Manatee "Velvet" is back up for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great thinking, Craig. I'm sure we'll see some others follow your lead. My guess is that the majority of Manatee roofs are due for strengthening.

Silentfaith, Your project sounds like a lot less work than someone else's job. Was it Bucky or MangoMama? I'm curious if tightening the bolts down made your interior roof buckle up from the airspace between? I don't really have much of a sag issue on mine except in one small spot. It makes cleaning the top of the pilothouse a little harder but it's also been an excuse to not mount solar panels due to weight concerns. Photos would be great if possible.
Thanks for posting this and congrats on your purchase of Velvet, I've seen photos of her she is a fine boat.

Captgrail

Velvet's pilot house roof

Job is all done minus solar panels. Just want to say that there is really no air space except for the strength ribs . I avoided that area when placing the ipe on top also, the 3 bolts on each board are long thin 3/16 bolts that I cut off after the nuts were tightened so the fiberglass roof moved up to the wood. I did use a few boards inside to jack up the roof so as to not crack anything days before the install. When I painted the entire roof with the new deck paint I bought a bag of radiant barrier beads to mix with the paint and it stays cool to the touch on hot days. cpt.Craig

Silentfaith, Your project sounds like a lot less work than someone else's job. Was it Bucky or MangoMama? Captgrail

Yeah, that big ole long roof job was on Bucky. At least one of us had to open that roof up and see what it consisted of, not the least of which was 100 lbs. of glue. I'm thinking about doing a Facebook page just to keep these Manatee projects accessible for those of us that will be doing roof jobs in the future (that would be the great majority of us). It was a miserable project but it's done now and I can do somersaults on the roof. We probably ought to do a roll call on TF soon to find out how many boat owners have come over from the Yahoo Groups site.

It sounds as if Craig has come up with an affordable, reasonable repair method. Congrats, Capt. Craig, on your project completion. I sure hope you recorded the process for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom