Economy and well built trawler, tight budget....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Running with the current? ouch.

At least that's what the fuel flow meter said when it was working and most Tolly owners around the 34' twin gassed says. About a gallon per mile covered

:speed boat: :speed boat: :speed boat:

We've a 1977 34' Tolly Tri Cabin; gasoline 350 cid 255 hp Mercruiser twins in excellent condition. Boat is well propped, clean bottom. Her one and only PO kept her alive and well, we do too!

These gas usage calcs were compiled by fill-up to fill-up gallons divided into miles traveled. Boat load usually 80% +/- fully stocked; averaged 2 to 4 passengers aboard.

These figures can only be used as averages. Notable increase/decrease happens depending on running with or against current. Strong current working with or against direction of travel can affect the two slower speed NMPG figures considerably; to lesser extent current affects the one higher speed NMPG figure.

- One engine on at 5 to 5.5 knots = 2.75 +/- nmpg
- Both engines used at 6.5 to 7 knots = 2 +/- nmpg (7.58 is math calced "hull speed")
- Twins pushing on full plane of 16 to 17 knots = 1 +/- nmpg

IMHO - Super well constructed and laid-out Tollycraft 34' tri cabin is simply a peach! With two separate staterooms, each with electric head and pressure shower wand, total of 5 person beds, and big salon to boot = NO problem accommodating 5 to 6 people. Usually it is just Linda and me... room galore. Sundeck atop master stateroom is big and comfortable. With that and fly bridge there is seating room for many - up to 10.

For build-quality, initial purchase-economy, resale-ability, ease of maintenance, general comfort, self contained livability, and sea kindliness... Good condition used Tollycraft boats stand tall. :thumb:

YRMV :D

Last edited:
Art you have yourself a winner winner. I went around the San Juans this last week, maybe traveled a total of 75 miles and burned about the same. It might be that I just have a couple of pigs. The carbs are probably needing attention...

:speed boat: :speed boat: :speed boat:

We've a 1977 34' Tolly Tri Cabin; gasoline 350 cid 255 hp Mercruiser twins in excellent condition. Boat is well propped, clean bottom. Her one and only PO kept her alive and well, we do too!

These gas usage calcs were compiled by fill-up to fill-up gallons divided into miles traveled. Boat load usually 80% +/- fully stocked; averaged 2 to 4 passengers aboard.

These figures can only be used as averages. Notable increase/decrease happens depending on running with or against current. Strong current working with or against direction of travel can affect the two slower speed NMPG figures considerably; to lesser extent current affects the one higher speed NMPG figure.

- One engine on at 5 to 5.5 knots = 2.75 +/- nmpg
- Both engines used at 6.5 to 7 knots = 2 +/- nmpg (7.58 is math calced "hull speed")
- Twins pushing on full plane of 16 to 17 knots = 1 +/- nmpg

IMHO - Super well constructed and laid-out Tollycraft 34' tri cabin is simply a peach! With two separate staterooms, each with electric head and pressure shower wand, total of 5 person beds, and big salon to boot = NO problem accommodating 5 to 6 people. Usually it is just Linda and me... room galore. Sundeck atop master stateroom is big and comfortable. With that and fly bridge there is seating room for many - up to 10.

For build-quality, initial purchase-economy, resale-ability, ease of maintenance, general comfort, self contained livability, and sea kindliness... Good condition used Tollycraft boats stand tall. :thumb:

YRMV :D

Hi Art,

Do Tollycraft have solid GRP hulls and decks?

Lovely looking boats; nearly 3 mpg at 5.5 kts isn't so bad with one engine.

Solid hulls and cored decks. Hulls are above average for their time period. Interior as well above average. Decks, just like any other cored need to be watched over. Really a good value for the size and quality of boat.

Solid hulls and cored decks. Hulls are above average for their time period. Interior as well above average. Decks, just like any other cored need to be watched over. Really a good value for the size and quality of boat.

I've been having a look on the i'net and they seem to be very realistically priced.

I don't mind petrol engines because here in Europe diesels have to use fully taxed fuel; so petrol works out at about the same price per gallon.

The nearest equivalent in the Uk is a Pincess 30ds, the Majority had petrol twins but some diesels as well.. US style Trawlers were never popular and haven't been available over here until very recently with the Swift trawler 34' and 44';
I think a couple of people on the forum have them.

Princess 30ds boats for sale - Buy and Sell online at Boatshop24

The big deal was the bench seating in the saloon; the helm seat folds down to extend the seating.

Last edited:
Hi Art,

Do Tollycraft have solid GRP hulls and decks?

Lovely looking boats; nearly 3 mpg at 5.5 kts isn't so bad with one engine.

Different years/models/size of Tollycraft had various mixes and compositions of materials for hulls, bottoms, stringers, transoms, decks, superstructure, interiors. That said: Tollycraft were built to very high standards. "Mr. Tolly" (Robert Merland Tollefson), cabinet maker and carpenter by trade, was stickler for all boat portions to meet his exacting standards.

My Rule of thumb: Tolly's early 70's to late 80's/early 90's are best bet. As long as owners paid an inkling of attention to fasteners in decks as well as other locations the material conditions usually remained sound. POs' correct maintenance on classic boats of any kind is of super importance.

If you want oodles of info on specific Tolly year/model it is best to join Tollycraft Boating Club Forum (it's free). Post question and there are usually many Tolly Gurus happy to provide answer. Tollycraft owners are near fanatical in their (our - lol) compassion/love for Tolly boats. I've been around the water for many years of life... pleasure boats, working boats, built in new boat factory and assisted shipwrights in boat yards restoring many brands of craft... I rank Tollycraft high-up on my list of great boat-builders.

Art - :popcorn:

Different years/models/size of Tollycraft had various mixes and compositions of materials for hulls, bottoms, stringers, transoms, decks, superstructure, interiors. That said: Tollycraft were built to very high standards. "Mr. Tolly" (Robert Merland Tollefson), cabinet maker and carpenter by trade, was stickler for all boat portions to meet his exacting standards.

My Rule of thumb: Tolly's early 70's to late 80's/early 90's are best bet. As long as owners paid an inkling of attention to fasteners in decks as well as other locations the material conditions usually remained sound. POs' correct maintenance on classic boats of any kind is of super importance.

If you want oodles of info on specific Tolly year/model it is best to join Tollycraft Boating Club Forum (it's free). Post question and there are usually many Tolly Gurus happy to provide answer. Tollycraft owners are near fanatical in their (our - lol) compassion/love for Tolly boats. I've been around the water for many years of life... pleasure boats, working boats, built in new boat factory and assisted shipwrights in boat yards restoring many brands of craft... I rank Tollycraft high-up on my list of great boat-builders.

Art - :popcorn:

Thanks Art.
I was looking at Mainships with all their deck issues and tank problems, but it looks like Tollycraft are the Rolls Royce equivalent.:)

Anyone know anything about this one?

1983 Island Gypsy Europa Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

She looks like she needs deck work. Wondering if shes in real rough shape and thats why she has sat on YW for a long time. The price seems fair but then again I haven't seen her up close.

Nice looking craft - With hull stated as fiberglass... why does the transom look so much like wood (see two picts in last several pictures) - fake laminate? Good luck! - Art

Last edited:
Nice looking craft - With hull stated as fiberglass... why does the transom look so much like wood (see two picts in last several pictures) - fake laminate? Good luck! - Art

Not fake laminate at all. More like solid teak planks on solid fiberglass. Almost all fiberglass GB's are done this way and IG's are built like GB's. I don't think IG built wood boats.

mahal,
How was the wood attached to the FG transom?

Not fake laminate at all. More like solid teak planks on solid fiberglass. Almost all fiberglass GB's are done this way and IG's are built like GB's. I don't think IG built wood boats.

You are correct except the last line. Halvorsen (Island Gypsy) started out building wood boats about 100 years ago.

Sorry - But I just gotta say... :popcorn:

For aesthetic purposes: That "fake" transom wood over fiberglass (to try and resemble a classic woody) is just a problem waiting to happen... not to mention greatly increased upkeep! :facepalm:

If it's for structural needs - then why was the fiberglass not constructed correctly to begin with? :eek:

Just the added weight is a BS proposition! :ermm:

YRMV! :D

You're just like me Art. You're jealous because you haven't got one of those magnificent Grand Banks Yachts.

You are correct except the last line. Halvorsen (Island Gypsy) started out building wood boats about 100 years ago.

I thought "Kong and Halverson" (Island Gypsy) was started in the mid 70's when Joseph Kong lost his job at American Marine in Hong Kong when AM was moving production to Singapore.

I thought "Kong and Halverson" (Island Gypsy) was started in the mid 70's when Joseph Kong lost his job at American Marine in Hong Kong when AM was moving production to Singapore.

You're likely right Mahal I recall the Halvorsen part of the story vaguely to be he started in Norway or somewhere close around late 18 early 1900's. He moved to Australia some time after that and even built a wooden Americas Cup contender once. I know they moved to the orient at some point. Quite an old company though.

I'm not sure, but remember reading that it was glued and screwed-on.

Reminds me of the derogatory saying about someone or something: "Feel like I just got glued, tattooed, and screwed!" Not a favorable comment... At All!! :lol:

You're just like me Art. You're jealous because you haven't got one of those magnificent Grand Banks Yachts.

Wise cracks will get you everywhere! :rofl:

For content you mention - I think not on both our parts. :thumb:

For aesthetic purposes: That "fake" transom wood over fiberglass (to try and resemble a classic woody) is just a problem waiting to happen... not to mention greatly increased upkeep! :facepalm:

If it's for structural needs - then why was the fiberglass not constructed correctly to begin with? :eek:

Some folks don't like the Clorox bottle look, so its an aesthetic thing. I think boats should look like.... well boats. :hide:

What ever that means. lol

No problem with mine at all. Yes on the extra maintenance (varnish) but someone else does that for me, so I don't sweat it.

In my opinion, varnished teak transoms look nice. Here are transom photos of a GB and of a Tolly for comparison sake.:rofl:
GB transom.jpg

tollycrat transom.jpg

No problem with mine at all. Yes on the extra maintenance (varnish) but someone else does that for me, so I don't sweat it.

In my opinion, varnished teak transoms look nice. Here are transom photos of a GB and of a Tolly for comparison sake.:rofl:
View attachment 32654

View attachment 32655

Unfair! Whistle blowing Ref calls penalty on picture provider!!!... for:

Placing an obviously untended OLD (1960's) Tolly (of glue-lam over plywood construction method) in comparison with recently varnished transom well tended by expensive hired help!

Ten fathom penalty! Same play starts over again.

:speed boat::speed boat::rofl:

Good one Mahal :)

I've always been a fan of the IG and GB butt bling myself. Can't be that much maintenance.

I love the classic lines of a GB, almost bought one. Next time or a KK42, time will tell.

Thanks for sharing the link on the 26'. I am going to take a look at it the next weekend. Really great layout and I have read through their last survey. Looks like a nice little cruiser. I also want to take a look at a Willard and CHB. I am open to either a trailerable boat or something much more economical w/ a diesel.

Back
Top Bottom