Crimper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Were going be adding a Inverter Bypass and did multiple searches for crimping larger wire and after reading many threads we decided on one. I'll be giving a review once were done but that won't be for a little while. Also picked up a proper smaller terminal crimper to replace our dimple one. I admit, I gave into the peer pressure!:eek::D

Initial impressions- VERY, VERY solid feeling. Definitely a well built tool, also compared to others I like that it lists the lug size on the rotating dies rather than having a sticker on the handle that's says what size lug for ex, die B. Little things like that I like. I've ordered some lugs and cable for test crimps and report back.:thumb:

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409706083.418216.jpg

What did you actually buy? Greenlee??

Although I have an H.D. crimper I'm always curious. If I didn't have the one I have now I would have been in the market.

Mine is an adjustable Burndy MY29 which I've had for ~ 25 yrs. That's what my distr. had, that would not cost my arm and leg.

Thinking???? of one of the FTZ units for next time.

What did you actually buy? Greenlee??

Although I have an H.D. crimper I'm always curious. If I didn't have the one I have now I would have been in the market.

Mine is an adjustable Burndy MY29 which I've had for ~ 25 yrs. That's what my distr. had, that would not cost my arm and leg.

Thinking???? of one of the FTZ units for next time.

They're Greenlee K09-2GL. The FTZ units are great, I just likes the hexagonal crimp idea, but it don't matter neither way you can't go wrong. http://www.toolfetch.com/greenlee-k..._term=02628g&gclid=COCI1byQxMACFehj7AodggcA1Q

I think for nearly $300 it would make sense to rent that tool unless you're doing this for a living.

If you order your cable and terminals from genuinedealz.com they will attach the terminals for you for a small fee.

I think for nearly $300 it would make sense to rent that tool unless you're doing this for a living.

If you order your cable and terminals from genuinedealz.com they will attach the terminals for you for a small fee.

Well because were also going to using them for our heavy equipment business too, also you can't rent a tool when your stuck in the islands.

As to genuinedelaz making cables there's some runs that get complex and would be a PITA to measure 5 times so i dont get it wrong.

Well because were also going to using them for our heavy equipment business too, also you can't rent a tool when your stuck in the islands.

As to genuinedelaz making cables there's some runs that get complex and would be a PITA to measure 5 times so i dont get it wrong.

If you have another use for the tool it's probably a good investment.

For complex runs of expensive cable, I run a piece of heavy string or light line where the cable will go and then measure it. Use a long enough piece and you can leave the rest for a pull line for when you get the cable.

If you have another use for the tool it's probably a good investment.

For complex runs of expensive cable, I run a piece of heavy string or light line where the cable will go and then measure it. Use a long enough piece and you can leave the rest for a pull line for when you get the cable.

That's actually a great simple solution, add that to my book of tricks. Thanks!:flowers::)

I went back and forth about buying one when we rewired our sailboat. Decided to buy it just to have for future use. Sometimes convenience trumps cost (plus my wife never complains when I buy tools, as she knows it will result in something being fixed). I'll second genuinedealz as a great source for tinned wire and heatshrink connectors. Great prices, service and shipping.

I went back and forth about buying one when we rewired our sailboat. Decided to buy it just to have for future use. Sometimes convenience trumps cost (plus my wife never complains when I buy tools, as she knows it will result in something being fixed). I'll second genuinedealz as a great source for tinned wire and heatshrink connectors. Great prices, service and shipping.

Yeah it was an east choice for us too. I use genuinedealz for my lugs and get wire from a place called Pacer.

Best justification for my crimpers. I keep a small supply of cable and lugs on board. If I find corrosion, I replace the offending lug, cable without hesitation. That never happened when I had to order cable and lugs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom