New Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COCG47

New Guy checking in.* Been following these forums for some time and have found them very enlightening.* Looking forward to joining the conversations.

A little about me.* Active duty USN Captain.* Been in 26 years.* Not sure about retirement, but the Navy kicks me to the curb in 4 years anyhow.* Had command of USS TICONDEROGA (CG 47) 2002 - 2004 and Destroyer Squadron 14 2008 - 2009.* Just finished up my 100 Ton Near Coastal License and am waiting for the USCG to send my credential, and to see how much if any credit they give me for my USN time.

My wife and I made the switch from sail to power last year, and have been living aboard since December on our Jefferson 46.* Loving every minute of it.* Just work wasn't getting in the way.* We are planning on cruising after I retire.* Maybe the Loop, but definitely planning to head north to New England and the Chesapeake Bay in the summers, and spending the winters in FL and the Bahamas.* Mostly coastal cruising as I've stood enough mid-watches to last a lifetime already.

We got the boat cheap and it needs a ton of work, so looking forward to more of the cheap and great advice given here.

Update: Would help if I signed this...* I'm Glenn, and CINC-HOME is Kathy.

CAPT Glenn Zeiders, USN
M/V Syren
Jefferson 46

-- Edited by COCG47 on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 12:05:19 PM

First of all, thank you for your service on our behalf. We can have forums like this and bicker and fight over things like single vs. twin engines and what kind of anchor to use because of what folks like you continue to do for us.

Second, welcome to the forum. I can give you almost no cruising suggestions for that side of the country except one--- if you head north, go all the way to Maine. We spent a few days last year on our way to and from Prince Edward Island in Canada on the coast of Maine on some islands near Bath and it looks like it would be a wonderful place to boat. Particularly if you like lobster
smile.gif

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 11:59:31 AM

Welcome aboard.
Happy to hear*that Navy men on surface ships can stay in boating.
I boat out of Mystic, Ct and have several marina friends who are retired submariners and you know how they are. LOL

Welcome aboard Captain. New guy here myself. Again, another boater who appreciates the sacrifice and committmen you and other men and women make. I can give you some advise on your cruising choices, from mass and now live in Florida.

John

Thanks for the welcome, and I appreciate the kind words!* It's been a great ride, and I wouldn't have traded the last 26 years for anything.* Unfortunately, my days on surface ships are behind me, so all I'll be able to ride from here on out is a desk (other than my trawler).

I'm living in St Pete, FL now, but grew up boating in Massachusetts, and had my first two boats on the Chesapeake, sailing out of Norfolk.* Had the opportunity to sail the entire east coast (from the MA/ME border to Marathon) with the exception of the stretch of ICW from the NC/VA border to Savannah.* Looking forward to getting to that in a couple of years.* Not having 6 ft of draft and 53 ft of air draft should open up all kinds of neat possibilities.* I know there are tons of places I couldn't go in the sailboat that will now be open to me, and I can't wait.* When I had the sailboat in Jacksonville, it always ate at me that I couldn't get below Green Cove Springs on the St Johns River.* Doing the entire thing will be one of my first cruises.*

Unfortunately with*my current job, I'm stuck messing around in the area from Crystal River FL down to Ft Myers FL right now.* Guess it could be worse, especially with winter coming on for those of you up north, but I'm ready to get going!* I would love to hear about some of those*"gunk holes" where sailboats can't go along the east coast.*

Welcome aboard sir! There are numerous ex CG/Navy guys on this forum, myself included. We hope you enjoy your stay.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 02:43:57 PM

Welcome aboard Captain.
I also want to thank you for your service to our great country.
After you get settled in, I'll take a nice cold cervesa Presidente.

Welcome aboard Captain and greetings from the Great White north.
Prince William Sound Alaska.
Rebuilt my boat myself also. love every minute of it and still going.
This forum is a great place for info.
Enjoy.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 03:19:43 PM

SeaHorse II wrote:

Welcome aboard sir! There are numerous ex CG/Navy guys on this forum, myself included. We hope you enjoy your stay.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 14th of September 2010 02:43:57 PM
Moi aussi. Former lowly swabbie too many years ago to remember. But if you ever make it as far as Downeast Maine, give us a shout.

Welcome aboard Captain.

Thank you for your time in the USN.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.* There are a lot of nice places to cruise to in SW FL.

Welcome aboard!!! You wouldn't happen to know a Dave Zeiders??? I know that is an extremely long shot but that is also a fairly uncommon name. I knew Dave from Ft. hood when he was flying Apaches....lost touch with him after that.

John - Small world! Dave is my cousin (my dad's brother's son).* He is now living in the Champagne, IL area, and I believe he works at Univ. of Illinois.* Has a big family and is doing great.* I don't have Dave's email address handy, but sent a note to his dad with your post.

Glenn
M/V SYREN

-- Edited by COCG47 on Wednesday 15th of September 2010 08:00:10 AM

WOW!!!! Tell hi I said hello!!! I went to school in Killeen,Tx and we had some good times when he was down there. The we all went our separate ways and lost touch....

Yes, and welcome also from the land downunder. This forum is wooorldwide.
Please get a pic of your vessel up there on your Avatar/signature asap.
Oh yeah. After this weekend I'll have a new one, sans yellow bow stain. She's in the re-spray shed even as we speak, so to speak...... watch this space.

Hi Peter,When Tom White was here in Alaska he gave me some oxalic acid for that brown stain on my bow and it worked really well on our last haul out. It's rather benign stuff so don't let the word acid put you off and it removed lots of other stains on our hull. Ask him where he got it..

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

That is the brand name of some good stuff....and it is basically oxalic acid.

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 17th of September 2010 09:34:43 AM

We got the boat cheap and it needs a ton of work, so looking forward to more of the cheap and great advice given here.

AS you know by now there is the Right way , the Wrong way and the NAVY way.

AS the desires are so diverse for marine motorists , from inshore cruising to "Tahiti Bound" , the methods of looking at a problem , and the "solution" will be really varied.

Your list of Desirements will be needed to help you get on with any vessel changes.

My advice is to DO NOTHING , and go cruise the boat for a season , to find out just how you intend to cruise the boat .

Some folks run from Marina to Marina , others use their ground tackle , and only see a marina for fuel & water .

Your way?

nomadwilly wrote:

Hi Peter,
When Tom White was here in Alaska he gave me some oxalic acid for that brown stain on my bow and it worked really well on our last haul out. It's rather benign stuff so don't let the word acid put you off and it removed lots of other stains on our hull. Ask him where he got it..

Thanks for the tip Eric, but my bow stain was past even an acid wash - it had been done several times already.* However, if we can just get the rain to stop so the antifoul can be finished, then I can show off her new set of clothes* - paintwork that is.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom