravanes out, it was the Dauntless of old and this course was not possible. Umm, the boat would have been fine, but not me.

So, I put the starboard pole and bird back out, not bad, not bad at all I think, but as time passed, I realized the starboard side was taking water over the rail almost constantly, since when D rolled to the right, the roll was deeper without the port bird to slow it down, but then the boat stayed longer in the starboard heeled position, allowing the next wave to essentially push Dauntless into the side of the wave as it rolled under the boat. At one point, I had two feet of water sloshing around the cockpit and side deck.

That wasn’t going to work either. I then returned to the fly bridge, to untie the bird from the top of the pole. I spent way too much time doing that and in the meantime, this caused my scariest moment of the entire passage to date. The boat underway was rolling a lot. It did not occur to me to stop the boat because my little brain was more afraid of broaching than anything else. Now you are thinking, didn’t he just talk about how little the boat rolled lying a hull, just in the paragraph above?

And the answer is YES, of course I did. But at the time, doing something and reflecting on it are two different actions, but pretty much no learning takes place without that reflection. I was too much in crisis mode to reflect on anything. So with me up on the fly bridge, I’m really seeing how big these waves are. Some are clearly at my eye level, maybe 16 feet above sea level. And they are hitting the boat on its beam. The first time the boat rolled and I’m hanging on for dear life up there, I was a bit nervous. It felt like we were over 80°, by telltale later told me it was only 38°

But again, once me and D had survived the first roll, I realized it wasn’t that bad, in fact, I just stayed seated on the port bench, bracing myself with my foot on the helm chair, as the boat rolled.

Finally I get the knot undone and I decide to throw the fish in the water with 18’ of line, tied in the amidships cleat, figuring it could not get back to the prop or rudder and it was better than nothing.

It was better than nothing. Even though an hour later, on hearing a thumping noise, and not being able to pin point it, I actually convinced myself it was the bird hitting the boat (it wasn’t) but proceeded to stop the boat, then pull this bird back out of the water, shorten the line another two feet and finally, throw it back in the water (this is actually an abbreviated account. I did a few other things, but you had to be there to understand).
Finally I told myself to get a grip and proceeded to find the wine bottle that was rolling under the desk in the second cabin thunking the wall every 30 seconds, which is exactly what I thought it was an hour before.

I had no log entries between 14:00 when I threw the bird back in the water and 01:00 the following morning when I was passing Mizen Head light house.
I did record the rolling though, for those 11 hours, the boat was rolling a delta of 24°, 36° and a whopping 61° (23+38) every so often.

That afternoon, I was wedged on the bench, playing hearts, trying to keep my mind off the sea state, the waves, and the fuel.

As evening turned to night, it was very dark, the winds were 30 knots gusting to 45 out of the due west. The waves were above 16 feet so I spent most of that time lying on the bench with my head to the port side, so I did not feel like I was standing on my head. The worst part was as the boat would be heeled far over, it was stay there a bit and then since it’s dark, the next wave hits suddenly with a big bang on the exposed starboard hull, pushing us further into the side of the wave.:eek:

Even now, it’s hard to describe my feelings. I was certainly miserable, but not really afraid. The roller coaster is probably the best analogy in that is still makes us afraid, even though we know it can not fly off the tracks. I was afraid to go to sleep. Rocky land was only 15 to 20 miles away and even though it would take hours to get there, countless boats have come to grief so near their final destination, I was not going to let that happen to me.
But Monkey Son still had that smile on his face, so I knew it would be OK.
And it was, I had carefully planned my route using both Coastal Explorer and my Navionics app on my phone, as Navionics showed the lighthouse range colors better.

Karel had given me really clear instructions, so when I saw people standing on the dock at 01:40 in the morning of August 29th, 2014, I knew our Atlantic Passage was over.:D

Back
Top Bottom