The weekend from Hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Previous trip to the boat installed a new "Quiet Flush" toilet. Push the flush water button and it made more noise than the old not quiet flush, plus no water in the bowl. Went down this past weekend to relocate the water pump to the engine room. Got to the boat and the Y-Adapter had disappeared. Boat was hot and what little food we had in the fridge was spoiled. Also no cold ones. Trip the WM to pick up a 50amp to dual 30amp Y-adapter. 50amp plug doesn't fit, turns out the new cable was 50amp 125, pedestal was 50amp 125/250. Back to WM and of course they are out of the right cable but the WM across the lake has two. Trip across the lake and A/C up and running and fridge cooling down.

Next day relocated water pump for toilet. More hoses, fittings, etc. Got it all mounted and wired and pushed the flush water button. Same as last time, lots of noise and no water. Finally dawned on me, kinda slow sometimes, the prewired switch was wired wrong and the flush water button actually ran the discharge/macerator pump. Switched wires and no sound from the water pump but plenty of water. Discharge pump sounded like there was something loose in the pump. Decided to just remove toilet, take it home and investigate.

Had downloaded new Navionics charts for the plotter a while back so I mounted the plotter, installed the new software, put in the new chart chip, no charts. Put in the old chart chip, no charts. Did the whole procedure again, no charts.

So the weekend ended up with a new $270+ Y-Adapter, a none functioning "Quiet Flush" toilet and a chart plotter without charts.

Now I know why the call it "pleasure boating".

Bob

I should apologize for laughing so hard at your post, but I won't. We've all been there and feel your pain! Some days it just feels like the whole world is conspiring against you....

Reminds me of the 4 hours I spent on my (new to me then) boat trying to figure out where the damn switch was to turn on the davit crane. Finally, in desperation, I simply tried the remote (and it worked)....

:banghead:

Last edited:
I too feel your pain. Spent a month installing those "quiet flush" buggers. Well actually 4 hours on the actual install the rest of the time fighting with the supplier to get the switches to actually flush them. Only then to find they were louder than the old ones.:-[

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Look on the bright side, you, after going to WM had air.....all the rest is tolerable.

Yeah boy, isn't that the life. reminds me of what an old football coach once told us:

"We only can score so many touchdowns, and they're just a moment or two; the rest of the time you're just getting beat up, sometimes getting the best of that, sometimes not, but beat up one way or the other. But them touchdowns sure are sweet, ain't they? They don't come without the gettin' beat up"

You forgot the most important part-Did the beer get cold?

You forgot the most important part-Did the beer get cold?

Probably just about the time his Admiral said "Time to go"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Sounds really rough, Bob! Silver lining...at least you got a boat ride out of it!!

What's with these Y cords growing legs lately?

I have a quiet flush too, they should have a disclaimer, something like,
this toilet make less noise than a 747 taking off!

Oh well, at least it wasn't labeled "silent flush toilet."

I have a rule. on any day, if 3 things turn to $****, I quit doing $hit. Sometimes everything you do turns to $hit. Tommorrow will be better.

LOL
I feel your pain. I once spent hours trying to figure out why my radar wasn't working. I checked all my electronics, traced wiring, 12v system etc.... Turns out some bird had pecked around on the hard top and pecked the on/off button to off. How dumb is it that the off position is down?

Kulas,

I am totally with you on that!
About the only way I keep any sanity sometimes.
Nothing absolutely needs to be done Today. Oftentimes the next time it's a snap.

Yeah boy, isn't that the life. reminds me of what an old football coach once told us:

"We only can score so many touchdowns, and they're just a moment or two; the rest of the time you're just getting beat up, sometimes getting the best of that, sometimes not, but beat up one way or the other. But them touchdowns sure are sweet, ain't they? They don't come without the gettin' beat up"

That's really a great quote.
Thanks

We have a Quiet Flush, freshwater installation, and find it to be fairly quiet. Eventually, again.

Seems quieter than the Vacuflush we had in previous boat; thought the loud POP from that would wake the dead...

After a while (years), ours QF got louder and louder, and eventually started seeping around the macerator pump/motor assembly shaft seal. Tried a rebuild, sorta fixed the weeping, but it was still noisy. Replaced the whole macerator/motor assembly with new (I think 3 years ago), back to quiet, all good.

Almost. Had to replace the solenoid a bit later, maybe 2 years ago, or last year, can't remember. That was starting to allow fresh water past it, even when not called for. Easy fix.

Bob, I suspect from your original post you're working with a saltwater installation? So maybe the raw water supply water pump is an additional noise source? That would be different from ours...

-Chris

You can run the two pumps separately, two switches. It is saltwater flush but with the pump in the engine room you can't hear it run.

I took the toilet home, assuming there was some loose object in the discharge pump considering the noise it made. No loose items, seems the impeller is out of balance and that's what's causing the vibration and hence the noise. Contacted the dealer and they promised to contact the manufacturer.

We do have a Raritan Elegance in the aft head and the discharge pump is extremely quiet. Just didn't want to spend the money for a second one that will probably get very little use.

FlyWright, no boat ride, took the bridge to the other side of the lake. The marina manager acted like this was the first time she ever heard of Y-adapters being stolen. Everybody I talked to at WM thought that it was a very common item to be stolen.

The new one has the boat name in several places, painted Ford Lehman red in other places and is secured with a steel cable to a cleat on the dock.

Bob

There ya go, will not do em much good if they have to cut the y adaptor in1/2 to steal it.:lol:

We are on the end of a broker dock who also sells new boats. He has a company do the commissioning of the new boats on our dock. I'm thinking that maybe they are able to offer the new owners a special deal on slightly used Y-cables.

For someone with the tools it would not be that difficult to cut the cable. Hoping the cable and paint scheme will cause them to look elsewhere.

Bob

I'm feeling your pain Bob.

I'm doing a little bit of the gardening around the house. Started out with my dog barking over the fence at my new neighbor, which actually wasn't my new neighbor, but a huge black bear about five feet away from me. Then my chainsaw wouldn't start at all due to a broken fuel tank nipple. And now a just broke the shear pin in my PTO winch on the Land Cruiser. Now I remember why I hate gardening. I think I'm going to take the winch cable off, go down to the boat and drink beer. But not touch anything.

Doesn't sound like gardening, more like farming, chainsaw, PTO ?

Bob

It's a manly style of gardening.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom