View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
Forkliftt
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Boy are these some great stories from experience. Our company is an "independent", and doesn't offer new forklifts. The major players (manufacturers) award the dealership to companies with the financial ability to put in several branches across the state and also expect a commitment to sell enough forklifts a year to keep them in business. In return for this, in almost all markets of the US, one dealer will probably handle at least a whole state with no other dealer of the same brand to compete with.
Having said all of that, our little company offers reconditioned forklifts and premium service. And we price ourselves in line with the dealerships. When I get a call from a potential customer for service work or a reconditioned forklift, and cost is one of his first questions, I have finally learned that it's usually best to move on. One of my favorite lines is, "well, we didn't go into business to be the cheapest in town. Now I can save you money on the owning and operating costs of your equipment, but it's a partnership and a commitment over time. Maybe you need to consider XXXX Forklifts. They are cheap. I have their number right here if you want it??"

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️