DirectTV subscription and installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
Ok, I am headed into uncharted territory for me and I am hoping you guys can help me.
We are headed into football season and I would like to watch some football at home and on my boat.
I have no current cable or directv at the moment in my boat or at home.
The boat has a sea king satellite dish and a dtv receiver with a card.

A couple of questions.

Can I take a DTV receiver from my house and plug it into the Sea King and watch DTV? (assuming the Seaking is working properly)

If I get a DTV receiver and a subscription from DTV I can get two receivers and sunday ticket for about $55 month for the first year. I would have to pay another 300 next year for the Sunday ticket.
I am hoping I can just take teh extra receiver from teh hosue and connect it to the boat and leave it there and I will also be able to watch the one at home.

Comments? I hope that is clear enough.
Thanks

You CAN do it, but while not breaking the terms of service agreement, you are bending it. People call it "tailgating" because it's common for people to take their receivers to tailgate parties. The catch is that you can use your subscription at two locations but only one at a time. If you are using your receiver on your boat, nobody can be using your subscription at home. The other catch is receiving local channels. Depending on how far away from home your boat is, you might be out of range of the spot beam of your local channels. There are map overlays for Google Earth that show you the spot beam targets for all the DTV birds. I am looking for them now. There ARE mobile and RV accounts available too. Not sure how they work, but the DTV website kinda explains it. It says you need to own and not lease the equipment.

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2756/related/1

I will see if I can find the maps for you, but if it's withing 125 miles, your good. over 125 but less that 250 and you would need a booster amp to receive locals over satellite.

Thanks Tom. I'm not so concerned with local channels, but it would be nice to have them on the boat. I'd be interested in seeing the map overlays if you can rustle up the map. I will google it myself and see where I get.

I don't think the Sea King terminal can receive DirecTV's Ka band HD services so you are only going to get the games in standard definition. Secondly, you need to be sure the receiver you have on the boat will work without their single wire multiswitch (SWM). All of their new DVR's require a SWM and the H25 receiver requires a SWM. You can make a SWM work with the Sea King terminal, but you would have to connect the two cables coming from it, to the correct input ports on the SWM, and then run a wire from the SWM to the receiver. There are few more steps, to make it work, but your eyes will glaze over if I tried to explain them here.

Tom

Bligh-Since I see you are a West Coast guy, if you are a PAC-12 fan, Direct TV does not carry the PAC-12 network. So, you miss quite a few PAC-12 games. I am a big U of Washington fan, we take the boat to the games, so we had to move from DTV to Dish to get all out games. We are getting ready now for the Seahawks game and will be anchoring out tomorrow for the Saturday UW game!

Bligh, if you have a Direct TV service at your home, the charge for a boat is like adding TVs at home. I would just put a receiver on the boat as you only pay a $6.00 charge plus equipment for each TV on the boat. Dish did not offer that. You will get the same channels you do at home including local if your boat is in the same area. For local channels on the boat, I call to have them switched to the local Florida area. By the way they carry the SE Conference Network where my grandson will be playing. That's pretty important to me.

Bligh, if you have a Direct TV service at your home, the charge for a boat is like adding TVs at home. I would just put a receiver on the boat as you only pay a $6.00 charge plus equipment for each TV on the boat.

Plus 1 :thumb:

And I use a regular single LNB Sat. dish, painted white and mounted on the mast. Easily adjusted by hand for use at the dock. Works great and azimuth doesn't seem to move after coming back from a run. Bought my receiver at Best Buy for $50. I have been tempted to switch to an RV tracking antenna but haven't seen the need to date!!

I have Dish at home and use the second receiver on the boat.
Since Dish can't track the receivers you can use both simultaneously.

Ronbo

I have DirecTV at home and put the 2nd receiver on the boat with a dish bolted to a dock roof support. A while back I bought Track-it tv rig which tracks the satellite while the boat is moving, everything else is still the same except I bought a new 20" dish for use on the Track-it.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409954389.348785.jpg

Here's a shot from the lower helm of the dish, I contemplated for 2 or 3 weeks where to mount. After a temporary mount on the starboard rail and using the boat for a few weeks I like it there. There is no interference with vision from the helm or view of the SB navigation light.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom