Boat Choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MYTraveler

Guru
A friend of mine is considering switching from his big go-fast sportfisher to a longer-range, slower but still fishable boat. That is a switch I made several years ago when going to my current boat. At that time, I came close to ordering a Nordhavn (twin engine, 62 foot I believe) but realized that I won't cross oceans and want a more fishable boat. I didn't want to sacrifice too much in offshore capabilities but have been satisfied with my boat. Longest run was 1200 nm (on less than 1/2 of my fuel) without going ashore (I did sea anchor a couple times).

Anyway, recognizing that every boat is a compromise, I am interested in the general consensus about the pros and cons of a Nordhavn vs a Flemming or OA (or a Mikelson for that matter, but their Nomad model is relatively unknown).

I think your boat fits his criteria perfectly. The others, other than N's so-called SF model, maybe, don't have fishing-ready cockpits other than for casual, small game use. I know a lot of higher end SF guys who go directly from Bahamas NC to Bermuda to Montauk to fish the tournaments, perhaps he'd be most happy with a NC custom boat set up for what he wants to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom