Old 09-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #52
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
Help me out, what do you mean by "dead heads"?

We're heading from Annapolis to Gulf of Mexico on Saturday, via ICW and OWW, and we're going to try and not hit ANYTHING. Too optimistic? We're new at this.

BTW, call Ralph or Dusty at Annapolis Landing Marina on Back Creek, Annapolis area...maybe they'll put you up in our empty slip.
I have transited the Dismal Swamp 3 times in the last 2 years and never touched bottom or hit anything larger than small branches. Draft is 4 feet.

There were trees down that blocked over half of the canal width, but still easily rounded. The lockmasters and park, rest stop people are very interested in floating dangers or downed trees and asked me specifically where they were as if sending someone out pretty quick to fix.

We travel the swamp route in December and early April so we seem to be travelling with very light company...2X we were the only boat in the canal for the day. So I think we see a lot more "stuff" in the canal than many...but with my single engine and no near disasters yet...and really nothing that was any worse than the other ICW canal sections...it is by far my preferred route.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote