How many bedrooms are required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My previous boat was a sedan type and had a bow owner SR. I always admired boats with aft OSR - so when I switched boats, that was a consideration and ended up with a GB36C, an aft-cabin boat.

Now, I very much miss the sedan layout, where the cockpit is, in a way, part of the saloon. It's nice when someone in the saloon could have a conversation with someone in the cockpit. It is also easier to go from the cockpit to the galley making important refills easier. Also missed greatly, is the ability to open a transom door and just step out into the swimstep then to the dinghy.

I would love to own a sedan type again. But this time, I would like the OSR to be midship, maybe under a raised pilothouse. Dreams are free.:)

It was for this very reason my wife demanded a sedan with aft cockpit, (although I was thinking tri-cabin up till then, but for us she was right), so we just waited and kept looking until we found one. However, we were limited to a 34 ft boat, but the saloon can sleep 4 if needed.

Fortunately, we don't mind a bit of wave slap, I find it soothing and reminds me we are actually on the water. Over our last Easter period when we were out, it was so calm at night it was eerie. No wavelets slapping - not even a gurgle occasionally.

I do admit to envying those with a queen double up front, and yes, if one could afford the larger boat, the bow and mid-ships staterooms, with full queen under the pilothouse would be ideal. But I would never sacrifice that roomy aft cockpit. Not for anything.

One of the reason people go to flush deck MY's or "sundeck" boats is for the larger aft outdoor living space on the same level as the salon. The aft deck, which could be quite open to the fresh air, or enclosed in bad weather, is by far the most-used "room" on our old Hatteras and its many siblings, as it is on most of the sundeck boats we've seen. Great for entertaining. This allows a nice square aft MSR. If length is no issue, get one with a cockpit too. Hatteras for instance offered them with or without, so did some models of Defever, such as the 44/ 44+5.

We can entertain 8, sleep 5, and more if needed on settees which are are very comfortable.

You mention never having used the second stateroom when you had one, so a one-stateroom boat should be fine. That said, I would also consider resale when making the choice. If a boat is 35' or less, I don't think prospective buyers will mind so much a one-stateroom boat - but if bigger, I think they would like to see more than just one stateroom. I know I would.

Depending upon how long you intend to keep the vessel, if it is long term I would not be at all concerned with the next owner. This boat is for you (N4061) so make her yours.

Because guests were not a factor previously N4061, I doubt you'll suddenly switch into being boat-overnight-host-of-the-year. It's not in you so go with what pleases you most.

Really, it depends on your needs, not somebody else's needs. If you often have more than two people aboard you would want sleeping quarters for them. That might mean buying a larger boat.

When it is an occasional guest, I see no need to go to extraordinary lengths. I am of course presuming any guest coming to the boat is there to see YOU, and not because you provide spectacular overnight accommodations.

Even on Seaweed I've had overnight guests -- albeit other boaters so the standard is a bit lower mind you than those familiar with the Ritz. The dinette lowers and the cushions move around. Not perfect but then again, it's good enough.

In my view of course.

Mother always used to say "The ideal boat sleeps two, feeds four and drinks six." She was right.

However N4061, if your better half wants that spare cabin for any reason you must remember just one thing Jeff Allen says: "Happy wife, happy life."

Good luck.

To not worry about resale on what I assume to be a high six-figure to maybe even seven figures is too rich for my comprehension regardless of how long the boat is kept. Unless one is very wealthy which the OP here has mentioned in the past more than once that he isn't.

One of the reason people go to flush deck MY's or "sundeck" boats is for the larger aft outdoor living space on the same level as the salon. The aft deck, which could be quite open to the fresh air, or enclosed in bad weather, is by far the most-used "room" on our old Hatteras and its many siblings, as it is on most of the sundeck boats we've seen. Great for entertaining. This allows a nice square aft MSR. If length is no issue, get one with a cockpit too. Hatteras for instance offered them with or without, so did some models of Defever, such as the 44/ 44+5.

I have to agree George. The main reason for us getting the Californian is because of the aft deck. I was really looking for something no bigger than 45 tops but once the admiral saw the massive back deck and how roomy the salon was there was no going back.

We have slept eight on our boat one weekend, I can accommodate 10 if I drop the dinette, more if they want to sleep on the bridge or aft deck. I don't think I would do that for more than one night though. Four is extremely comfortable and if we have 6, each couple has a stateroom and their own head.

I'm not so sure the single stateroom is a resale killer or even negative. He's not the only one who that might fit and while many would say no to it, then it might be the boat to excite another buyer. We lived in NC and everyone said, no home without 3 bedrooms will sell. Well, we bought a home on the lake, Turned it from 3 bedrooms to 2, enlarging the master suite significantly and enlarging the bath and closets. When we got ready to sell it, in a down market, we had an offer within 3 days of listing and a backup offer as well. The first offer did go through and we closed in less than 30 days. They loved the huge master and had no use for a third bedroom.

A single stateroom 40'er would be our ideal boat, but we are decidedly minimalist by nature. I would assume a single stateroom vessel would have copious amounts of proper storage. We will also downsize house soon too a custom built 2 bedroom and no more than 1,000 square feet perhaps offering insight behind our choices.

Janice really nailed it though, if you haven't used your second stateroom for guests to this point don't expect to suddenly start now. The whole point of a new build is to get the exact boat you want.

Some great debate, thanks. For those who disagree with a one bedroom concept I will counter with a design that does take into consider the "less than 10% of the time" when we may have an overnight guest and "resale". The salon on the boat is an open design and large (within perspective) with galley. We have a day head off the salon which allows for the guests who would sleep on the very large sofa (playpen when ottomans are added) to have complete privacy to their own head. The pilothouse separates the guests from the OSR. In my simple opinion it is the maximum use of limited space aboard a boat. One can even add a curtain around the sofa area and day head for maximum privacy.

OK, I'm ready for the comments!

John

Some great debate, thanks. For those who disagree with a one bedroom concept I will counter with a design that does take into consider the "less than 10% of the time" when we may have an overnight guest and "resale". The salon on the boat is an open design and large (within perspective) with galley. We have a day head off the salon which allows for the guests who would sleep on the very large sofa (playpen when ottomans are added) to have complete privacy to their own head. The pilothouse separates the guests from the OSR. In my simple opinion it is the maximum use of limited space aboard a boat. One can even add a curtain around the sofa area and day head for maximum privacy.

OK, I'm ready for the comments!

John

Love it.

Sounds like it meets your purposes very well. I do believe in buying or building to one's own needs, not that of others. In every boat we've looked at where they was a choice of x staterooms or x+1 (regardless of whether x is 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5), we've always liked the fewer staterooms better. The main place people seem to just put as many staterooms as possible is charter boats. Charterers always go for as many as possible.

Our's bigger than most all - sleeps 14, five heads and parties 50

When we had out 36' Euro sedan style trawler our kids were still at home. We had two small sleeping areas. I drew up plans for when they had left the nest. It had one large stateroom forward with a center line queen sized berth. The head was fine as it had a shower tub combination. It gave us room for large hanging locker and scads of drawer storage. Also there was a desk. I had a retired Chris-Craft factory woodworker that was going to do the conversion for me. It would have been beautiful. We sold the boat, but the plans are still around here somewhere.

Last edited:
I like having an extra bead rooms for guest. Boat has 3 bead rooms although one is two single bunks, the couch in the salon converts to a double. The boat is always full after home football games; we have slept 8 with no one on the floor. We just had twin granddaughters and expect to sleep 10 soon.

The Resort 35 is a charterers delight. From memory, 3 sleeping cabins (staterooms they are not)and accommodation in the saloon & dining area. 2 heads.
Charter coys claim they "sleep 10", hopefully good friends at the start; at the end, who knows? Somehow, they has a remarkably spacious cockpit too, plus a decent FB.

A single stateroom 40'er would be our ideal boat, but we are decidedly minimalist by nature. I would assume a single stateroom vessel would have copious amounts of proper storage.

Unfortunately, I think builders feel forced to meet what they perceive as market demand: 472 stateroom, in a 12' boat. The result means access to systems gets tighter and tighter... until it actually reaches the point where it sucks.

Our 42 would make a great single-stateroom boat. That certainly would have been the option we would have chosen, if offered.

But all the originals were two staterooms, plus separate head and shower. No optional layouts. The more current models still have two stateroom, but now two (wet) heads. Yuck.

But I think they're looking at a different market than me.

-Chris

On our Jefferson 45 we have a queen aft with walk around with lots of storage with shower and head. Main saloon with two comfortable recliners with the Gally down and a drop table that would only sleep a child( not happening). Forward v bunks with head. When we do have guest they can not sleep because of wave noise, no noise in aft cabin.We are living aboard full time now ,and have access to a apt here at Harbor C ay Club so guest can rent a room. Get the boat you want with what you need and want the guest will deal with what you got. 6 for happy hour 4 for dinner 2 for sleeping .

>Unfortunately, I think builders feel forced to meet what they perceive as market demand: 472 stateroom, in a 12' boat.<

Actually builders love bunks , not much is simpler to build or at lower cost.

The mistake I usually see is because of DREAMS the family might visit all at once the vessel has to hold an army.

This usually leads to a boat that frightens the owners as its too much to handle , and very expensive to operate , repair and simply maintain.

So it ends up a dockside cottage, and dreams of cruising never are fulfilled.

Last edited:
We have two cabins, two heads. The second cabin had bunk beds but the PO cut the top one back to a bookshelf and the lower bunk is like a super twin. We expect my mother in law to cruise with us sometimes and this will work perfect. If another couple joins us they will likely sleep in the saloon. We will have a curtain that closes off the saloon from the galley, helm and forward cabins and heads.

my mother in law cruises with us - in the dingy.

Fortunatley my MIL and I get along very well. If she'd only stop trying to feed me! Apparently I look emmaciated to her so the food comes non-stop.

Definitely buy the boat that fits your needs and wants . Don't worry about the resale and sacrifice your comfort and lifestyle. With the costs I f new boats the resale shouldn't be an issue if you take good care it.

IMO you need to look at enough boats so that you will never get on a similar class boat and say you wish you had seen that one before you bought

IMO you need to look at enough boats so that you will never get on a similar class boat and say you wish you had seen that one before you bought

Great advice and it is free to look!

Input on Post

As usual I'm happy to see our post resulted in some good discussion and of course strong opinions. Even with all the great input including a few concerns on resale we plan to stay the course and build this boat for us and not worry so much on resale. The boat is just small enough though pushing it when you consider the LOA (under 44') that some will see the benefits of our choice when the time comes to sell (hopefully not within 8 years). I'm sure this will comment will generate some additional opinions so let them come.

We visited the Newport Beach Boat Show over the weekend and was pleased see a few more boats and a great turn out. Our favorite boats were the new Nordhavn 76 and new Hinckley 50'. Two totally different boats but wow! Reports from the Seattle Boat Show was similar, hopefully the market is turning around for the best.

As usual I'm happy to see our post resulted in some good discussion and of course strong opinions. Even with all the great input including a few concerns on resale we plan to stay the course and build this boat for us and not worry so much on resale. The boat is just small enough though pushing it when you consider the LOA (under 44') that some will see the benefits of our choice when the time comes to sell (hopefully not within 8 years). I'm sure this will comment will generate some additional opinions so let them come.

We visited the Newport Beach Boat Show over the weekend and was pleased see a few more boats and a great turn out. Our favorite boats were the new Nordhavn 76 and new Hinckley 50'. Two totally different boats but wow! Reports from the Seattle Boat Show was similar, hopefully the market is turning around for the best.

As always when time to resell comes around there will be some who won't consider it because it doesn't have the extra bedroom. But then there will be that one couple that says, "Thank goodness a boat with decent stateroom for us and not wasting the space for bedrooms we'll never use."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom