psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbangi View Post
Caltexflanc,

I fully agree with you (and also agree its inordinately difficult to replicate real life conditions). I was not trying to be critical. I think you successfully demonstrate the weakness of anchor testing.

To me there are a number of worst case scenarios but up near the top is, will my anchor hold in the forecast storm (so does it have the holding capacity), will my anchor hold when the wind swings through a sudden 180 degrees when that tropical thunderstorm passes overhead (so if it pulls out - will it re-set) and will my anchor hold (in any case) in the cross section of seabeds I am likely to encounter.

Fortress have looked on part of this, will my anchor hold - in this case - in soft mud. Their tests, and they did the same in the early 90's, are the only tests in soft mud. Sadly there are a few more seabeds to look at, then we need add 180 degree wind shifts.

Its so easy to be critical of Fortress but I do not see it as being too helpful. If we suggest anchor testing, as has been done by Fortress and others in the past, is a waste of time and then strip the results of those tests out of the media I think you will find we have no data at all. That is apart from individual personal experiences - all of which are correct but do not compare to the wealth of information that is actually available (based on anchor tests many think are useless). Most would never have bought their Spade, Rocna, Supreme, Excel etc if there had been no anchor tests - and the controversy they develop.

But as we are inevitably to have anchor tests - its marketing - lets have tests that we might agree with.
I don't believe that to be true..once a small cadre of well respected people bought, tried and had success with each one and reported it one way or another....more and more bought into each type and the rest is history.

Many things in the boating world are bought or done because of the "old salt" on the dock or the wise old yardmaster. Rarely do I hear of someone making their final decision on a "consumer reports like test" over real boater's experiences.

I'll bet at first quite a few anchors were almost given away to start the momentum. Sure tests got people curious...and excited about those initial finding...but I didn't nor did anyone I know run out and buy an anchor due to an anchor test.

Even more so...so many anchor tests have been so inconclusive that I would be amazed anyone of significant enough reputation to sway others into buying would have run out and bought a particular anchor because of one or several tests. Oh I'm sure some did...maybe a few here...but I bought mine only after KNOWING I needed to upgrade from what the PO had and years of reading and word of mouth about what was going on in the "cruisers" anchoring world.

I don't think anchor tests are bad or worthless...they are what they are...a tiny piece of a very large puzzle.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote