Paint Conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troubadour

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TRAVELLER
Vessel Make
42' CHB Present
Anyone familiar with the differences between Linear Polyurethane (LPU) paint and Aliphatic Polyurethane Paint. I'm preparing a takeoff for repainting the CHB and have talked with PPG about using their Aliphatic paint instead of Awlgrip. Apparently the US Navy loves the stuff. If comparable I could cut my material costs by 50%. Please advise. Thanks:thumb:

Interlux Perfection, good stuff. Labor and prep materials are the biggest expense on a job like this, don't be tempted.

I used Perfection on my last boat (on Chesapeake Bay) and had major issues with moisture. Granted, I was applying a dark color (flag blue) over a white hull. Perfection is very intolerant of moisture and temperature. Surface temp has to stay at least 5 deg above dew point or you are in for a world of hurt. I had to re-sand the entire hull twice because of white moisture haze......can't wait to see what will happen in Florida.....at least we are staying with the original White color. Maybe I should consider using Imron or one of the other coatings used on Semi's.

I've had great success using clear perfection on brightwork....applied three coats to bare teak and then 4 coats of Epiphanes. Never have to sand to bare wood again...scuff sand once a year and apply a couple of coats of varnish. I digress.....blowboater coming out in me.

Last edited:
Yeah, moisture (humidity) burned me too, but you put it on right, in the right conditions it is hard to beat.

Last edited:
The consensus I hear from the yards and captains around me is still overwhelmingly Awlgrip. Maybe just because they know it better, but still. Now we have Alexseal ourselves and are pleased with it but our builder has used it for years and years. Awlgrip did have some significant issues around 2010 with the formula changes but they all seem resolved now.

As to others, I hear some enthusiastic and some saying absolutely no. With the amount of time and labor involved and the risks of disappointment I'd be very reluctant to go outside the mainstream.

Interlux, Algrip, Ford, Chevrolet, cum sau...two peas in a pod, but this new water based paint....again...hummmmmm

My experience is Awlgrip has been losing favor for well over a decade now.

The biggest reason was touchup issues from pro painters I talked to.

My experience is Awlgrip has been losing favor for well over a decade now.

The biggest reason was touchup issues from pro painters I talked to.

I was very surprised when Hatteras changed from Awlgrip to Alexseal. Now it may well have been an economic move but previously Awlgrip was an often used selling point for them.

The key words...used to be....

I am using Dupont Imron on my 45 Bluewater

The pain guy here at the marina I stay at preferred Imron because of it's touch up properties...I would say that the last decade brought forth several paint systems that have equaled or exceeded Awlgip and it's always nice to hear they are getting better and better.

Interlux, Algrip, Ford, Chevrolet, cum sau...two peas in a pod, but this new water based paint....again...hummmmmm
According to System Three, one of the biggest markets they have for the clear is basketball courts because it holds up as well as the solvent based two part systems they had used before. I'm satisfied based on my experience that the solid colors have equivalent or similar UV resistance to Awlgrip. In fact, I can see more signs of oxidation on surfaces I used Awlgrip on than the System Three. YMMV.

Not familiar with System Three....can it be Rolled and Tipped? Are there different thinners for spray and brush (Roll&Tip)? Does it have the same flow characteristics of solvent based paints? Imron sounds like a viable alternative also....I have a friend that works for VOLVO Trucks NA in VA and they love Imron. Easy touch up and superior gloss longevity. I'll check out the System Three website..thanks MULE/DEPHIN.

Besides cost , one big hassle with Awlgrip is the breathing air protection needed for the spraying folks.

Not familiar with System Three....can it be Rolled and Tipped? Are there different thinners for spray and brush (Roll&Tip)? Does it have the same flow characteristics of solvent based paints? Imron sounds like a viable alternative also....I have a friend that works for VOLVO Trucks NA in VA and they love Imron. Easy touch up and superior gloss longevity. I'll check out the System Three website..thanks MULE/DEPHIN.
It can be rolled and tipped, but as I noted in the thread Mule referenced, I think it is a bit more finicky that solvent based paint. Comparing it to solvent based paints - it would spray about the same, but because of the different solvents available for Awlgrip et al compared to only water for this product, your application bandwidth as far as conditions go will be a lot narrower.

The primer can be thinned with either water or denatured alcohol. What impressed me was its gloss retention after 7 years exposed to the elements with nothing but a wash down every year or so, as you can see from the picture. Still looks the same after that time. On durability, I can only go on what Systems Three tells me since the piece I experimented with gets no traffic - just lots of seagull poop.

A quality shop painted everything above the rub rail on my Albin-25 with PPG last winter. Fine job, with just a bit of the gloss knocked down by flattening agent. They like the "higher build" than they get with Algrip. They primed first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom