Thread: It’s Showtime
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #1117
dannc
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Well, I was in the market for a KK42, but now... I dunno. Prices are probably gonna double after this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Massive congratulations on your successful crossing. Extremely inspiring. Makes me really wonder what the hell I'm doing with my life. I should be out doing this kind of thing! What am I waiting for?! Also, I really need to take some more meteorology courses... As everyone else has said, thank you for sharing all of this with us!
Yes, take some weather course and read some books.

Also, read up on storm tactics. The Pardy's and the Dashew's have good books on the subject. Further more, the Dashew's have a book about weather as well. Their two books are closely related in content which some might find repetitive, or as I do, more instructive.

The Dashew's website has a few discussions, SetSail» Blog Archive » Heavy Weather Issues

The Dashew's have written four books that I know of, and I have all four. I have read about 2.5 of the books. The half books is their boat encyclopedia which is huge. I bought two of their books and they have release their storm tactics and weather book for free download!

SetSail» Blog Archive » Weather Forecasting, Storm Tactics & Successful Cruising – Plus An Offer You Can’t Refuse

The hard back books are around $70 a book. I bought two of them and I will actually buy the two books that are free. I think the books are worth having in hard copy and taking up precious book space on a boat.

Another good book is http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Weather-...500+mb+book+li

I would suggest reading the weather books FIRST and then reading the Dashew storm tactics book. The Dashew books discuss weather AND the storms they use as examples. I think it would be more helpful to know more about the weather before jumping into the storm tactics book. I read the storm tactics book first, followed by the weather books. I wish I had done the revers.

The more you read, the more you know you know nothing.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote