View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #243
Anchor Brian

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The Delta and the CQR were weak at the end of the pull and I wonder if scope had anything to do with it.
Eric, Bob Taylor (US Navy guy) reviewed the results and he has a formula that calculates the pull angle as it relates to the anchor rode used and the holding power the anchor achieved, and he determined that the pull angle from the decreasing scope was very minimal, particularly for the anchors that did not bury deeply and generate much resistance.

He sent me a detailed write up about this with some charts, and if I can ever figure it out and fully understand it, then I will post the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbangi View Post
Were you able to test any of the armoury of anchors you had at your disposal in smaller, or larger sizes?

Rather than buying one bigger anchor (than recommended by anchor makers) one might conclude carrying more than one anchor, of different designs, might be prudent?
Djbangi, during preliminary tests we tested a 32 lb FX-55, and for both preliminary and public tests, the 10 lb FX-16.

The FX-55 @ the 45° angle hit peaks of over 4,000 lbs during two tests and tripped the winch both times in the process, and the FX-16 averaged peaks of about 1,500 lbs during several pulls.

On the last day of public testing, the FX-16 took about 20 minutes to break out of the bottom after held to 1,600 lbs, and it came up with a granular type of mud, indicating that it was buried beneath the soft mud and oyster shells that we had seen previously, which was compacted on the better performing anchors.

I certainly think that carrying more than one anchor type is prudent, and that a Danforth-type should be part of the arsenal.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
FX-16.jpg   FX-16 mud.jpg  
Anchor Brian is offline   Reply With Quote