Crab pots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have that problem with lobster pots here in So Cal. They always set them just outside the LA light too which is stupid.

They call them ghost traps in the Maine lobster fishery. A definite problem.

Greetings,
Can't remember where but some fishery made it law that there must be a section of trap that would degrade/rot after a period of time allowing the lobster to easily exit if "trapped" minimizing the proliferation of ghost traps.

That is a great idea FF. I am concerned about the crabs and lobster.

What about a similar application to all container ship containers. Things with trapped air, will not sink, cannot see them, take you out...quick, even at 6 knots. I am even more concerned about my sorry as$...

"Greetings,
Can't remember where but some fishery made it law that there must be a section of trap that would degrade/rot after a period of time allowing the lobster to easily exit if "trapped" minimizing the proliferation of ghost traps."

I had five stone crab traps a few years ago. They are made of plastic but they have one opening that must be covered with a piece of wood. It is a law at least in Florida. I used very thin soft wood.

Here in CA the lobster traps are open at the top. The bugs walk in and eat, if you don't pull when they are eating, you lose. This way all traps left overnight are empty when found.

CA crab pots are required to have a door secured with something like a piece of string which will rot allowing the crabs to escape if the pot is not retrieved.

How do you avoid the d**n things when you can't see the line.I know using judgement along with the locating float/bouy and wind direction. Doesn't some of those things string together with the lines hanging just under the surface?Maybe I am getting cornfused with nets.

I run dive charters. When we find ghost pots for lobster or fish, we open the door on the trap and fasten it permanently open. The trap then becomes an artificial reef providing structure for smaller fish to hide in. The amount of dead fish we find in ghost pots is truly tragic! Occasionally, we find ghost pots with live lobsters inside. Not eveyone who helps you out of the trouble you are in is your friend. :)

Ted

I would say it would be a supper opportunity:rolleyes:!

Doesn't some of those things string together with the lines hanging just under the surface?Maybe I am getting cornfused with nets.

Sounds like trot lines. Used to run over those things on the rivers in Alabama. Small line would just get cut by the prop, heavier lines would make a mess. For funzies we would pull the line in and relieve the fisherman of any catch.

Yeah....I thought about the short lifespan of trot-line thieves. I will admit I cut dead many an illegal gill net in Galveston area. Little different. Sninefelt episode about crab trap thieves ....Cramer....no not shrinkage..:lol:.the other one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom